Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2014 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2014, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread is the discussion thread for the 2014 Air Travel Pet Peeves Survey, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine and FlyerTalk. The survey focuses on the in-flight experience. The poll ran from July 10 through August 20, 2014.

The results have been published here:
Lack of Personal Space and Misbehaving Passengers Continue Reign as Top Air Travel Pet Peeves
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
None of my top peeves appeared as survey options: inaccurate or absent communication from the airline, over-optimistic turn schedules resulting in late flights, regional jets replacing mainline ops, 50+ upgrade candidates vying for 2 or 3 open F seats, seat poachers, inflight crews insisting they still work for airline brands that no longer exist, gate lice / mobs ignoring boarding processes, holding short of the gate on arrival because ground crews can't be mustered or forgot you were coming, agents / FAs promising "they'll hold your connection for you, they know you're coming" when it's gone already.
Agreed.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Just an annoyance

I dislike the forced smile the FA's are required to give us as we inch our way into the aircraft. The FA's are busy getting the galley ready. They have real work to do. I don't need this contrived encounter to feel welcome.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: AF P, BA G, A3 *G, EK G
1: door closed then the announcement of a 90 minute delay.

2: EK drink service coming 30 minutes after meal service

3: TEENAGERS
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

People watching videos or listening to music on ipads or similar without headphones.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
People watching videos or listening to music on ipads or similar without headphones.
Or listening to it on cheapo headphones that leak!
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
On long-haul TPAC/TALT flights

Flight attendants who disappear after meal service.

On the other hand, flight attendants who cluster in a galley, leave the curtain open (causing harsh light to beam in passenger's eyes) and who carry on loud conversations.

Flight attendants who are apparently afraid, or too lazy, to clean up bathrooms leaving passengers to fend for themselves.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:33 am

+10 for people in general

+1000 for people getting in line to board when they are zone 2 and it is still pre-boarding. Same for first class when announcement hasn't even been made. Your seats are assigned no need to cause a traffic jam and slow the process.

Loud talkers, I don't want to hear about your life from four rows away.

Arriving "early" only to sit on the tarmac until arrival time because the gate isn't available.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Slow drink service. If you just want a cup of juice or soda and are sitting in the back of economy, the food and drink carts can now take 90 minutes to reach you because of all the credit card transactions that have to be run up.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: DL FO; A3 *G; AA PLT; et cetera
A subset of the "too many announcements": I find the FA's hawking credit cards to be really annoying.

Seatmates.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I still don't understand how some don't know how to conduct themselves around others.

- cutting nails with nail cutter....I had a woman cutting her cuticles! Then she BRUSHED it off her lap onto the floor.

- propping feet up on the wall is one thing, propping it on the back of my armrest is another (I smelled foot odor and couldn't figure out what was happening. Person behind me propped his feet on the back of my arm rest...it was disgusting).

- people who play with anything that makes a clicking sound. One was opening and closing his side compartment while he was watching his movie...and woke me up. I had a woman on an Emirates flight who had a "counter" in her hand and was counting - clicking - her prayers the entire flight. It echoed throughout the cabin.

- people who don't say please and thank you. I never understand how people can be so inconsiderate to those serving them.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Babies and infants. Doesn't have to be misbehaving, just the mere existence of them on the plane
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
I still don't understand how some don't know how to conduct themselves around others.

- cutting nails with nail cutter....I had a woman cutting her cuticles! Then she BRUSHED it off her lap onto the floor.

- propping feet up on the wall is one thing, propping it on the back of my armrest is another (I smelled foot odor and couldn't figure out what was happening. Person behind me propped his feet on the back of my arm rest...it was disgusting).

- people who play with anything that makes a clicking sound. One was opening and closing his side compartment while he was watching his movie...and woke me up. I had a woman on an Emirates flight who had a "counter" in her hand and was counting - clicking - her prayers the entire flight. It echoed throughout the cabin.

- people who don't say please and thank you. I never understand how people can be so inconsiderate to those serving them.
That's why we have an "Adults misbehaving" peeve in the survey. While the last one isn't misbehaving per se, it does show very poor upbringing.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jspira
These are all great peeves but the survey is specifically geared peeves from the in-flight experience, i.e. once you are on the plane.

I'm making a note of your pre-flight peeves, however, because we've been discussing a survey on this aspect of flying as well.
That is probably not a bad idea.

In fact, I would not be surprised if there was more than enough material to support a survey based on post-flight “pet peeves” as well...
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie

In fact, I would not be surprised if there was more than enough material to support a survey based on post-flight “pet peeves” as well...
We have that - the Hotel Pet Peeves survey.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
1. If you want to look out a the window, book a window seat not an aisle
2. If you want to sit next to your spouse, book 2 seats next to each other.
3. Sitting in the middle doesnt entitle you to both arm rests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.