Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Visiting the Airport Control Tower?

Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Hello. Stupid question, but I was thinking it would be a interesting "field trip" to bring some folks from work to visit the airport control tower to see the operations.

Has anyone ever done something like this? Like tried to contact the FAA and set something up?

Or is this just never going to happen....
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
I'm from Australia and have done it many times. Generally if you know someone who is an air traffic controller, or you work in a job where you have a reason to be familiar with air traffic control operations, it can be easy to set something up....
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Assuming you are in the US.

I recall going on a field trip to see the tower many years ago, long before 9/11 and the TSA. I suspect it would be very difficult these days. You are correct that the FAA would be who to ask, probably at your local airport.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:59 am

-----

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:42 pm
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:28 am

These days there's not much that you can see in a control tower that you can't see on flightradar24.com. The security argument doesn't really wash if it's a civil airport.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I find it amazing that they can keep track of everything. I'd be a nervous wreck doing that job.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by c5marine
Hello. Stupid question, but I was thinking it would be a interesting "field trip" to bring some folks from work to visit the airport control tower to see the operations.

Has anyone ever done something like this? Like tried to contact the FAA and set something up?

Or is this just never going to happen....
An individual group will most likely be turned down by the FAA, you have to know someone that work there to bring your group in.

Another source is look for Airliners International, they organize airline collectibles show, every year being held in different cities, like this year just finished in LAX, it will have different tours like airport operations including the airport control tower, but these tours are paid tours though.

Originally Posted by ROCAT
The availability of tours is up to the managers of the individual facilities, but as a rule tours are only given to users of the system and have a group backing them so airlines, flight schools, military units, etc. Most smaller facilitates do not have the personal to give tours; the bigger ones safety, security, and disruption concerns usually cause tours to be turned down.
You don't need to have a group backing the tour like airlines, flight schools, military units, it is about the people you know, and most likely those who work there (e.g. airport management executives) can bring you in, and it can be small or bigger facilities, like I had been to the ORD tower with a group of 10 frequent flyers by friend of a friend that work in ORD.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jul 12, 2014 at 10:11 am
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:09 am

-----

Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ROCAT
Airport executives cannot give tours of a FAA facility all they can do is request them as they do not work at a facility.
Yes the easiest way to get a tour is to know a controller, but if the OP is asking here I would doubt they know one.
Actually they can, like I said, it is about who you know.

I know for sure the friend of a friend that brought me in wasn't a controller, and I didn't need a background check in order to go up the tower.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:24 am

-----

Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yes, we visit MIA control tower years ago. We have a nice tour for aviation photography. Unfortunately, there is no camera allowed. Because it's restrictions and also, we had a nice tour at FAA control center. I remember Airliners International 2001 Miami. They offer me to get on the tour at FAA control center & control tower.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there was a DO a few years ago that organized a control tower tour at a major USA airport. They discovered at the last minute that USA citizenship was required.

So the OP should be sure to check this issue early if any of the work people to be invited might not have USA citizenship and photo ID documents such as passports to prove it.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: SK Diamond
I have visited two Norwegian towers, including both APP and TWR in the larger one where these weren't seated and "done together". Being on the very top floor of the tower watching the controllers working was really fascinating and inspiring to me.

(And now I am moving to North Dakota in September to start my education as a Norwegian Air Traffic Controller.)
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:01 pm

Norway trains their air traffic controllers in North Dakota??
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:43 pm

-----

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.