Search

I received a scam letter for 2 RT tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I received a scam letter for 2 RT tickets

I received a obvious scam letter tonight saying I should call Coreen Hayes who is a VP at US Airlines for 2 free RT tickets worth up to $1450 for travel in the US. The number was 844-810-2125. There is no such company by that name, the envelope and the letter didn't even have a return address

Needless to say I laughed when I saw it but I feel sorry for someone who gets suckered in by an obvious scam like this.

PS, I did a search and didn't find anything on this yet but if someone else has please alert the mods to merge this post.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I get at least one like that every month.

Back when faxing was the rage, I'd get 10-20 faxes like that every week.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
There are places to report stuff like this.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-844-810-2125
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
There are places to report stuff like this.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-844-810-2125
I just looked at that site and if you think we have some crazy people on FT, the ones here look normal compared to some of the posters there. In fake, someone there accused the OP who reported the fraud of being the part of the ring sending out the letters.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
About every other month I get a very similar letter. I write "REFUSED' on the envelope and drop it in the mailbox. I believe it gets sent back.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by u2fan
About every other month I get a very similar letter. I write "REFUSED' on the envelope and drop it in the mailbox. I believe it gets sent back.
There wasn't a return address on the envelope. I plan to notify the US Postal Service Inspectors that handle mail fraud matters like this. @:-)
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I no longer need the free tickets. A Nigerian Prince has left me $15 Million.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I am tapped out as I already gave my life savings to the last Nigerian prince that contacted me.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I am tapped out as I already gave my life savings to the last Nigerian prince that contacted me.
Me too, but I'll get it back 20-fold when I fly there next week. Tickets all bought, I can hardly wait. But, I've been dealing with a very nice-sounding older women with cancer who has a problem getting her dead uncle's money since she's not of the right religion (and apparently I am). Do princes pay better?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I really plan to take advantage of the next one that comes my way (after I manage to sell the 7 time shares I have advertised FOR SALE CHEAP!). I imagine that the letter writers are all formerly trained and skilled in the recitation of Time Share spiels, the racket P.T. Barnum would have leaped into had it been ready for exploitation.

As populations have grown, there's more than one born every minute. Just ask those Nigerian bankers!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by u2fan
Not unless it was sent First Class. It's very likely that such mail gets send Bulk Rate, which does not provide for automatic return service for undeliverable mail.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Isn't an "844" number a toll-free number? Wouldn't that require someone "approving" it (like, a telephone company)? Sounds like wire fraud and telecommunications fraud.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by relangford
Isn't an "844" number a toll-free number? Wouldn't that require someone "approving" it (like, a telephone company)? Sounds like wire fraud and telecommunications fraud.
I will give this to a US postal service agent to handle as this is with their jurisdiction. @:-)
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I will give this to a US postal service agent to handle as this is with their jurisdiction.
Yes, I mistakenly left off, "too" at the end. I agree it is mail fraud.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:35 pm

LOL...that's funny. I just got a letter in the mail today. I dialed the # and immediately hung up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.