Reload this Page >

Because it's free! Surprising how many drink just because of that

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Because it's free! Surprising how many drink just because of that

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
A group of 6 men going on vacation onboard already quite buzzed now drinking all the Bud Lite in F. They have little regard to anyone else on the plane. Its free and all about them. UGH!!!
Bud Light? You can seriously get drunk on that?

Last I heard Bud Light was like, um, intercourse in a canoe...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
First class serving Bud light? Or is this US-domestic upgrade class?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Actually, I'd be quite happy to share an F cabin with a bunch of guys drinking Bud Lite.

That means I have my choice of the liquor. @:-)

(I know...I know...UA doesn't exactly pour a top-shelf whiskey menu. But hey, it beats drinking college beer!)
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL PM
Excessive drinking in F and clubs

I'm always curious when I see my fellow passengers in F or at the airline clubs drinking what seems to me an excessive amount of alcohol. Just because it's "free". Case in point: flight this evening barely over 1 hour long and my seat mate had a total of 4 drinks (1 PDB and 3 more en-route). In the clubs, I've seen people drinking at all times of the day. I imagine a fair amount of these traveling alcohol users will eventually get behind the wheel of a rental car (or their own car) at their final destination.

Is it really just because it's free? I could perhaps see the financial draw at weddings / festivities with open bars - with large segments of society being present. But I imagine, and perhaps there is data to support this, that frequent flyers who earn status and/or carry club membership are, on average, better off financially than average, with "better" jobs, higher compensation, etc. In short, many of these folks can readily afford to buy all the alcohol they would ever want. And yet, when available without charge, there seems to me at least a tendency to over-indulge and over-consume (vs other "free perks" of travel, like coffee, juice, soft drinks, snacks, free newspapers in the clubs, etc).

So is there another explanation? Are the folks in the frequent-flying professions at higher risk for alcohol abuse? Is the culture of alcohol in the USA - where it is simultaneously glamorized, demonized, and irrationally restricted until age 21 (like some "forbidden fruit") to blame - does it create an irresistible or insatiable urge to imbibe alcohol once allowed and available? Does alcohol use while flying not count, sort of like calories on your birthday? Something else?

Or am I just way off base here.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:46 pm

A very similar thread has been posted recently:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-because.html

I'd say there's no one reason. It being free is definitely a big factor. I could buy $300 bottles of champagne, but wouldn't pay that by any stretch of the imagination. When it's free, I'll have a few glasses for sure as it's built into the cost of my ticket. One of the most beloved trip reports on this forum revolves around how one member destroyed 8 bottles of Dom on a long LAX-SIN flight, so I think there's definitely some admiration for drinking prowess around here (many trip reports include a brag/mention of how much they could drink, the more the better it seems.)
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
OTOH, I often feel cheated in the Club and onboard since I do not drink alcohol, and there is no way I can "make up" by eating snacks. I think many would agree that the high costs of booze means the other offerings are skimpy. I am a lifetime member of the UA club and get into DL by AmEx Reserve CC; both cost me a lot of money to eat crackers and cheese (but, I do get a civilized place to rest before flights). I would vote for a limit on drinks for an improvement in the "others".
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by relangford
OTOH, I often feel cheated in the Club and onboard since I do not drink alcohol, and there is no way I can "make up" by eating snacks. I think many would agree that the high costs of booze means the other offerings are skimpy. I am a lifetime member of the UA club and get into DL by AmEx Reserve CC; both cost me a lot of money to eat crackers and cheese (but, I do get a civilized place to rest before flights). I would vote for a limit on drinks for an improvement in the "others".
You probably don't want to go on an all-inclusive cruise line then either! I agree about the Tragedy of the Commons, but I don't see a practical way of limiting intake, beyond what's in place already for obviously inebriated pax.

The threads in FT like this one make me glad that I've never really experienced the horror shows others have..
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The FA cuts me off after 4, and I do it just to sleep, ORD PEK is a long way, as for an hour flight, don't see how the guy gets served that often.

I suspect the rim of the glass has a taste of booze on it, but the shot does not make it in the drink,

Like I said I pay very little attention to others,

Night.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
8 bottles of Dom from LAX-BKK on SQ in F

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 28, 2014 at 9:48 pm Reason: Fixed link
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
Is it really just because it's free?
Classical case of moral hazard
I could perhaps see the financial draw at weddings / festivities with open bars
Well, that already caused the situation that a lot of venues where weddings are hold, now require signing of legal release from every arriving guest and hosts... At least it is the case in Napa/Sonoma in California.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by tng11
there's definitely some admiration for drinking prowess around here (many trip reports include a brag/mention of how much they could drink, the more the better it seems.)
Makes their epeen bigger.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm always curious when I see my fellow passengers in F or at the airline clubs drinking what seems to me an excessive amount of alcohol. Just because it's "free". Case in point: flight this evening barely over 1 hour long and my seat mate had a total of 4 drinks (1 PDB and 3 more en-route). In the clubs, I've seen people drinking at all times of the day. I imagine a fair amount of these traveling alcohol users will eventually get behind the wheel of a rental car (or their own car) at their final destination.

Is it really just because it's free? I could perhaps see the financial draw at weddings / festivities with open bars - with large segments of society being present. But I imagine, and perhaps there is data to support this, that frequent flyers who earn status and/or carry club membership are, on average, better off financially than average, with "better" jobs, higher compensation, etc. In short, many of these folks can readily afford to buy all the alcohol they would ever want. And yet, when available without charge, there seems to me at least a tendency to over-indulge and over-consume (vs other "free perks" of travel, like coffee, juice, soft drinks, snacks, free newspapers in the clubs, etc).

So is there another explanation? Are the folks in the frequent-flying professions at higher risk for alcohol abuse? Is the culture of alcohol in the USA - where it is simultaneously glamorized, demonized, and irrationally restricted until age 21 (like some "forbidden fruit&quot to blame - does it create an irresistible or insatiable urge to imbibe alcohol once allowed and available? Does alcohol use while flying not count, sort of like calories on your birthday? Something else?

Or am I just way off base here.
You are perhaps not familiar with 'airport rules'?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
For my long haul red eyes, I like to get buzzed before I sleep. Yes I will drink my unhealthy dosage of champagne, red wine, port, whisky, until I'm basically drunk. Then I sleep like a baby.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
For my long haul red eyes, I like to get buzzed before I sleep. Yes I will drink my unhealthy dosage of champagne, red wine, port, whisky, until I'm basically drunk. Then I sleep like a baby.
+1
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Just flew SQ suites. I didn't have a drop of alcohol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.