Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do costlier hotels have fewer features?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do costlier hotels have fewer features?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:14 pm

This isn't a luxury vs. budget thing.

Take a Hilton vs a Hilton Garden Inn....the HGI provides free Wifi, free parking, a decent breakfast for $10 (if you're not elite). It also has a business center where you can print out stuff and there's room service available.

The Hilton down the street charges $15 for WiFi, $20 for parking, $17 for the same breakfast.

The room is no better at the Hilton vs. the HGI. In fact, it's often a much better room at the HGI. And the price for the room is not too different.

About the only added benefit of the Hilton is the exec lounge and probably a nicer lobby.

So why does Hilton charge for the stuff HGI gives away for free? That's not the relevant question. To me the relevant question is why would anyone stay at the Hilton and pay for the things they can get for free at the HGI? If the answer is bidness travelers, well then accounting departments around the country should start asking these questions as well because their employees are wasting a lot of money.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Hoteliergal
Just because every room doesn't have a coffee maker, doesn't mean that you can't request one. Plenty of people do. I would just advise guests doing that to bring their own coffee. Reason being, in full service hotels, we usually press the coffee and I have had guests tell me that it is too strong, or they don't prefer it.
I'm really surprised by your recommendation that guests at high-end hotels bring their own coffee. I know from previous threads that you are a thoughtful person who has worked in such hotels so I respect your perspective on the matter. But my expectation as a guest at a high end hotel would be that the hotel is prepared to respond to my every reasonable need. Coffee in light, medium, or strong and a small variety of flavors seems like a reasonable need nowadays. Putting aside people with extremely picky tastes, it's incongruous to imagine that if I were packing a bag to stay at a four star hotel I would tuck a container of grounds into my suitcase, the same as a miser packing to stay in a Motel 6.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Brand differentiation through marketing. People who stay at Hiltons think that Hilton is "fancier" and more upscale than HGI so they are willing to pay more to stay there.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD
I would not say costlier hotels have fewer features, I would say that they have different features. You want free wifi and breakfast in the lobby then the HGI might be your best bet.

If you want better food, a concierge that can move mountains for you and an elegant atmosphere to entertain clients? Then the Four Seasons or Peninsula might be a better bet for you.

Also, many high end properties offer free breakfast if you book through FSPP, FHR, Virtuoso etc
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm really surprised by your recommendation that guests at high-end hotels bring their own coffee. I know from previous threads that you are a thoughtful person who has worked in such hotels so I respect your perspective on the matter. But my expectation as a guest at a high end hotel would be that the hotel is prepared to respond to my every reasonable need. Coffee in light, medium, or strong and a small variety of flavors seems like a reasonable need nowadays. Putting aside people with extremely picky tastes, it's incongruous to imagine that if I were packing a bag to stay at a four star hotel I would tuck a container of grounds into my suitcase, the same as a miser packing to stay in a Motel 6.
The coffee maker option is for your convenience, not that of the hotel. So, the coffee they use will be exactly the same that is available through room service, or the restaurant. I would love to say that we have different levels of coffee, or more than one option outside of decaf and regular, but we don't and honestly haven't had the need. It is every once in a blue moon that anyone even requests to make their own coffee and 99% of those guests do bring their own, either from home or they arrange to have the Concierge purchase some. I am simply stating what guests have said about coffee that is meant to be French Pressed being used for a drip Coffee Maker. None of those guests mind, and in fact most seem to prefer to purchase their own. They typically know how to fix it, the proper strength, and quantity, whereas with the hotel coffee, it has a steep learning curve. So steep, none of the regulars who ask for the amenity regularly will get close to the hotel coffee!

I don't see how travelling with your own coffee is any different from bringing your own Shampoo. If you know what you like, why take a chance?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
In many cases, the fancy hotel did not wire itself; it contracted with an outside company to do that, and the contract provides that the hotel and outside company will share in the revenue. Until those contracts expire, the hotel cannot provide free Internet access to all customers.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Though the line between budget business (Courtyard, HIX, Hampton) and full service (Holiday Inn, Marriott, Hilton) can be quite blurry sometimes from both a price and user feedback standpoint. Pretty easy in many metro areas to find a newer budget business property that's better reviewed, and more expensive than a older full service property that might be a little worn on the edges.
I find 'full service' hotels to be a joke unless they're really expensive; the qualification for full service/star ratings depends on specific amenities, which may or not provide value to the typical business traveler.

