Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Age discrimination when flying in premium cabins?

Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
I was once told by the AA staff at YYZ that this is the business class line. And I replied...good, then I'm in the right line.. I'm 30ish but was traveling with a back pack..I was dressed not to bad..white running shoes, jeans(no rip)& report. Maybe it was the back pack I love to travel light
Not age discrimination as described. There was nothing taken away/prevented that others were given. Just profiling which happens throughout life to anyone that does not fit the norm. I found ground staff anywhere that will ask in a questioning tone, rather than as a reminder, the boarding group as you approach the gate. But then they will let the 80 yo do what he wants with no question, and be surprised the trouble it causes when the 80 yo should not be there. Stupid is as stupid does LOL
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I can understand what the O.P. is trying to convey here. If I'm in a suit or blazer sans tie I usually don't have much trouble as it conveys some respectability and authority. If I'm casual, I'll be addressed as "Hunny" or "Young Man" by various airport and airline workers while others are "Sir" or "Mr. So and So." I also notice flight attendants (can I please call them stewardesses or stewards?) in first-class won't take your jacket or coat if you're not wearing a sport jacket, blazer or suit jacket. At least that's my experience -- and it's the rule, not the exception for me.

I get upgraded as a Delta Medallion about 55-60% of the time and I find, based on these experiences, the first-class service to be only significantly better perhaps 30% of the time. The service in the other 70% of my experiences are either on par, worse or only marginally better than economy (a.k.a. steerage). I always enjoy the very odd flight when the captain comes out before embarkation and thanks the first-class passengers. This has happened twice since January. Two other flights the captain was at the boarding door greeting each and every flight. Another flight the captain walked the aisle and shook everyone's hands in both cabins.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
We definitely need to introduce anti-glaring legislation. This kind of discrimination is intolerable. You may mock, but that's because you've never been GLARED at.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by tng11
... I've also gotten the occasional glare from other passengers ... as they walk by my seat ...
This is not age related. We all get it. It is called jealousy. Or perhaps a misplaced feeling of inequality.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I was once told by the AA staff at YYZ that this is the business class line. And I replied...good, then I'm in the right line.. I'm 30ish but was traveling with a back pack..I was dressed not to bad..white running shoes, jeans(no rip)& report. Maybe it was the back pack I love to travel light
I've had a few of those moments.

It's always amusing to have someone walk up behind you in line and have them tell you to "get out of their way, they're in first class" and then you end up sitting next to them in first. I'd be lying if I said hadn't offered a smug, condescending smile to them as I sat down next to them once or twice.

That's really a display of ignorance on their part, as if flying first class is still some of sort status symbol only for the rich and powerful.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Boy, there are a lot of mind-readers on this board, able to intuit the malevolent thoughts and psychological motivations of others based only on their "glaring" facial expressions. Kind of reminds me of the time my boss told me that I must be having insubordinate thoughts at a meeting, based on the fact that I wasn't smiling.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the best threads in Flyertalk, ever, is on this very subject:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ing-elite.html
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I've had that. I giggle at it. I travelled Vancouver to Melbourne on my own for a holiday on Qantas. When we transferred at Sydney for Melbourne I was directed to the economy line. I guess after nearly 15 hours of flying I was a tired wreck and obviously looked it. I was just in that kind of mood and said..."excuuuuuse me, I'm in this line and pointed to the premium lane!" His only response was "I'm so sorry"... code for, "I couldn't care less!"
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by mandolino
We definitely need to introduce anti-glaring legislation. This kind of discrimination is intolerable. You may mock, but that's because you've never been GLARED at.
I love being glared at as I sit in my fancy seat with economy passengers streaming past me to go back to row 2045. That glaring means folks are envious!!!!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
It's been a long time since I was in this category but I did start flying (>100k per year) when I graduated college at 20 (in the late 70's). We flew first for business, I traveled with a stack of AA Airchecks (blank tickets you could fill out at the gate).

I may just have been oblivious but I never felt any reaction or difference because of my age (part of it was the FA's were a lot younger then - closer to my age). I guess the oddest moment was when I went to dinner in California with some clients and we had drinks. I was a little nervous as I was still a few months under CA's 21 drinking age but I didn't get proofed (it would have been a little embarrassing).
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by JMN57
We flew first for business, I traveled with a stack of AA Airchecks (blank tickets you could fill out at the gate).
You aren't Frank Abagnale, are you?

Originally Posted by JMN57
I may just have been oblivious but I never felt any reaction or difference because of my age (part of it was the FA's were a lot younger then - closer to my age).
Now Delta's are mostly moms and grandmothers. The few young ones (under 35) typically aren't that attractive, either. What's with obese flight attendants on small planes? Talk about extra weight and higher costs.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You aren't Frank Abagnale, are you?

Now Delta's are mostly moms and grandmothers. The few young ones (under 35) typically aren't that attractive, either. What's with obese flight attendants on small planes? Talk about extra weight and higher costs.
Some of the moms and grandma's were actually hotties in my youth

And the under 35 crowd weren't even in diapers

I looked young for my age back then, too. Which is still working for me though - I'm in my later 50's but most people think I'm in my early 40's.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador

Nothing beats the looks my 2 young kids get when they are occasionally sitting in first, not sure if the looks are envy or dismay...especially by those who felt their upgrade didn't clear because a couple kids took 'their' seat... I wanted to get my kids T-shirts that said WFBF
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
"Act like you've been there before."
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
"Act like you've been there before."
That's tough for a two-year old.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.