Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Rant: To Mr. L - Seated in First Class

Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
What flights are you guys taking that have open seats so that people can be moved? Every flight I've taken in the last several years has been packed to the gills.

My wife would have told the FA to pound sand. My wife is not a "do what she's told" kind of girl. She's a "do what's right" person. The pissed-off guy should have taken another seat.

Just yesterday on PHL-ATL I was seated next to a less than 1yo baby. He was a squirmer, and cried and sreamed and tried his best to twist and contorn himself out of his mothers arms. He finally tired and fell asleep, but then awoke to more of the same later. I raised 2 myself so crying babies don't bother me, but I can bet others were annoyed. But on the other hand I've flown with babies that made not a peep - you just never know.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'm confused if this was a lap child or not?

NO excuse for the 1K's behavior - he could have discreetly asked if it's be possible to move - but I would not want to sit next to an almost 2 year old lap child in Y or in F. If there's no place for the toddler to sit, he/she is often going to encroach on me in some major way.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by PTravel
Perhaps I missed something, here. Was 1K assigned 1L and your wife and daughter had taken a seat to which they were not assigned? Or had 1K simply wanted 1L? I'm confused.
Sounds like F was full so in order to not have another pax have an issue with being seated next to a kid, the FA swapped the OP's wife into a D seat in the 767's 2-1-2 F config. Hence, a pax in D got moved to L because they "wanted" a window but that pax left the shade down.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The oaf should have been reseated.

That said, I think your wife probably did the wise thing to get away fom the oaf. Chalk it up to there being a certain percentage of firstclass holes in this world.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
That heavily tattooed, non-seatbelt-wearing outlaw kid looks pretty intimidating to me.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Children belong in the back of the plane. That's why god invented coach.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM, AMEX Plat, Hertz 1, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by PTravel
Perhaps I missed something, here. Was 1K assigned 1L and your wife and daughter had taken a seat to which they were not assigned? Or had 1K simply wanted 1L? I'm confused.
Wife was upgraded to seat 1L. Grouchy guy upgraded to 1K. Grouchy guy did not want to sit next to child - threw a tantrum - FA made my wife swap seats with another PAX in 4D to accomodate 1K.

Originally Posted by pittpanther
My wife would have told the FA to pound sand. My wife is not a "do what she's told" kind of girl. She's a "do what's right" person. The pissed-off guy should have taken another seat.
My wife agreeably needs more "Jersey" in her.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Rotflmao

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Children belong in the back of the plane. That's why god invented coach.
Exactly.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WBrinegar
Wife was upgraded to seat 1L. Grouchy guy upgraded to 1K. Grouchy guy did not want to sit next to child - threw a tantrum - FA made my wife swap seats with another PAX in 4D to accomodate 1K.
Understood, thank you.

I agree with squeakr -- though 1K was incredibly, inexcusably and unacceptably rude, I would, too, have asked, discretely, to have been re-seated. Even in F, as I've learned from experience, the likelihood of encroachment by a lap-toddler is simply too high. Your daughter looks very sweet, and I understand that a number of posters would enjoy the opportunity to interact with her. I probably would under other circumstances, but when I fly I only want to be left alone with my Bose, my iPad and my drink.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM, AMEX Plat, Hertz 1, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by coloneltigh
Sounds like F was full so in order to not have another pax have an issue with being seated next to a kid, the FA swapped the OP's wife into a D seat in the 767's 2-1-2 F config. Hence, a pax in D got moved to L because they "wanted" a window but that pax left the shade down.
Bingo.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
steve4031, you gonna answer about what you found passive aggressive here? Or is it passive aggressive merely to sit in your beloved premium cabin sanctuary?

Once I have kids, I intend to fly in F with them whenever possible. Seems much more pleasant that way.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by pittpanther
But on the other hand I've flown with babies that made not a peep - you just never know.
I find that two-three large shots of vodka (for parent or child. Or both) make flights very predictable and quiet.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Some kids are better behaved than so called adults. I have had my worst experiences with attitude towards the front of the plane.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:11 pm

I appreciate your story, but when people refer to their OWN children as "angels", well..........
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
If only there were child-free airlines so these kind of confrontations don't have to happen.

And no, that doesn't mean I agree with the jerk from the OP. He didn't have the right to demand that your wife and child move.

I just prefer not to be around children (that's why I don't have any myself), especially in an enclosed environment where I don't have the option to move or leave.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.