Most disappointing place you've been to

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Bangkok--some people love it, but it just seems like a massive, sprawling, culturally bankrupt city without much character and terrible nightlife if you're not looking for ladies (or ladyboys).
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I quite like Bangkok, despite not being into Thai ladies or boys. They have the world's best value 5* hotels, for one thing. Chinatown is also really nice to stroll around.

On topic, I went to Marbella/ Porto Banus last weekend. The party has well and truly moved on, leaving only those too dumb and unimaginative behind.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
You and I can meet for a beer next time we're in Moab for a long weekend.
Can I join in?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JamieDee78
Several years ago on a Berlin to Budapest trip, I found Vienna to be quite boring and disappointing actually. Maybe it was because our hotel was far from the city center and the weather was gloomy, but the city itself seemed to lack the charm and character of Berlin, Prague and Budapest.
I said something quite similar upthread, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:14 pm

I was not a huge fan of Barcelona. Call me crazy, but I just did not enjoy the vibe. Certain things in the city are great and fun. Just was not my cup of tea. Can't quite put a finger on why.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by srk123
USC. Go to UCLA instead.
^^^
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Barstow is a nice little place

Last edited by smith80678; Jul 25, 2014 at 4:27 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by srk123
What's your problem with Barstow? A delightful city to visit in the summer.
Well, it's no Bakersfield.

Originally Posted by littlesheep
[Re: Moab] Can I join in?
Sure. Though you might have to change your handle to borrega as desert bighorn sheep are native to the area.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Las Vegas, at least the first time I was there (tagging along with my wife, who was attending a conference). Once I lowered my expectations a lot to take account of the tackiness and artificiality of the place, a couple of return trips there were ok.

Dallas: There's not there there.

Boston: It certainly has its redeeming features, in terms of some pretty areas, a nice stretch of about a month in the autumn, and good restaurants. But overall it's really overrated. Racist (both in my observations and the experiences of many minority friends); provincial; unfriendly; the worst, rudest and angriest drivers in the world (and I've driven in much of the world); even putting the drivers aside, a horrible place to drive due to the nonsensical tangle of streets that are clogged with ice and snow much of the year; and finally all of that ice, snow and cold for an extremely long winter and generally lousy weather the rest of the year except for that short stretch in the fall.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred

You should try driving in Puerto Rico, I thought that was the worst place.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smith80678
That's the truth. My first time there we used the rental car the first night and then cabs the next one after the awful experience driving..
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: DL FO; A3 *G; AA PLT; et cetera
Originally Posted by zcat18
Bangkok--some people love it, but it just seems like a massive, sprawling, culturally bankrupt city without much character and terrible nightlife if you're not looking for ladies (or ladyboys).
I've heard Bangkok described as "Houston with better food." I had a good time when I was in Bangkok, though. But definitely felt I had checked all of the boxes after a few days. I haven't done more with Houston than change planes at IAH, so I cannot comment on the veracity of the analogy.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond
This is an interesting thread.

For me, it's Seattle (those little a**holes panhandling for craft beer just killed me), Hawaii (meh) and Vegas (classless extravaganza!). I also was underwhelmed by Barcelona, couldn't put my finger on why either, but I don't mind Brussels.

Two places I was ready to dislike but instead fell in love with are Middelburg, Netherlands and Aalesund, Norway.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by TheTravelingDan
I was not a huge fan of Barcelona. Call me crazy, but I just did not enjoy the vibe. Certain things in the city are great and fun. Just was not my cup of tea. Can't quite put a finger on why.
I didn't like Barcelona much either. Though I do love Vienna. Lately I have been underwhelmed by Liechtenstein. Very expensive and surprisingly mundane. I also thought Innsbruck would be prettier than it is.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by smith80678
Try Romania -- idiots driving donkey carts through town -- and Israel, especially in the West Bank. Nearly ran off the road by three big yellow VW vans there today. Unsure if they were military or something else.

Puerto Rico is Disney's Autopia in comparison.

I'll also add that Vienna felt like an expensive waiting room, but I've only been for short stays overnight to/from BUD so that's probably not fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.