Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can i get a refund for Flight tickets i already bought?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:11 am
Original Poster

I have a family member who bought me flight tickets. I don't want to go. The trip is in a week. Can i still refund?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:20 am

Short answer: It depends.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:32 am

Check the fare rules and you'll know if the ticket is refundable or not.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT!

The slightly longer answer is that different tickets have different rules. We need to know two things to answer this question:

1. What airline is the ticket on?

2. What is the fare class of the ticket? That is usually a single upper-case letter. If there is a code of several letters and numbers, it's the first character. If you can't figure it out, call the airline and ask them. You will need another way to identify the ticket, but your name and the flight information will probably be enough.

Once you have this information, you can either call the airline (the only way to get an absolutely official answer) or ask in that airline's forum on FlyerTalk (which may also give you suggestions for what to do if the airline says a refund is not possible). If you want to move this thread to that forum, click the "Alert a Moderator" triangle under your name and post count in the first post, and explain your request in the dialogue box that shows up. It may take a few hours for that to happen, as the request has to be seen by a human moderator and acted on, but they're pretty good.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Very high probability you're holding a nonrefundable fare. Depending on airline, there may be a fee to reuse it on different flights.

On the off chance that you're holding a refundable fare, chances are good that it refunds back to the purchaser's form of payment.

Chances are rather remote that you can walk into an airport and collect cash for your ticket when someone else booked it on their credit card.

But without the airline, fare bucket, and ticket rules, no one can say for certain. If you are holding a nonrefundable fare that you know you don't want to fly, then the advice on what to do next varies widely by airline.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
How long ago was the ticket bought? Some airlines allow to void the ticket and refund your money I cancelled less than 24 hours after booking.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Refunds, if allowed by fare rules, go to the purchaser of the ticket, not the traveller.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Is the poster never going to be seen again despite all the helpful advice offered?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Is the poster never going to be seen again despite all the helpful advice offered?
Probably not. My guess is they found their record locator, logged in to the airline site, and quickly found their answer one way or the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.