Wiki Posts
Search

My only pet peeve -- leering over to look out "my" window

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by markraby
But the one thing that has always driven me crazy, as happened today, is when I'm at a window seat and other passengers feel the need to constantly lean into my personal space to look out the window.
I find it hard to believe that anyone could lean from one aisle seat all the way across the aisle and actually intrude into your personal space (i.e., the area above your seat). It seems almost physically impossible.

Just leaning into the aisle and looking out the window that happens to be on your side of the plane, seems completely unobjectionable.

Originally Posted by scottsam66
I can relate to OP. I had dude next to me in F a week ago ask me to open the shade (I had headphones on so not sue of why exactly), prior to take off he specifically asked if I could open it during take off. I obliged, then noticed him not even looking out the window.
If I'm not viewing some electronic device (or especially if I'm reading a book) then I like to have the window open for the extra light. Nothing to do with looking out. If you have the window seat, then imho it's completely up to you whether you choose to have the shade open or closed, but there's nothing at all wrong with asking, as most people don't care.

I'm also new to the idea that other people eating their own food on the plane is an intrusion against your rights.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 21, 2014 at 10:03 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:45 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this issue could arise on any airline, I'll move to TravelBuzz to share with others. /Moderator.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:44 am
Suspended

Get over it

The sad news is that the world is inhabited by many insensitive, self-absorbed people. Sometimes we encounter them. The only solution is not to travel or charter a jet.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
I find it hard to believe that anyone could lean from one aisle seat all the way across the aisle and actually intrude into your personal space (i.e., the area above your seat). It seems almost physically impossible.

Just leaning into the aisle and looking out the window that happens to be on your side of the plane, seems completely unobjectionable.
Roger Murdoch could accomplish that. Don't get him mixed up with anyone else, though...he doesn't like that.

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
The sad news is that the world is inhabited by many insensitive, self-absorbed people. Sometimes we encounter them. The only solution is not to travel or charter a jet.
I don't think FT is that bad,,,..
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ

I agree but this site is rife with hyper-sensitive, passive/aggressive types who go through life looking for opportunities to take immense offense at the most picayune and innocuous events.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I am with the OP on this one. That would drive me nuts not to mention she can look out her own window. Please stop staring at my space. I would have slammed that window cover shut in 2 seconds flat. End of problem.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:02 am
Suspended

Drives me nuts too.

On a flight from BKK to NRT a few years ago we were in the first row of a UA 747. The woman in the row behind me reached past by seat to close the window shade that was, in the upright position, about 75% in 'my' space (and 100% in my space with even the slightest recline). She then stretched forward and closed the next one that was fully in my space. I turned around and told her to keep her hands to herself and opened them all up.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
I am with the OP on this one. That would drive me nuts not to mention she can look out her own window. Please stop staring at my space. I would have slammed that window cover shut in 2 seconds flat. End of problem.
What would you do if she kept looking into your space even after you closed the window? Maybe you could call the FA and declare an emergency.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
She sounds annoying, but it doesn't sound like she was actually in your space, just in the aisle some.

Likely a very infrequent flyer who was excited by the view.

You could have just pulled down the shade.
What an absolute xxxxxxSorry but that's not very polite by anyone's version of English. Just let people look.
Note: offensive word deleted by moderator, Obscure2k

Last edited by obscure2k; Apr 20, 2014 at 10:59 am
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Drives me nuts too.

On a flight from BKK to NRT a few years ago we were in the first row of a UA 747. The woman in the row behind me reached past by seat to close the window shade that was, in the upright position, about 75% in 'my' space (and 100% in my space with even the slightest recline). She then stretched forward and closed the next one that was fully in my space. I turned around and told her to keep her hands to herself and opened them all up.
^^^ Absolutely. I choose a window seat if available so I can see out. I like seeing out. Why should someone else intrude in my bit of space. What's wrong with their eye shades?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
If it's uncomfortable for you then reciprocate the discomfort. Every time she leans across and looks you should engage with her in some way she wasn't expecting but that she would feel obligated to respond to politely.

E.g. She looks across and you hold up whatever is in your hand. If it's your iPad and you're playing sudoku say something like "It's always the sevens I can't get" while looking straight at her until she responds. She'll probably say something like "I was looking out of the window" to which you just respond "Oh!" in a very exaggerated way. Repeat until she doesn't look your way any more. Don't be rude. Just make her feel socially awkward. It's a fun game to see how long it takes her to stop.

If she shouts at you then call the FA.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:27 am
Suspended

Better than . . .

Better than those walking around airports with those things sticking out of an ear talking so loud about things in which we have no interest.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roberino
If it's uncomfortable for you then reciprocate the discomfort. Every time she leans across and looks you should engage with her in some way she wasn't expecting but that she would feel obligated to respond to politely.

E.g. She looks across and you hold up whatever is in your hand. If it's your iPad and you're playing sudoku say something like "It's always the sevens I can't get" while looking straight at her until she responds. She'll probably say something like "I was looking out of the window" to which you just respond "Oh!" in a very exaggerated way. Repeat until she doesn't look your way any more. Don't be rude. Just make her feel socially awkward. It's a fun game to see how long it takes her to stop.

Did I accidentally stumble into the thread on how to provoke people and create a fistfight on the plane?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
True dat. I probably would have been a little annoyed by this pax, too. Imagine how the person in front of her whose seat back she repeatedly pulled must have felt.
This is what bothers me. I too feel more for the person in front of her. People who pull my seat back and jerk my head back. No clue!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I'm always amused when something like this....

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I agree but this site is rife with hyper-sensitive, passive/aggressive types who go through life looking for opportunities to take immense offense at the most picayune and innocuous events.
Is followed by this....

At this point, I'm almost certain that some people here make it their mission in life to be as miserable and passive aggressive as possible, without being outwardly hostile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.