Most disappointing place you've been to

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most disappointing place you've been to

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
When I went to London Tower for the first time and realized that...it's not really a tower.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
When I went to London Tower for the first time and realized that...it's not really a tower.
Are you sure you went to the right place? I'm not sure how tall you were expecting something built almost 1,000 years ago to be?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by phol
Are you sure you went to the right place? I'm not sure how tall you were expecting something built almost 1,000 years ago to be?
LOL yes but all the other towers (Berlin TV, SkyTree, Kyoto, Eiffel, etc) I'm used to seeing the natural expectation is to have to crane your neck. The first time I just skirted the outside, but the 2nd time I took my Mom for her birthday and we went inside with one of the Yeoman Warders which was really cool.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PABLOCO
The most disappointing place for me was Cozumel in Mexico.
The diving is way superior in CZM, though. Unless you're a caver and want to dive the cenotes.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Florence...it was such a brown city. I expected more.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
The Tower of London is, of course, a tower -- just not a very tall one by modern standards.

Your story reminds me of my bitter disappointment on seeing the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles for the first time. I was nine years old, and my mother had described the famous splendor of the place, probably to overcome some reluctance I'd displayed. I had pictured mirrors on two, facing walls, which would have been really cool. Instead, all I saw was a really long room with worn-out mirrors on one wall! Where's the fun in that?

The next time I visited the palace of Versailles was thirty-five years later. It was a chilly fall day and there were very few tourists. I noticed an American couple with a couple of kids. The kids were moping, looking just about as enthusiastic as I'd been on my previous visit. I thought they might pep up a little if I shared my past disappointment, which I proceeded to do, but it didn't seem to help much.

Actually, I wasn't all that much more excited on my second visit to the Palace than I'd been on the first. I didn't actually cry this time though.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Actually, I wasn't all that much more excited on my second visit to the Palace than I'd been on the first. I didn't actually cry this time though.
Oddly I wasn't particularly impressed by the palace itself (Windsor castle made Versaille look like a bungalow in comparison), I had a lot of fun looking at the busts of all the famous French generals, knights, philosophers and kings. I'm weird like that.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, NEXUS
Originally Posted by bristoldave
Brussels.

Dear god, Brussels.

That place is beyond boring, and of the painful time I spent there, 80% of it was spent in a traffic jam. Awful place.

Aside from a couple of quaint little places like Bruges (though frankly, if you've seen the film "In Bruges", you've seen Bruges), Belgium is a place that exists solely for you to travel through or over to reach more interesting countries.
Awww...and I really like Belgium *hides head in shame*

I should add Berlin. Not disappointing. I just left on the plane thinking "meh".
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Mt. Rushmore - Got there after driving through the Badlands and after 10 minutes turned to my friend and said "This is it
Agreed. When I went there I stared for a few minutes then said "now what?". At least nearby is Wind Caves National Park which is great.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Yeah, there's not even a revolving restaurant on top.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Cote d'Azur, including Cannes and Monte Carlo.

Visiting in July probably wasn't a good idea. Crowded, smelly, dirty, touristy, and most especially nerve-wracking to drive. Gotta admit, though, I'm not a beachy type of person.

Overall, found Provence to be by far my least favorite part of France of those I've visited (still yet to visit Alsace, Brittany, Bordeaux and Languedoc-Rousillon).
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Two places:

Milan and Seoul.

I knew Milan was industrial, but I was hoping that I'd enjoy it more. It was boring and the drivers were so bad, I was afraid to go anywhere. I know that driving is terrible in many countries, but I'm used to underdeveloped countries where taxis cost pennies on the dollars. I didn't have the budget to take taxis all over Northern Italy, so had to drive. Not great, even when I got out into the countryside.

Seoul was a MAJOR disappointment. Friends had told me that "if you like Tokyo, you'll love Seoul!" Nothing could be further from the truth. Aside from a few interesting sites, I found Seoul to lack all of the charm and excitement of Tokyo. The only thing that's better in Seoul is the food.

Edit to add: Dubai. It was awful! An artificially manufactured oasis in a very boring desert. People are supposed to go for fun, but nearly everything fun is illegal. Most people just hope that they don't get caught and they probably don't if they stay in the designated tourist/expat areas. However, I would prefer to go to some place that's not under Sharia law.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:55 am

Tokyo Tower: Designed and build to be a tourist trap.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:17 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
Two places:

Seoul was a MAJOR disappointment. Friends had told me that "if you like Tokyo, you'll love Seoul!" Nothing could be further from the truth. Aside from a few interesting sites, I found Seoul to lack all of the charm and excitement of Tokyo. The only thing that's better in Seoul is the food.
I think the food is brilliant in both countries, and have had unusual experiences eating in both too.
But broadly speaking, the cuisines are extremely different, and wouldn't say that one is better than the other.

WRT Seoul, the only thing I liked about it (thus far) was the Dokdo display at their City Hall. Otherwise, it's just full of itself.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:47 pm

The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen which is quite literally...little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.