Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flight Delayed - then CANCELED!

Flight Delayed - then CANCELED!

Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vincewy
Seconded. Plug in UA and DEN or UA and ORD (the worst of all) or UA and SFO.

I wouldn't even mind if they cancel outright from the beginning, this seems normal from UA while other carriers are operating normally under perfect weather.

For this reason I never connect any international flights with UA domestic despite all the perks and benefits (lounge and extra luggage allowance) as *G. I have been using DL to get to US INT'L gateways (JFK, BOS, LAX, IAD) and it works out pretty well as seperate ticket with long layover (sometimes overnight).
According to the inforrmation to the left of your post under your username, DTW seems to be your home airport.

In case you haven't already noticed, DTW *is* an international gateway airport. Instead of flying DL to BOS, JFK, etc., why not take a nonstop from DTW? In addition to DL nonstop flights to LHR, AMS, CDG, FRA, NRT, PVG, PEK etc. there should be LH to FRA and KE to ICN IIRC and probably others I'm forgetting to list.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 6P&E
I flew BNA-IAD-VIE-GYD in May. OS was the TA carrier and beyond , while UX was domestic from BNA to IAD. Although there was a flight that would have given me a 90 minute connection time in IAD, knowing that UX runs chronically late, I took an earlier flight out of BNA with a 5 hour layover. Having access to the LH Lounge at IAD helped. While in IAD I checked the status of the later UX flight from BNA to IAD (the one I had refused), and sure enough, it was runnning 2 hours late. I would have missed my OS flight to VIE and the connection to GYD. Any rebooking to GYD would have been a challenge.
What is GYD? I can't find it in the FT airport lookup code.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is GYD? I can't find it in the FT airport lookup code.

Baku, Azerbaijan
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
According to the inforrmation to the left of your post under your username, DTW seems to be your home airport.

In case you haven't already noticed, DTW *is* an international gateway airport. Instead of flying DL to BOS, JFK, etc., why not take a nonstop from DTW? In addition to DL nonstop flights to LHR, AMS, CDG, FRA, NRT, PVG, PEK etc. there should be LH to FRA and KE to ICN IIRC and probably others I'm forgetting to list.
FYI, when I fly overseas, why choose UA/DL/AA when TK offers generous tier threshold, great food, large Premium Economy seats and more? I'm willing to go out of the way to get better products for such long flights. Now with my membership tier I get upgrade vouchers too.

Flying just domestic, UA is fine since delays and cancellations won't ruin my trips overseas, so far 40% of UA flights I have taken were either cancelled and/or delayed and I'm not even talking about UX at this point.

Regarding UA/UX connecting LH/SK/LX/OS/NZ flights through major US airports, I never understand why they only offer 1.5 to 3 hours connections under 1 ticket from domestic to international with changes of terminals at those major airports. When I was purchasing SK tickets, they didn't even offer longer connections, just 1.5 to 2 hours through EWR, ORD or IAD, ouch!

I would've preferred at least some options with 5-hour layovers, which seems to be the sweet spot for me now (enough time for me to relax at lounges/food courts and not to get stressed about delays/missed connections, quick enough for me not to waste more time at airports or even having to stay at hotels).

Last edited by vincewy; Jul 7, 2014 at 8:53 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
So it would be pretty easy to go from IAD to Union Station and then to EWR by train.
That sounds incredibly painful until the train to IAD is complete. Something I'd of course do if all flights were canceled, but not just as an avoidance of a possible delay...not even to avoid our friend United Express.

The greatest chance for a delay in that itin would be road travel to Union Station.

From DCA it's a different story, although no one is flying long-haul int'l into DCA.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by pinniped
That sounds incredibly painful until the train to IAD is complete. Something I'd of course do if all flights were canceled, but not just as an avoidance of a possible delay...not even to avoid our friend United Express.

The greatest chance for a delay in that itin would be road travel to Union Station.

From DCA it's a different story, although no one is flying long-haul int'l into DCA.
DCA is much better, you are right. I used to live in Falls Church, and would consider it doable, but I see the reasons not to. Having said that, it is possibly more reliable than United Express. And I hated those express flights back when I used to fly United.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:42 am

A cab from IAD to Union Station would be expensive but not too awful depending on time of day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.