Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is there really any difference in the ECONOMY CLASS flyer experience between airlines

Is there really any difference in the ECONOMY CLASS flyer experience between airlines

Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by meducate
Originally Posted by librarygal
On an upcoming trip to Europe in 2015 we had the choice of a number of airlines to fly to London. Our friends and relatives all had their suggestions which one we should go on. Many of them really liked one airline over another.

I told them we would be flying coach and have no status or airline miles on any of them so a upgrade was out of the picture. Each of the choices were about the same price and had 31 inch pitch and 17.5 inch width. All offered food and video monitors and wide body planes.

So do you think our experience will be any different on one airline or another in economy class non stop from NYC to London?
You may find that the FAs and attitudes vary by carrier. Many people prefer the folks on VS over US-based and other UK-based carriers. There are many places to check for travel experiences in economy on all of the carriers, including YouTube...take your time and do the research. It'll be worth it
I would take any of the alternatives over VS - had a terrible (lazy, slovenly Crew Who discussed their boyfriend troubles while serving drinks, dirty uniorms with rips, Inedible food) flight LHR- MIA. just don It see Why people rate them.

I would pick based on route (convenience & timing)and price....
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
On a long international flight an extra inch of leg room is pure heaven!!!!!

Check out seatguru as other's have suggested.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
If it were me, I would choose based on;

Price
Departure and arrival times that best suited me
Whether the plane was 2-X-2 or 3-3-3
Terminal of departure

I mention terminal of departure as on a short flight such as NYC-LON, I would probably eat on the ground before departure and choice of eaterie is important to me. T4 at LHR for example, is bad. I would then skip the food on the plane.

The rest of the experience is going to be fairly similar whatever airline you choose in terms of seat, food, service & IFE.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
You indeed covered the most important aspects.

When comparing Y products the most important aspects IMO are:

1) seat width
2) seat pitch
3) seat configuration (e.g. I find a 2-x-2 config much more bearable than a 3-x-3 config and will even include a connecting to avoid the latter)
4) AVOD
5) free alcoholic beverages
6) ability to pay for a preferred seat (if relevant)
7) quality of food and drinks
8) service

7 and 8 obviously are rather subjective. None of the airlines that fly NYC-LHR offers great food or service in Y IMO.
On #3 - 2-5-2 can be annoying if you're stuck in the middle section.

I would also add the noise factor somewhere in there, which for a long flight does contribute to the comfort. Airbus planes are considerably quieter than Boeings.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
but we aren't talking about domestic.
Oops I should have read the question more carefully. My apologies.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
For international, I agree with some of the other issues mentioned:

1. Attitude of flight staff
2. Availability of free alcohol
3. Food quality
4. in-flight entertainment
5. Other small perks that may or may not matter to you, such as electrical outlets at the seat

and then one I don't think I saw mentioned (but may have missed it):

6. Luggage fees.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Luggage (both checked and carry on allowances) matter to me.

The other thing that I am very conscious of is that on that route, there is at least one airline that you cannot pre-select your seats (free) when you book, so that is another consideration (I don't want to be stuck with a rubbish seat at T-24 hours).
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
On a long international flight an extra inch of leg room is pure heaven!!!!!

Check out seatguru as other's have suggested.
As a leggy tall chick married to a tall dude, I'd look into how much it costs to buy an Economy Plus or Economy Comfort sort of seat to get that little bit of extra leg room and factor that into ticket prices. For some airlines, buying the extra leg room turns out to be more reasonable than with others.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by beachmouse
As a leggy tall chick married to a tall dude, I'd look into how much it costs to buy an Economy Plus or Economy Comfort sort of seat to get that little bit of extra leg room and factor that into ticket prices. For some airlines, buying the extra leg room turns out to be more reasonable than with others.
Or a proper premium economy product on BA/VS. Even more space than the pesudo-premium economy on offer from the US carriers.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I mention terminal of departure as on a short flight such as NYC-LON, I would probably eat on the ground before departure and choice of eaterie is important to me. T4 at LHR for example, is bad. I would then skip the food on the plane.
On such flights eat before getting to the terminal. Even a pasty at Liverpool St Station is better than the drivel you get at airline terminals. Same in New York (well obviously not pasty from Liverpool Street station). There's a pretty good Jamaican take away in Penn Station.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I fly on AA (now), getting upgraded to business class on most of my jfk-Europe flts.
Several years ago I flew Air France (always in economy) from jfk-Paris.
AF's meals in economy were better than AA's in bc (I've wondered what AF bc is like.)
One interesting contrast: On an AF flight the FA offered as a suggestion (at the end of dinner) "would you like some Cognac"...on all the bc flts. on AA, a FA NEVER suggested Cognac at the end.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:20 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
On such flights eat before getting to the terminal. Even a pasty at Liverpool St Station is better than the drivel you get at airline terminals. Same in New York (well obviously not pasty from Liverpool Street station). There's a pretty good Jamaican take away in Penn Station.
I call shenanigans...nothing's good at Penn Station!

Though, you're on to something. Right by the Jamaica subway/AirTrain station in Queens, well within a few blocks anyway, you can find Salvadoran food. Next time I'm going to JFK, pupusas will come with me.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
In coach, I'd much prefer taking the AM flight to JFK-LHR. A redeye in coach is something I avoid like the plague.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
TATL economy does not vary a whole lot, except for Virgin Atlantic. Check seat size and pitch, and avoid the A380 (just too many people in econ). Food varies widely, though. I prefer AF economy on food. I have not had bad service on AF. (I've had unpleasant economy experiences due to other flyers, though, such as drunk/odiferous seatmates, and people not wanting me to recline on overnight flights. One of the main reasons I work desperately to get upgrades.)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I wish IAD had some morning flights to Europe like NY.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.