Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Huff Post Article, Airline Customer is NOT always right...

Huff Post Article, Airline Customer is NOT always right...

Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Well, you really haven't been following the huge labor issues facing Southwest and all the "sick" time issues in the news......
I have... they have their issues, yes. But when they landed a plane at the wrong airport, it was in the news for a day and glossed over. It seems that the media prefers to go after the "big guys".

But their epic meltdown at MDW during the storm was crazy.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
We are a LONG way away from Gordon's mentality now. Jeff hates customers and employees, but as the customer brings money, he hates the employees slightly more. Current United doesn't stand behind any employee, any customer or any of their policies.

Everything that happens is not their fault.

1. No music on AVOD due to unpaid Bill for recording rights - Not their fault of course, and months go by with no music. Sticking to their guns, not bending, and as such, no music for the customer.

2. Delays for mechanicals, late crews, catering, etc are all ... not their fault. They'll just list them as weather and avoid paying out compensation.

3. Getting the 737-900's delivered dark with no entertainment and crap seats because they are in a lawsuit with the seat maker. Years have passed, yet (again) United sticking to their guns, offering a sub-par product (often on 6h transcons) because they'll not back down to anyone... because (again), it's not their fault.

4. Not their fault that they don't get around to paying refunds on-time. The DOT fined them a fortune for it not being their fault...
What a classic example of how a thread here at UA board usually goes off-topic, sometimes at post #2.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blug
What a classic example of how a thread here at UA board usually goes off-topic, sometimes at post #2.
To be fair, this one was probably off-topic at post #1. It has nothing to do with United.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blug
If it makes you feel any better, it is the same on the DL board.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
To be fair, this one was probably off-topic at post #1. It has nothing to do with United.
It does, with everyone complaining about the lack of service, or I could stretch it and say it involves a previous CEO.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: Continental
They won't even turn on CH 9!

Originally Posted by Jorgen
There's an obvious solution to this. Get the pilots to sing (public domain) songs on Channel 9.
They won't even turn on CH 9!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:02 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As the referenced article does not mention current United operations or management, let's share this with the broader FlyerTalk community via the TravelBuzz forum. I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United and TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by lalalandMCI

sCO (pre-SMI/J) treated the employees well, empowered them, and stood behind them. That also showed, with significantly better customer service than UA/DL/AA/US etc.
Interesting example of perspective. I would have said exactly the same thing on customer service but just reversed the airlines. The CO flight attendants seem to have no interest in providing a good flight experience; rather it's "get it over as quick as we can so we can chat in the galley." Sorry for the offense this will cause for some but that's been my experience.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
No need another self indulgent, absolutive, airline made article about how those poor employees are persecuted.
Sickly sweet words good for a motivational speech/Tony Robbins internal coaching.
If customers could prove how many time is airline's fault (read point 2. CO_Nonrev_elite above), they could burn the books in no time.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by hans
Interesting example of perspective. I would have said exactly the same thing on customer service but just reversed the airlines. The CO flight attendants seem to have no interest in providing a good flight experience; rather it's "get it over as quick as we can so we can chat in the galley." Sorry for the offense this will cause for some but that's been my experience.
That's the thing about employee empowerment-- it can go either way. Empowered employees with appropriate supervision, business metrics, and feedback systems in place will feel like stakeholders in the success of the company. They'll treat customers well because they see how it benefits them. As well as see how treating customers poorly hurts them.

Without appropriate policies and mechanisms in place, though, the dark side of employee empowerment appears. Employees with blind trust from Management become complacent or cocky as they realize "nothing bad is going to happen to me." That's when you see employees apply customer policies haphazardly or deliver service only at minimum required levels-- such as doing one quick drink service and then gabbing in the galley for the remainder of the flight.

This problem of empowerment going the wrong way was evident with with UA in the late 90s when the airline was majority owned by employees. On numerous occasions I witnessed employees treat customers badly. Even when the situation was escalated to a supervisor, the supervisor generally took an insulting and hostile stance against the customer. There was a clear attitude of, "You have to accept the way I'm treating you because no one above me will listen to your appeal."
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I'm not sure I believe anything in the Huffington Post. Yet, UA is leading the charge and AA and DL are following in having frustrated employees and unhappy passengers. When money become the end-all, everybody suffers. I really like companies which are employee-owned; wish we had more of them.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by relangford
I'm not sure I believe anything in the Huffington Post.
The author actually wrote the article and posted it on his own blog in 2006. See http://positivesharing.com/2006/07/w...tomer-service/.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
When money become the end-all, everybody suffers. I really like companies which are employee-owned; wish we had more of them.
But money is the end-all for a business. If you don't make it, you don't survive. And for its employees - you don't pay them, they'll go elsewhere. Customers are often wrong, but a service business who forgets that the customers pay their wages is doomed to failure.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mandolino
But money is the end-all for a business. If you don't make it, you don't survive. And for its employees - you don't pay them, they'll go elsewhere. Customers are often wrong, but a service business who forgets that the customers pay their wages is doomed to failure.
But you also have to realize that *some* customers are bad for business.

Why try to appease the 3% or whatever it is of customers who are unruly, and unreasonable when you can cut them loose and focus on your more important clients?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:51 am

I do wish more companies would see this. Most of the time, yes, serve the customer and retain the business but at least have some judgment involved when they really are wrong. Back when I was a teenager with no mortgage, a very wrong customer and bad management caused to walk out of a job the one and only time I've done such a thing. As an adult now, I would love to tell that manager how wrong she was in backing up that customer. As a kid, I didn't know how to eloquently say it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.