Hotel restaurants at your mid-range 'full service' hotel tend to be lousy, while the business budget hotels provide wifi, an edible breakfast, etc, complimentary.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I don't follow hotel programs very closely, so not aware of any chains that give free wifi. I know some do for their elites, but are there any that gives for general members?
It varies with the "rank" of the hotel within the chain. Member or not, for example, you get free WiFi in the Marriott Fairfield Inn, Towne Place Suites, and Springhill Suites. You pay for it in Marriott hotels and resorts. It may be free in Courtyard, but it's been a while since I've stayed in one, I'm more of a Springhill or Towne Place guy when it comes to that chain. Same goes with Choice Hotels - Free WiFi at EconoLodge and Comfort Inn, but not Cambria Suites or Ascend Hotels.

Hilton has similar rankings. WiFi is always free at Hampton Inns, and Hilton Gardens, always paid in Hiltons, sometimes free at Embassy Suites.

In regard to the early adopters with wired Ethernet in all the rooms, I've found that if it's there, it usually works though WiFi is almost always provided, though can be spotty depending on where the room is in relation to the antenna, though I've found that the WiFi signal has become more consistent with hotels that I've stayed in for several years.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
IHG is phasing in free wifi in most properties for all general members- was supposed to happen last year, but there seems to be a bit of pushback from European property owners.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:07 am

It is mostly because it is customary for luxury hotels to get away with it, as they compete less on price and more on quality.

The past few years has seen a lot of pressure on luxury chains to start including free wifi, etc. and I expect this trend will continue. Customer pressure is increasing.

Wifi nowadays is as necessary an amenity as running water.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by erik123
Wifi nowadays is as necessary an amenity as running water.
Exactly. That is one of the first things I look for in a hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Hoteliergal
Just because every room doesn't have a coffee maker, doesn't mean that you can't request one. Plenty of people do. I would just advise guests doing that to bring their own coffee. Reason being, in full service hotels, we usually press the coffee and I have had guests tell me that it is too strong, or they don't prefer it.
I lookd for "coffee maker" when I book a room, however (and this has been discussed before in another forum here) in-room coffee makers and the coffee that's provided with them are getting poorer and poorer. The ones that Choice Hotels have now are only good if you like weak coffee. Maybe your guests prefer that.

I always bring my own coffee and filters so all I need is a real coffee maker rather than one of thise things that has the coffee, filter, and filter basket all in one disposable part. But even though I know that the hotel used to have "component" coffee makers and I ask for one, the answer is almost always "Sorry, we got rid of all the old ones." It would have been easy enough to save a couple for cranks like me, but to answer "sorry" is easier.

I've learned to make a decent cup in the Hilton "dual" coffee makers by making two half-cups, putting in one cup of water to two pods of coffee, and if I'm lucky the brand of coffee pods that they supply is OK.

Coffee rant over. Back to your WiFi rants.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:16 am

I was floored last week when I got my bill for the Red Roof Inn in Las Vegas and it had a $5/day "Resort fee" added to it. When I questioned it - both what kind of "resort" they think this is, and why I wasn't aware of it when I made my reservation or when I checked in, the answers amounted to:

1. All the hotels in Las Vegas charge a resort fee.

2. You acknowledged it when you initialed the last paragraph on the form when you signed in. (I guess I'll have to read the fine print carefully from now on)

I screamed bloody murder and they removed the fee on the basis that I wasn't properly informed of it.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
I lookd for "coffee maker" when I book a room, however (and this has been discussed before in another forum here) in-room coffee makers and the coffee that's provided with them are getting poorer and poorer. The ones that Choice Hotels have now are only good if you like weak coffee. Maybe your guests prefer that.

I always bring my own coffee and filters so all I need is a real coffee maker rather than one of thise things that has the coffee, filter, and filter basket all in one disposable part. But even though I know that the hotel used to have "component" coffee makers and I ask for one, the answer is almost always "Sorry, we got rid of all the old ones." It would have been easy enough to save a couple for cranks like me, but to answer "sorry" is easier.

I've learned to make a decent cup in the Hilton "dual" coffee makers by making two half-cups, putting in one cup of water to two pods of coffee, and if I'm lucky the brand of coffee pods that they supply is OK.

Coffee rant over. Back to your WiFi rants.
I am not familiar with the choice chain, so I am not sure what they typically offer. But, I have noticed that a lot of hotels are going to the Keurig or similar options instead of your typical coffee makers. I guess the coffee may be more consistent that way, but it sure creates a lot more garbage. I guarantee most luxury hotels are going to have coffee makers available upon request.

Wifi is always a hot button. The wifi in my hotel could be hit or miss depending on the room, and it was so frustrating as most people use it these days. Even I depend on it for the iPad's we use. We eventually got the system upgraded after complaining so much, and things are 100% better. I absolutely hate when I travel and the wifi is horrible, so even hotel employees feel your pain.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Marketplace

NPR's Marketplace had a nice segment on this recently. It touches on many points that have already been raised in the thread.

Why do luxury hotels charge for Wi-Fi, but cheap hotels don't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.