Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2014 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2014 Hotel Pet Peeves Poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

The results of the poll have been published and are here: Hotel Pet Peeves: Guests Shut the Door on Wi-Fi, Outlet Shortages

After reading the results, take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves that weren't touched upon.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2014 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by cyesq
And to nfh - we Americans have been using fixed shower heads for well over a hundred years now and have managed to have clean underarms! Frankly I don't think the hand held fixtures are any great bonus!
Actually, I'm American and I agree with nfh on this. I have lived in apartments with fixed showerheads and had to clean the shower by filling a cup with water and using that to rinse the walls. When we remodelled our master bath, we made sure to install hand-showers in both the shower and (separate) tub. I think it's one of those amenities that sounds like silly luxury if you've never used one, but once you have you can't go back to the old way.

Plus it makes a fantastic dog wash!

I'd love to see a year to year comparison summary of all of these hotel peeve surveys to see if things are improving over time.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat LT, AK 75K, and the rest
Loudmouths in the room next door.
Loudmouths in the hallways- especially between the hours of 10:00 PM- 7:00 AM
Other people's hair on floor, shower, wall, toilet
Bedspreads
In room air conditioners (This is the #1 Pet Peeve)
"Free" Breakfast that includes powdered eggs and cheese made from vegetable oil
dirty carpets
curtains that have been hanging around for too long
Showers that contain shampoo, soap and conditioner dispensers
Blowhards at the check-in counters that tout "I am Platinum/Gold/Diamond/Excalibur/Magnesium and I deserve blah, blah, blah and I should be treated better because I travel and I am so wonderful and better than you and all these others because I am blah, blah, blah"

All you whiners whining about outlets- really?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Windows that don't open.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Andyman61
Loudmouths in the room next door.
Loudmouths in the hallways- especially between the hours of 10:00 PM- 7:00 AM
These are mine as well, and I'd also add people who SLAM doors at all hours. Is it so hard to understand that you're in a hotel, with other people trying to sleep or work or whatever very close nearby?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:28 am

I have one I just thought of, but not sure how to describe the problem well. When I travel alone I prefer to do room service than get a single table in a restaurant. I hate room service trays that weigh 15 pounds and are so wide it's hard to hold in one hand while I open my door to put it out in the hall. The problem is compounded by rooms where there's no place to set it near the door so I have to hold it while I open the door. Compounded again by doors that are so tightly sprung that it almost shoves me out as I put the tray down in the hallway.

I'm always tempted to just leave the tray in the room but I don't know if that would be disrespectful to housekeeping the next morning.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL Dia, ...
Tied between flakey WiFi that keeps dropping connection - and - lack of power outlets near the bedside.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:50 am

Angry Housekeepers......

.... who deliberately ignore the Do Not Disturb sign and knock on your door yelling "housekeeping"! They only want to quickly get their job done and do not care about your needs. This happens so often I will quickly go answer the door and take their name and call the front desk to report the incident to a manager. I have taken to requesting a refund due to my belief the hotel mgmt condones the practice. And, I have been getting compensation for my efforts.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
sheets and bedmaking

Am I the only one who ever notices this? My pet peeve is sheets and bedmaking. When hotels, including high end full service properties, are too cheap to use fitted sheets. They use a flat sheet on the bottom, which never stays tucked in. Or, housekeeping makes the bed so that the bottom flat sheet is not centered, and one side does not even begin to be long enough to tuck in. And when using said flat sheets instead of fitted, both sides (sheets and comforter) are totally tucked in, so that when you pull the top sheet and comfortor back, the bottom flat sheet comes untucked as well. And now I have to partially make the bed before I can get in it!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by cyesq
This will probably sound trivial to all the guys, but what's really annoying to any woman who uses makeup is fluorscent or back lighting in the bathroom.
Along those lines, something that I encounter frequently when traveling internationally is not having an outlet to plug a hair dryer into anywhere that's remotely near a mirror.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
No top sheets!

Charging for wifi; only one bathrobe in the room when there are 2 guests; not enough towels; and no top sheet on the bed when there is a duvet. And I do like slippers.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:31 am

Parents who let kids run down the hall and talk loudly

Slamming of room doors

People who walk with heavy feet in the room above me
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:52 am

Hotel peeves

1. Lack of comfortable work station with sufficient power outlets (I bring my own wifi so that's not usually an issue for me)

2. A dozen or so pillows on the bed that I have to shove aside to sleep

3. Plumbing glitches (shortage of hot water, dysfunctional shower diverter, poor shower head, etc.), surprisingly common even at high end hotels
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:15 am

Hotels that serve Pepsi products exclusively. No Coke.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:24 am

I absolutely hate it when the air conditioning shuts off during the night. I wake up hot and sweaty and have to get my spouse up so he can figure out how to get it turned back on. Then it shuts off in another hour or so and I have to do that again.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Great peeves so far.

Please don't forget to take the poll:

Poll: What are Your Biggest Hotel Pet Peeves?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.