Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights between 2 airport that no other Flyertalker has ever done

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
on a revenue flight?

I have about two dozen log entries for that, in one direction or the other, as a Boeing flight test engineer ...
Not quite, but I saved my boarding pass:

Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
How are people determining that their route has never been flown by another FTer?

On this thread I have seen multiple routes mentioned that have been done by people whom I know, including by some people whom I know to have posted to FT before.

It seem like most people are just guessing that, amongst over 500k FTers, few or none may have flown between the airport/city pairs they are mentioning in this thread; that and hoping (or hoping not) to find someone who has traveled between the same airport/city pair.
You seem to be taking a strict constitutionalist view of the thread title. I interpret it more loosely to actually mean "Flights It's Unlikely Many FTers Have Flown" or perhaps "Interesting Routes Taken By You"
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CMK10
You seem to be taking a strict constitutionalist view of the thread title. I interpret it more loosely to actually mean "Flights It's Unlikely Many FTers Have Flown" or perhaps "Interesting Routes Taken By You"
The thread title seeks one thing while the original post seeks another, with the latter being more loose indeed.

But even under the latter, more loose view of the thread, the question remains about how are people determining that an FTer-flown route has never been flown -- or is unlikely to ever have been flown -- by more than one FTer.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
The thread title seeks one thing while the original post seeks another, with the latter being more loose indeed.

But even under the latter, more loose view of the thread, the question remains about how are people determining that an FTer-flown route has never been flown -- or is unlikely to ever have been flown -- by more than one FTer.
under that latter interpretation, does the question even matter?

although, since it obviously matters to you, I guess the more relevant question is "why does it even matter?"

I also guess the ~440 posts from FTers who have apparently enjoyed the exchange mean the respective answers are "no" and "it doesn't"
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
under that latter interpretation, does the question even matter?

although, since it obviously matters to you, I guess the more relevant question is "why does it even matter?"

I also guess the ~440 posts from FTers who have apparently enjoyed the exchange mean the respective answers are "no" and "it doesn't"
It matters.

It matters because asking questions is instrumental to possibly learning more and learning how to contribute more.

I'm just curious. That's how I learn.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It matters.

It matters because asking questions is instrumental to possibly learning more and learning how to contribute more.

I'm just curious. That's how I learn.
All due respect but who cares? We've got a good discussion going here with fun stories, nice back and forth and an interest look at bygone routes. Does it matter if others have flown them or not? Sometimes threads evolve beyond their original title, if it really bothers you, press the AAM button and a mod will change it.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

Of course no one can determine that a route has never been flown (short of scouring every thread on FlyerTalk for evidence, which obviously wouldn't be fully probative), but we are posting routes that we are speculating that maybe no other FlyerTalk member, or few, have flown, probably for some combination of the following reasons:

-- Both ends are small and/or obscure places.

-- The flights are far away from the U.S. and western Europe, where the preponderance of members seem to reside.

-- The flights are on airlines that do not earn miles in the major alliances or the major non-alliance carriers in which FlyerTalk members typically accrue miles, and hence are less likely to be flown. (As with many members here, I assume, when I shop for flights, the ability to earn miles that are useful for me is a significant consideration.)

I like this thread, and am always impressed that no matter how obscure a flight has seemed, in most cases multiple members have flown it. To your point, I would be slightly interested in some sort of mechanism by which we could confirm that no other FlyerTalk member (at least one who is aware of this thread) has ever flown a posted route.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:03 pm
Suspended

All due respect but who cares?
You can figure out that at least one cares.

We've got a good discussion going here with fun stories, nice back and forth and an interest look at bygone routes.
Which is why I asked what I did.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:38 pm

SDU-CGH, between Rio's and Sao Paulo's smaller airports (part of a SDU-CGH/GRU-MAO-GIG-BSB trip)
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:41 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow read through the thread I'm surprised I have 2 to add.

SGN-DLI on VN
LPQ-HAN on Lao Airlines
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: DL,EK
How are people determining that their route has never been flown by another FTer?
It is just a guess, based on being obscure. I flew on Qatar Airways from Doha, Qatar to Mashhad, Iran. My thought was that not too many people have been to Iran, and of those that have, most would fly into Tehran, so Mashhad seems like a good bet for being unique.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
It is just a guess, based on being obscure. I flew on Qatar Airways from Doha, Qatar to Mashhad, Iran. My thought was that not too many people have been to Iran, and of those that have, most would fly into Tehran, so Mashhad seems like a good bet for being unique.
You have to remember that Flyertalk is global and it's mainly Americans who cannot easily visit Iran. Europeans and Gulf citizens go to Iran quite a lot, especially on business. Otherwise airlines like QR wouldn't have a flight to Mashad.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
Europeans and Gulf citizens go to Iran quite a lot, especially on business. Otherwise airlines like QR wouldn't have a flight to Mashad.
Pretty sure flights from gulf countries to Mashad have nothing to do with people flying there for work

I missed my MHD-IFN flight, and ended up taking the overnight train. Which in retrospect was a far more interesting experience, ending up as instant celebrities amongst the travellers on it
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I'm sure there are a few of us who've flown DXB-KBL and vice versa.

One of my more uncommon routes was TZX-MZR (flown r/t twice).
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:19 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
The most uncommon regularly-scheduled flight I've ever flown was BZE-DGA (Dangriga) R/T. Not terribly exotic but I've never seen anyone mention it here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.