Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Tool to map out the best areas of a city

Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

As a frequent flier and mileage runner, I’ve often found myself landing in a city I’ve never been to without having a great idea about how the city is laid out, and where I should stay. My friend also has this problem when he travels, so we decided to build a little tool together to help people find the best areas of a city based on their interests using Foursquare data.

We spent about 2 weeks on this, so it’s pretty rough around the edges, but let us know if you find it useful or have any feedback. We’ve held off on integrating a full hotel search functionality until we get some signal that this is valuable.

https://cityheat.herokuapp.com
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Cool concept, but my browser (IE) won't let me select any of the options from the list...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Cool concept, but my browser (IE) won't let me select any of the options from the list...
Oh boy, you're totally right. Thanks for the report -- I'll try to take a look at this over the next few days and post here when it's fixed.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I'll try it at home perhaps on Chrome or some other browser... my corporate overlords insist that we only use IE.

As someone who likes to walk around and explore cities, this is a tool that I'd find pretty useful.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:28 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Its a great idea, but as it currently stands a little hard to use, I think because there are so many drop down choices (love the volcanoes option), and (I assume) they weight evenly. So I can't be really interested in museums, with a preference for areas with good wine bars, for instance.

I have no idea about the technical feasibility, but what I'd love to see are a selection of categories with slider bars to set weighting (changes in real time would be super awesome). I'd really like the categories to be broad (nightlife/restaurants/shopping/sightseeing/outdoor etc) which then drill down to offer the more specific choices from a curated version of your long list.

So in my example I weight sightseeing to maximum and nightlife to 50%, and see which areas light up. Then I drill in to sightseeing and bump up museums, and then go into nightlife and bump up wine bars (and maybe bump down nightclubs).

And of course what I really want to do is save a profile which remembers all my choices.

Cool idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.