Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous things people claimed as travel/business expenses

Ridiculous things people claimed as travel/business expenses

Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:29 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Naturally, if an employees personal habits, including excessive or negligent consumption of alcohol, negatively affected his job performance, then that's legitimate grounds for discipline or termination. But limiting an employee's personal behavior on personal time is very dangerous ground for an employer, unless they can prove that such behavior has a direct bearing on the employee's job performance.
Such is the nature of "at will" employment and the weak labor laws in the US. Companies can fire you for any reason they want, even if you did something off the job on your own time. They don't have to prove that such behavior has a direct bearing on the employee's job performance. All they have to do is tell you that you are fired, no explanation necessary. Unless you have a contract to the contrary, any employer can fire you for personal behavior on personal time.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
My personal opinion is that companies should allowing the expensing of alcoholic drinks for the employees' consumption for the entertainment of clients and for personal use, e.g. a beer or two with dinner after a long day. In return the employee should remember that, A, this is a privilege and not a right, B, they must be fit to work at any reasonable time, and C, their consumption should be minimal (e.g. one or two drinks). After all, why should their employer fund a drinking spree?

I have known individuals who have been banned from expensing alcoholic drinks because they would routinely get hammered every night and expense it back to the company. This was compounded by one of these people trying to say that the customer was with them when they definitely weren't. On a later trip he actually asked an important customer to cover for him if anyone from the company got in touch. He was fired shortly afterwards.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by florin
There are many things wrong with this.
1 - So what if it's recreational? Why should business travel disallow ANY recreational activity? Watching TV is allowed. If the company pays for internet access at the hotel, they don't disallow you browsing for non-business purposes.
2 - Your premise is that one consumes alcohol to feel good. I would argue that a very good meal has similar effects. In fact, a really nice meal often gives me a better feeling than an alcohol buzz. Since no enjoyment can be had, by your standards it should not be paid for by the company.
3 - You are also saying that food is necessary to sustain oneself, therefore it's ok to pay for that, but not for alcohol because it's not a necessity. Well, EXPENSIVE food is not a necessity either. By that logic, the company can ask everyone to eat only at fast food joints. If you think it's unhealthy then just go to Subway (...not to mention that food in many expensive restaurants is not necessarily healthier, or not by much).
4 - You forget that you are dealing with people here, not machines. When I travel for business, I sacrifice various things (e.g. time away from my family). My employer understands that and compensates for the inconvenience in various ways. If you make travel draconian and start being a d-bag about it, then my azz is staying home.

I'm all about being reasonable. When it comes to expenses, having a glass of wine / beer or two with dinner is reasonable, IMO. On a per diem, there should be no questions asked.

If you want we can continue this in another thread; this is going to far off topic, IMO.
Start your new thread, I'll join in. And please re-post this at the beginning, as I'd like to address each of your points.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
When will get back to the topic of the thread versus arguing for or against alcohol?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I have worked for companies that specifically excluded alcohol from reimbursement. As others have stated, the itemized receipt was required for reimbursement and all alcohol was to be subtracted from the total. They didn't have a problem with having a beer at dinner, but they weren't going to fund it. He who has the gold makes the rules ... it never bothered me.
The only time I ever had to do that was when I worked as a government sub-contractor. Itemized receipts, alcohol not covered. My company still reimbursed me for it, but it was not reimbursable to my company by the government. As such, we were asked to keep alcohol consumption "reasonable" which tacitly meant no more than 2 drinks at dinner, and no alcohol could be expensed otherwise.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by greggarious
How do businesses that want receipts handle international travel? I'm a grad student, and they loathe to give us per diem. (probably too many stories of guys buying a loaf of bread, a jar of PB, a jar of jelly, and hitting the bars every night)

But I managed to convince my school to give it to me on a trip to Japan. Since my funding comes from the taxpayers, I cannot turn in receipts with alcohol on them. If I want a beer with dinner, I need 2 receipts - one for the food, one for the beer. (They refuse to just subtract the cost of the beer and not reimburse that portion)

So what happens when I turn in an itemized receipt written entirely in Japanese? I could have bought a bottle of saké for dinner and they wouldn't know. I pointed this out to someone in my department, and was granted per diem. Not a lot (about $100 a day), but more than plenty to eat 3 nice meals a day.
You've got a few different issues mixed together there. First, with regard to receipts printed in foreign language, my experience is that employers often don't bother attempting to translate them unless the amount claimed is significant or the claim is suspicious in some way. It's just not worth the cost of finding and using a translator for routine items. An obvious exception exists for companies where a goodly number of the staff are multilingual or where the finance department is specifically multilingual to support clients in certain foreign countries.

