Reload this Page >

Need advice with possible anxiety on long haul flight

Need advice with possible anxiety on long haul flight

Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Exclamation Need advice with possible anxiety on long haul flight

Hi everyone!
I'm relatively new to FlyerTalk, but a veteran flyer. I'm only 17 years old and have currently 130,000 miles under my belt. I'm running into a small issue though. I am planning on flying to NRT tomorrow for a short trip to Tokyo. It looks like I'll be flying out of EWR and back through IAH. It seems I am experiencing a great amount of hesitation to actually go. I'm traveling standby in J so I really have no financial stake in my flight if I don't go, which I think is aiding my hesitation. As of today, the longest flight I've flown is FCO-IAD, but for some reason I'm very stressed out and hesitant just thinking about the amount of time onboard between EWR and NRT. I can tell you that part of my hesitation is the stories of turbulence over parts of Alaska and the Pacific. While I realize my fear of turbulence is irrational, it still contributes. I'm disappointed in myself that I've let this get in my way of traveling the world and I wanted to see if anybody would be willing to share any ideas or thoughts on the issue. I'd appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP
Need advice on long haul flight

I would think about all the great things you'll be doing in Japan. that would excite me
maybe plan your experience on the plane. bring lots of movies, music, books anything to keep your mind off of the flight. picture the result and hopefully you'll feel better. good luck!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Hi Mike, welcome to FlyerTalk! Tokyo is an amazing destination and completely worth the trip. It's the first place I went when I started traveling a lot, and I had more than a little bit of hesitation - both from the long time spent on the plane and from worries about language barriers once I arrived in Tokyo. Your post could have been mine, but it turns out I had nothing to fear!

I actually think that longhaul flights are easier for me than short to medium term flights. Especially in business class, the rhythm will be "board, eat a tasty meal, relax with a good book, and then you're almost there"! I find flying Seattle to Tokyo far more relaxing than flying Seattle to Atlanta, actually - more time to chill out! Think of it as an opportunity to catch up on all the movies or books you've been missing out on lately The other thing that helps is the types of planes that fly long distances tend to be bigger and more spacious, keeping it a pretty comfy ride (especially in J!)

I also find that for transpacific flights I actually experience less turbulence than small regional flights within the US, since the aircraft are bigger, they fly pretty high up and over fairly calm polar regions. The one exception is that I've noticed the air around Japan does get very lightly bumpy at times for the last hour or so of a flight to Tokyo, but it's completely normal - absolutely nothing to worry about at all.

My first trip to Tokyo started a love affair with Japan that's resulted in me going back at least once a year for the last five years. The country is amazingly friendly, safe, and easy to get around, and I totally recommend a visit - please go and have a fantastic time!

There are also some great resources out there for nervous flyers - do a quick search in this forum and you'll find a great compilation of web sites to check out. One of the pieces of advice in particular that stuck with me was watching the flight attendants - they fly these routes regularly, so if they are calm during turbulence (and I guarantee they will be), you can rest assured everything is fine and normal!

If you want to ask any more questions feel free to post them, I'm happy to keep answering (and I'm sure the rest of the FlyerTalk community will as well).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mike2K
I can tell you that part of my hesitation is the stories of turbulence over parts of Alaska and the Pacific. While I realize my fear of turbulence is irrational, it still contributes. I'm disappointed in myself that I've let this get in my way of traveling the world and I wanted to see if anybody would be willing to share any ideas or thoughts on the issue. I'd appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
Welcome to FT!
Similar question on mid-air turbulence from not too long ago
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ght=turbulence
And things to consider to make your journey more comfortable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ght=turbulence

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Apr 23, 2014 at 2:43 pm Reason: added second thread link
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I assume you have looked into and taken care of any issues regarding entering Japan as an unaccompanied minor, so I won't ask about that. The legal age of an adult in Japan is 20.

As for mid-flight turbulence, it doesn't happen every time but it does occur. I just pop a "Less Drowsy Dramamine" before take-off and forget about it. Another trick to keep the stomach settled is to substitute ginger ale for whatever soda you usually drink. It really does help.

If turbulence is encountered, it usually doesn't last long. The pilots work hard to go around weather so as to give the passengers as smooth a ride as they can. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Japan is my favorite place to visit. Have a great time.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

Bring a book and an I pad and some good headphones. I'm halfway back from Tokyo. flew out last week. No turbulence either way. If you are staying at a hotel figure out how you are getting to the hotel before you leave. it's a lot easier to make a plan before you are exhausted in a foreign country.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:16 pm

I'm sure it will be a great trip. I've done trips to Australia and New Zealand, but no more than 12 hours in one segment. I'm now booked into a 16 hour segment in the fall and very excited!
Meal, movie, some sleep, meal, movie, land....
I imagine it will go amazingly fast!
Bring some gravol just in case and make sure you get a few hours sleep at least. Often in J 6 hours sleep is easy as it's quiet and comfortable.

Enjoy the experience!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
As a fellow 17 year old, I can tell you that there is no reason to not take his flight. Since you're in J, you'll have a nice meal, and (depending on the airline) a flat seat which you should be able to get some sleep in. Bring an ipad and a book as well for entertainment.

Japan is also a great place to visit, it is one of my favorite places ever, and the first international destination I ever went to (when I was 2). However, make sure you research Tokyo before you leave and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Thanks for the advice, suggestions, and reassuring advice everyone. Flight is now departing tomorrow morning and I'm very excited! Glad to be joining the FlyerTalk community as well!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:42 am

Have a great trip...I'll be there in a month as a first-time visitor and am super excited. Enjoy your flight in F, I'll be stuck back in the cattle car.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: Enough
Pop a Benadryl, have some some wine (nobody cares about your age on a plane ), watch a funny movie, and sleep!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
I'm sure that adding alcohol and drugs to jet lag is the best advice for a first time traveler to japan regardless of age. I'm a relatively experienced traveler who doesn't drink, and IMHO jet lag after a flight to Asia is enough to deal with.

To op I recommend carefully researching and planning your first night. Perhaps stay by the airport and then head into Tokyo when you are rested. If you have a smartphone I would save PDFs of hotel info and maps so you can easily get there on arrival. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.