Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most disappointing place you've been to

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, DL SM
[Moderator deleted quoted text to conform to its deletion above.]
First of all, I did actually stay outside the big cities as well, including in Leiden, Oegstgeest and Noordwijk, which did nothing to change my initial opinion. If anything, in Leiden some of the issues are more obvious because there are fewer tourists so it is more Dutch than the centre of Amsterdam. Secondly, it has been several years since I first visited and since then I have had a chance to talk to friends and colleagues who lived there for between 1-8 years (in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Groningen, Delft and Nijmegen). What they said only reinforced my impression.

Conformism - many Dutch care more about following protocol and arriving at work on their bikes at 9.00am than about work performance. They have a level of bureaucracy in everyday life which I have not encountered in the other 35 countries I visited - for example, to rent a bike from a public train station, you first need to apply for a rail photocard (takes many days), then apply for a service upgrade to your photocard (which takes another few working days) which will enable you to pay to rent the bike. They do not use credit cards and many shops, including grocery stores in central Amsterdam, will only accept special Dutch debit cards not used elsewhere in the world and reject Visa/MC/Amex. Dutch minimum salary, income tax and social security are so high that there is little motivation to work hard and indeed achievement is not really seen as admirable but rather as a product of individual circumstances. It is very common for people to stay in Holland their whole lives without working or studying abroad. You only need to visit a couple of other countries to see just how different the culture is.

From what I have heard and seen most Dutch are very happy to follow these rules and become very embedded in the system which however leaves little left in a way of personal expression and initiative. I would call that conformist.

I could write several pages on this topic including details, anecdotes, Dutch rules etc but this is probably not the thread for this - let's make a new thread/PM if you want the details and I would be happy to elaborate. Your post on the other hand did nothing but say that you think I am wrong. You gave no evidence to support your statement.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 4, 2015 at 5:16 pm Reason: To conform to earlier post deletion.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
A person outside of nord Holland and south Holland would never call it Holland.
I beg to differ: do you know what the Dutch people yell to support the national football (soccer) team?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by Myyra
I beg to differ: do you know what the Dutch people yell to support the national football (soccer) team?
Don't let my name fool you. I know more about the Netherlands than you may think. and Hup Holland has a better ring than Hup Netherlands. In Dutch, if it rhymes or has alliteration then it must be true!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:25 am

Bristol, UK...the food was awful, the weather was dreary, and there was limited entertainment. The people were nice...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
The USA. That is the bit in the middle. several places within 100 miles of the coast are interesting, quirky or iconic. The rest of it is full of nothing of any interest to anyone who's society has seen the Age of Enlightenment. And I have been, oh yes indeed!
I'd say your mindset is right on par with that of worldspan. How fitting!

Last edited by 84fiero; Aug 4, 2015 at 6:37 am
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:29 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

The USA. That is the bit in the middle. several places within 100 miles of the coast are interesting, quirky or iconic. The rest of it is full of nothing of any interest to anyone who's society has seen the Age of Enlightenment. And I have been, oh yes indeed!
If you started to feel homesick, you could have visited the Clydesdales in St. Louis...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: SPG, Delta, AA, AC (Aeroplan)
Berlin, Milan (business district), Abu Dhabi...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
DFW Terminal C Admirals Club

I don't know why, but I was so excited to visit it. I was with a family member, so I walked in, looked around, and walked right back out. The terminal might be nicer, but that's all my opinion.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'd say your mindset is right on par with that of worldspan. How fitting!
The funny thing is there are scarcely any inhabitants further than 100 miles from the coast in Oz unlike the US which boasts such delights as Detroit and Minneapolis, not to mention their charming gun toting citizens.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
If you started to feel homesick, you could have visited the Clydesdales in St. Louis...
Not even proper Budweiser...sigh as ever the European original is so obviously superior
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
The funny thing is there are scarcely any inhabitants further than 100 miles from the coast in Oz unlike the US which boasts such delights as Detroit and Minneapolis, not to mention their charming gun toting citizens.
Watch your mouth!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Yorkshire was a disappointment. Not enough flat caps and puddings; too many little yipping terriers.

I don't suppose there's any possibility that this thread could get away from national stereotyping and back to "places that you've always dreamed of visiting but turned out to be disappointing," is there?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
You sound like half the people I knew when I lived in New York!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
You sound like half the people I knew when I lived in New York!
Only Half? Though in all seriousness unlike another who appeared to find no favour in any aspect of Australia I think the despite the scenery, wildlife, hospitality, food and wine there is probably more culture in a pot of yoghurt than the average aussie town....
As has been said elsewhere, Sydney is the only truly international city in Oz. Friends of ours when we visited them in Brisbane this year expressed astonishment at our intent on spending an afternoon exploring the city. In truth it took less than an hour....

Last edited by YorkieFlyer; Aug 4, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Watch your mouth!
Yes indeed and that was in part a deliberate oblique reference. However I was trying to avoid an Omni rant at sterotypical,backwoodsman hick types....oops thats done it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.