The second issue is per diems versus receipts. If you are truly on a per diem you should not have to furnish receipts. The money is a reasonable amount agreed to ahead of time for you to spend at your discretion. I wonder if you are dealing more with an advance, an amount of money given to you ahead of time which you must still justify spending and return any portion unspent.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Alcohol, on the other hand, has immediate negative health effects and no positive ones other than the enjoyment it brings to those who like the tastes or the intoxication.
Really? I don't think so. Many studies have shown that moderate drinking is actually healthier than no drinking at all. Why should a company prevent me from taking actions to improve my health, in this case by being a moderate drinker?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:32 pm

To go back to the original premise of the thread:

Funniest thing I ever expensed (well, technically I was a child and my Dad expensed it)? When I was about 5 my Dad took me on a business trip. Happened lots. Generally I'd be at a trade show playing games on a piece of business equipment that we were selling. People would say, "Well, what a cute kid, can he show me how to run it?". And I did. I was great for sales.

The best thing was that we'd stop at McDonalds or Dairy Queen on the road on the way back home. I remember my Dad telling me to hang onto any receipts whether it's for a pop or parking, admissions, anything.

I always wondered how he felt about going into the office and expensing chicken McNuggets. Or a Frosty (from Wendy's). I think he put a very good example on though. We didn't eat anywhere fancy, we didn't stay at expensive hotels and by example, our staff ate at a lot of food courts and stayed at a lot of Days inns.

As for alcohol, try convincing me that a few cocktails are good for performance? In that case, I practically demand that you buy a bottle of Boone's and drink it first thing in the AM.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by CKA1
I always wondered how he felt about going into the office and expensing chicken McNuggets. Or a Frosty (from Wendy's).
I once expensed a Mr Snuffleupagus funnel cake.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberino
My personal opinion is that companies should allowing the expensing of alcoholic drinks for the employees' consumption for the entertainment of clients and for personal use, e.g. a beer or two with dinner after a long day. In return the employee should remember that, A, this is a privilege and not a right, B, they must be fit to work at any reasonable time, and C, their consumption should be minimal (e.g. one or two drinks). After all, why should their employer fund a drinking spree?
I agree.

I actually got called into my boss' (and company owner) office once and was "chastised" for not expensing the few beers I had with dinner. I didn't make that "mistake" again...

Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by roberino
I agree that with a client, customer or colleague all alcohol consumed should be expensed because it is part of a business interaction.

However, at the end of the day when on my own I'll pay for my own. That way I'm not looking over my shoulder about the quantity or quality of the adult beverages I might consume and don't have to answer to anyone.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The second issue is per diems versus receipts. If you are truly on a per diem you should not have to furnish receipts. The money is a reasonable amount agreed to ahead of time for you to spend at your discretion. I wonder if you are dealing more with an advance, an amount of money given to you ahead of time which you must still justify spending and return any portion unspent.
US tax law says reimbursements are not taxable income, per diems are. (The expenses can be deductible against the per diems.)
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by exbayern
I once expensed a Mr Snuffleupagus funnel cake.
Where on earth can I find one of those? I love funnel cake and the novelty has me wanting one.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Consultette
Where on earth can I find one of those? I love funnel cake and the novelty has me wanting one.
http://sesameplace.com/en/langhorne/dine-and-shop/

The precedent had already been set by a colleague, who had previously expensed a Camp Snoopy funnel cake. http://blog.mallofamerica.com/dining...an-get-at-moa/
Old May 2, 2014, 8:55 am

Back in the day, someone in our office claimed hotel in-room "movies". I think the pay-per-view system wasn't functioning well, and the bill accidentally included the titles of the so called "movies". The guy was fired later

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.