Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Preserving one's right to exit the plane in one's turn

Preserving one's right to exit the plane in one's turn

Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
same issue on boarding

a parent is not going to let little Jimmy board in his window seat first while the parent waits at the gate for the middle seats to board or board first and let little Jimmy wait out in the gate area till his section boards.. just isn't going to happen
In my opinion the only method for airlines to keep families together and board/deboard efficiently is reserved the back of the plane for families until it is sold-out. As solo and couples will want front of the plane.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
In my opinion the only method for airlines to keep families together and board/deboard efficiently is reserved the back of the plane for families until it is sold-out. As solo and couples will want front of the plane.
Isn't going to happen; elites with kids have the same first call on the good seats at the front of coach as elites without kids.

(We've several times now taken 11CEG on the AA763 with my daughter, and indeed, middle-section on a 767 is by far the best place for a family of 3, and a non-exit bulkhead is really nice.)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Member

sit tight!

If you know you will be slow in de-planning, Just sit tight and wait for the rest of the passengers to deplane. People with canes, crutches, strollers, toddlers, bags too heavy for them or that must walk slowly, just exit last, for pete's sake. I once had a women in front of me holding up the whole plane because she was straightening the collar on her teenage daughters jacket and fixing her hair too, adjusting their carry ons etc, all oblivious of holding up the entire plane!! Other times we finally get to the jet way, to only have to jockey around an elderly passenger waiting for a wheel chair or taking up the entire walkway with their walker or cane. Why do you want that pressure of knowing there are LOTS of people waiting behind you!!!!???

And if the plane has been delayed, the FA should be asking if anyone needs to make a quick connection. No one would mind letting a few people off first!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Hey, I'm a really fast walker. So doesn't logic mean that all the slowpoke "normal" walkers should sit tight and let me go first?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by cmwdjw
Why do you want that pressure of knowing there are LOTS of people waiting behind you!!!!???
It doesn't pressure me in the slightest. They'll just have to wait. I won't needlessly delay them but I won't rush either. Shoving me and pushing by me is really not recommended.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Selfish parents with little kids and tons of overhead luggage block other passengers from getting off the plane and block the jetway waiting for their carriage. Are they so inconsiderate to realize a business traveler has someplace to go whereas little Suzy walks slow, talking, half asleep and I wish to hit her with my roller bag because I can't get around her but it would be considered rude on my part. WAIT UNTIL REST OF PSGS DEPLANE
1. You need some help if a slow child makes you that angry.
2. Everyone has some place to go, otherwise they wouldn't be on the plane. You're not that special Mr. Business Man.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:36 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If you know you will be slow in de-planning, Just sit tight and wait for the rest of the passengers to deplane. People with canes, crutches, strollers, toddlers, bags too heavy for them or that must walk slowly, just exit last, for pete's sake. I once had a women in front of me holding up the whole plane because she was straightening the collar on her teenage daughters jacket and fixing her hair too, adjusting their carry ons etc, all oblivious of holding up the entire plane!! Other times we finally get to the jet way, to only have to jockey around an elderly passenger waiting for a wheel chair or taking up the entire walkway with their walker or cane. Why do you want that pressure of knowing there are LOTS of people waiting behind you!!!!???
So who is to decide how fast you have to move in order to get off the plane at the beginning? When traveling alone, I walk faster than 95% of the people on the plane. Should they all wait for me?

If someone is a bit slower than you, that does not mean they have to delay themselves even further in order to accommodate you. They have the same right to get off the plane in turn that anyone else has. Some people who are ahead of you will be faster than you, and some will be slower. Deal with it. Your total door to door travel time is likely several hours. Another 5 minutes is not going to matter.

And if the plane has been delayed, the FA should be asking if anyone needs to make a quick connection. No one would mind letting a few people off first!
I have seen FAs try that. It has no effect. Once the FA even listed the airports, and said that people going there could get off first. As soon as the seatbelt sign went off (or even before), everyone was up and in the aisles.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:52 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
1. You need some help if a slow child makes you that angry.
2. Everyone has some place to go, otherwise they wouldn't be on the plane. You're not that special Mr. Business Man.
+1 Agree on both points.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
I'm the OP on this and just want to add a couple of points. As I mentioned in my original post, I frequently just keep my seat and let the crowd clear (more on this later) rather than rush off the plane. But I do believe the "right" to deplane first belongs to those in the front rows who wish to get up and deplane.

Many people say those standing in the aisles should exit first, followed by those sitting. This isn't practical. There is already a mad rush for everyone to stand up with their heads hunched over as soon as the plane lands. We don't need more of this.

Waiting for someone to get up from a window seat and retrieve their luggage does not usually delay the deboarding process. Yes, a temporary gap appears, but this is almost always closed quickly so that no actual time is lost.

If we accept that people should deboard in row order, then someone who turns sideways and puts their knees in the aisle to block line-breakers is not being "passive-aggressive," as some have suggested. Helping others to follow society's rules is a good thing, and such behavior is "passive-helpful."

