Search

Traveling to US with more than $10,000 in cash or equivalent

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Traveling to US with more than $10,000 in cash or equivalent

Hi all,

I am new here.

I have a wealthy foreign friend who is not US citizen who intended to travel into US with $600,000 in Cash or Traveler's Check. Obviously, he will declare to the fullest and he had a legitimate reason to do so.

Question is, other than declaration, will he need to explain any thing to the custom the source and the use of the fund? If so what line of questions the custom may ask?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by artloversplus
Hi all,

I am new here.

I have a wealthy foreign friend who is not US citizen who intended to travel into US with $600,000 in Cash or Traveler's Check. Obviously, he will declare to the fullest and he had a legitimate reason to do so.

Question is, other than declaration, will he need to explain any thing to the custom the source and the use of the fund? If so what line of questions the custom may ask?
Your friend should ask his local US Consulate.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:21 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
artloversplus, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Your friend should also check the laws of the country he is leaving to learn if he'll need to also declare that sum of cash to the exiting country's officials.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:55 pm

Why not perform an electronic transfer? Money in one country, hit a key, it's suddenly in another country. No need to carry a large amount of money.

CK
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:29 pm

here in usa would be happy get cash

glad your friend want to bring money here.....could also be a 6k gold chain.....claim all im sure he can do it your friend
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Hi all,

I am new here.

Welcome to FT!
With respect to your "wealthy foreign friend", if he has that much cash or liquid assets to bring into the US, why is relying on you to make an inquiry on an anonymous Internet forum? Why would he not make an inquiry via his bank or wealth management advisor?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP's friend is wealthy enough to schlep around with US$600K in his pocket, he can afford an attorney to answer his question. This one reeks.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
He's going to get flagged. People who move that amount of cash between countries. is because they don't want it to go through the banking system for shady reasons.

I'm not saying your friend has procured the money in a questionable way, but it's usually people who have got the money in non very legal ways the ones that carry half a million dollars in cash and that will raise a red flag.

As suggested, if your friend has that kind of cash, I'm sure his/her wealth/financial manager can provide better info than an Internet forum.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:18 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
He will need to fill out and file a FinCEN105 form in addition to the regular declaration form. To save time I suggest having the FINcen105 complete ahead of time.

Travellers Checks are negotiable instruments and must be declared and on the 105 also:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...3D/suggested/1

Wiring the money would still be reportable due to the Bank Secrecy Act and a FinCEN8300 could also be needed depending on source.

There are times where people need to travel with large sums of cash for legit business both into and out of the USA, though I'll admit out of the USA is more common than in. I have cared well over 10k$US in cash out of hte USA before. Filing the form is not that difficult.

form 105 is at the bottom of this page:
http://www.fincen.gov/forms/bsa_forms/
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Hi all,

I am new here.

An issue better left to experts and not on a forum

Last edited by mike2200; Apr 19, 2014 at 9:44 am
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:33 am

I just watched The Wolf of Wall Street last night, that movie has some good tips on how to smuggle money into a country. Have him watch that for some ideas.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by t325
I just watched The Wolf of Wall Street last night, that movie has some good tips on how to smuggle money into a country. Have him watch that for some ideas.
The OP did not ask about smuggling money; he asked about how to be legit and declare it. Why is it so hard for some on this site to just answer a question and move on?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
The OP did not ask about smuggling money; he asked about how to be legit and declare it. Why is it so hard for some on this site to just answer a question and move on?
While I agree that there is no need to talk about smuggling, I do think it is appropriate to suggest relevant legal/financial advice from a qualified professional. This is a very large some of money and it is unwise to rely solely on the advice of an internet forum.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
While I agree that there is no need to talk about smuggling, I do think it is appropriate to suggest relevant legal/financial advice from a qualified professional. This is a very large some of money and it is unwise to rely solely on the advice of an internet forum.
I don't disagree. I have moved sums in cash with many zeroes before myself, for various reasons (both my own and Uncle Sam's and NATO's). However, As can be seen from my many posts in TS/S I do not like the myth that large sums of cash some how always equals crime. I see overtones of that in this thread but maybe I am just sensitive today...

Even the feckless TSA often has the false idea you must report 10k domestically in the USA-which one must not do. There is no rule on carrying any cash in the USA.

Cash does not always equal crime.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
...Cash does not always equal crime.
This is quite correct.

If you choose to bundle up your savings in a pillow case and bring it with you on the plane, congratulations, this is America and you shouldn't be hassled by bureaucratic, educationally subnormal morons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.