Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you check your hotel room for corpses?

Do you check your hotel room for corpses?

Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by meducate
There is one missing: flush the toilet. You never want to call someone to fix it AFTER you've used it and it doesn't flush!
Never did it, never had a problem. Will start doing now.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by enviroian
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I just read this article. I usually just get to my room, and take out my laptop and start working. What lengths do you go through to ensure your room is up to par, or are most people like myself and simply accept that the hotel has done a decent enough job ensuring it is relatively safe and clean?
Well safe and clean are one thing however checking for a dead body in the room is a little different. A little over drama with the title?
Ever stay at Manhattan's Hotel Carter?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/01/nyregion/01hotel.html

Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I've only had 2 corpses in 100's of stays, so not a bad ratio.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I suggest also checking your room for copses, you don't want to find a small group of trees suddenly in the middle of the night you know.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Middle of the night, if staying outdoors, a small copse of trees might be just what I need.

Tanglin, by having a corpse - do you mean that you found the corpse already there, or that a non-corpse became a corpse during the stay? I think that might change my reaction a little bit.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Other than the silly germaphobic stuff, I actually do a couple of those things when I enter a room. Check the alarm clock and reset it if needed. Cursory check for bedbugs. Make sure the A/C works and crank it on max. Put out the DND card. Make sure the bathroom is stocked...TP, soap, shampoo, towels, etc...although I generally trust my regular brands to get this right.

Never looked for a corpse and never found one. However, it's entirely possible they've been there under the bed during many of my 100's of prior stays. Do corpses accumulate elite-qualifying nights?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:11 pm

Yes.

I have found...

- full beer bottles in the toilet reserve tank
- trash and food items behind cabinets
- inoperative toilet
- medication in drawers
- inoperative remote for TV (battery issue)
- room in total disarray (staff forgot to prepare that room)
- given smoking room when reservation was for non-smoking
- 2 different guests given access to same room
- empty minibar... not a problem but don't suggest I emptied it
- etc etc etc

All finds in a room remind me that staff in that establishment
are not very thorough when preparing rooms for next occupant
and that management do not conduct checks and take the
appropriate corrective action.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Tanglin, by having a corpse - do you mean that you found the corpse already there, or that a non-corpse became a corpse during the stay? I think that might change my reaction a little bit.
It's also disconcerting when you see upon initial investigation that the room does contain a corpse and discover only later that it can transform into a non-corpse.

F-ing zombies.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Paul56
full beer bottles in the toilet reserve tank
Bible
Under the mattress

...and now in the toilet reserve tank.

The list of places I need to scope out for a prior guest's stash just keeps growing!!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by tanglin
I've only had 2 corpses in 100's of stays, so not a bad ratio.
You perhaps need to stay at a somewhat better class of hotel.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by pinniped
Bible
Under the mattress

...and now in the toilet reserve tank.

The list of places I need to scope out for a prior guest's stash just keeps growing!!
I know! I am beginning to get excited about what I might find on my next hotel stay! Maybe we can turn this into a TV show - American Hotelers!

Paul56, out of curiosity...how exactly was it that you came to look for beer bottles in the toilet tank in the first place?

Last edited by Cloudship; Jun 4, 2014 at 9:18 pm Reason: Second Thoughts
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Most of the alarm clocks I have seen in hotel rooms do not automatically set themselves to go off - only when you set it manually, and then it is just once.
This was completely self-inflicted. They had the radio on when I walked in the room, which was really nice. It was Mozart symphony, I really enjoyed it.
Anyways, before leaving to go downstairs and get food, I tried to turn the alarm off. Ok, maybe it was when i came back upstairs after 3 or 4 beers and a vodka soda. I basically hit all the buttons until the radio went off. But one of the buttons was the alarm clock.
The real bad part was the fact that it literally took me 20 minutes to find my glasses to I had to cut my workout short. and I didn't get to enjoy my breakfast in the lounge as much since i was running late.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
This thread does remind me of my two worst experiences. Once was a roach motel in Tallahassee. We walked in looking for a place to stay for a football game. We got to the room and as I sat down on my bed my buddy decided to check his bed (he was on the golf team in school so I guess he had his share of less than clean places) and he saw a non-descript bug running under his pillow. Sure enough, my bed had bugs too. We checked out right away.
Another was 2 years ago. I had to go to NYC at the last minute for business, and I have a thing about expensive hotels on my expense report (or used to) so I stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania. I mean, it was right accross the street from Penn Station where I had to catch the train to Newburgh and such a recognizable name how bad could it be right?
While I enjoyed the experience of the building itself (huge lobby, architectural detail that no one cares to pay for anymore, etc). it was abundantly clear that the only thing they've been doing to this hotel since Don Draper stayed there in season 4 is vaccum it. I've never been so afraid of a hotel room in my life. It was a dark room, and while it was not obviously dirty, I can't tell you i felt confident touching anything there. I was glad to check out and not bring any visitors with me.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by fsuj25
the only thing they've been doing to this hotel since Don Draper stayed there in season 4 is vaccum it.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:26 am

I know! I am beginning to get excited about what I might find on my next hotel stay! Maybe we can turn this into a TV show - American Hotelers!

Paul56, out of curiosity...how exactly was it that you came to look for beer bottles in the toilet tank in the first place?
My curiosity. ...the toilet was working fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.