I do agree that slow people should have the decency to just keep their seats and let others exit.

An Anecdote: I mentioned that I often just keep my seat and let others deboard. This was especially true when the kids were young. On one trip my wife and two then-young children were slowly getting our things together to deboard. We had allowed everyone to get off ahead of us and were taking our sweet time in getting our stuff together. Finally a stewardess came back and told us that "everyone's waiting." It seems that the plane did not deplane into a terminal but rather into some bus contraption. So when we finally boarded the "bus" there were roughly 150 or so people who did not appreciate our act of courtesy glaring at us.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
On a flight just landed at ORD last year, I had some old, fat Midwestern woman literally push right past me while I was in the aisle getting my luggage out of the overhead bin. I couldn't believe it. Then, after I recovered my balance, I started again pulling my bag out - and her old, fat Midwestern friend did the same thing - this time pushing me even harder. Everyone around me was stunned - one guy and I made eye contact, and he just said, "that was so wrong!"

So when I get off the plane, I see the women standing bovinely right outside the gate, not walking anywhere, just hanging out. I say to the second woman, who pushed me the hardest, in a polite but firm voice, "For future reference, one exits the plane row by row." She responded that I should go to hell.

My response is not fit for a family website.
This.
Had I been drinking milk right now it would be shooting through my nose.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:08 am

I had an interesting one last week. Was traveling light for a couple-day business trip, on a two-hour flight. I'd put my laptop bag in the overhead directly above my seat and didn't bother keeping a book or anything with me because it was such a short flight. So we land and get to the gate, wait forever until the back of the plane where I was could exit the plane. When it was my row's turn, I got up and realized that I had to open the bin which slowed me down by one second. Started pulling my laptop out when the teenaged kid who was in the window seat next to me started getting up, which delayed me by one more second because I didn't want to smack him in the head with my bag. By the third second as I was actually pulling my computer out of the bin, some young woman with a huge backpack and a one-year old child on her hip literally smashed herself between me and the seats to push past. As I glanced around in annoyance, I noticed some guy further back in the plane was laughing at her rudeness. Anyway, after she forced her way past me I was finally able to pull my bag out and walk down the aisle.

Only to stop five rows up when I caught up with her because she had to set her oversized backpack in a seat while she re-jiggered the kid who she was about to drop.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jcwoman
I had an interesting one last week. Was traveling light for a couple-day business trip, on a two-hour flight. I'd put my laptop bag in the overhead directly above my seat and didn't bother keeping a book or anything with me because it was such a short flight. So we land and get to the gate, wait forever until the back of the plane where I was could exit the plane. When it was my row's turn, I got up and realized that I had to open the bin which slowed me down by one second. Started pulling my laptop out when the teenaged kid who was in the window seat next to me started getting up, which delayed me by one more second because I didn't want to smack him in the head with my bag. By the third second as I was actually pulling my computer out of the bin, some young woman with a huge backpack and a one-year old child on her hip literally smashed herself between me and the seats to push past. As I glanced around in annoyance, I noticed some guy further back in the plane was laughing at her rudeness. Anyway, after she forced her way past me I was finally able to pull my bag out and walk down the aisle.

Only to stop five rows up when I caught up with her because she had to set her oversized backpack in a seat while she re-jiggered the kid who she was about to drop.
Whats the point of impatience? This is the perfect example of rushing, and causing more delays. If everyone was patient, prepared properly, and exited in a calm orderly fashion, would have been faster than pushing ahead and having to rejig.

Calm down everyone. We ain't getting off the plane any faster. If you want to get off the plane fast, then select and pay for a premium seat upfront of the plane.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Recently went through one of the delays where the FAs asked us to wait while people with tight connections exited first. Most, including us, complied.

A handful of people rushed off the plane, including a couple who'd been seated across from us. After taking our normal turn a few minutes later we noticed them sitting at the Starbucks having coffee. At least they looked sheepish when they saw us looking at them.

Some people are jerks, but I've learned that my life is happier when I just ignore them.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:21 am

^
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Hey, I'm a really fast walker. So doesn't logic mean that all the slowpoke "normal" walkers should sit tight and let me go first?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by nkedel
Isn't going to happen; elites with kids have the same first call on the good seats at the front of coach as elites without kids.

(We've several times now taken 11CEG on the AA763 with my daughter, and indeed, middle-section on a 767 is by far the best place for a family of 3, and a non-exit bulkhead is really nice.)
I don't disagree about elites but I think my point is lost here. If the plane reserves the rear of the aircraft for families or reserved seating it would give families that option to select 4 seats in a row, etc. As one of hte biggest complaints even on FT by families is Johnny at age 8 had to sit alone while pop was 12 rows ahead of him (and flight attendant did nothing to help). While this attempt will NOT work on flights to Orlando - most other non-Spring Break weeks could result in a happy family able to sit together if/when they don't or can't book their seats in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.