Wiki Posts
Search

Top 10 Longest **Domestic** Flights in the World

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Top 10 Longest **Domestic** Flights in the World

Ok, ok, I realize this topic (and thread) comes up time and time again but with routes being added and removed all the time it's useful to revisit every now and again and it's always interesting to look at. Plus, I'm more of a visual learner so I wanted to map them all. I've done some research through, old threads, airline timetables, wikipedia etc... and have come up with this list of the Top 10. What do you guys think? Are there any I'm missing?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Blitz - TOP 10: LONGEST DOMESTIC FLIGHTS IN THE WORLD

You'd think that this was a cut and dry topic, but it's far from it. What flights should count? Non-stop only? Contiguous countries? Territories and dependencies (they do often have the same currency and government as their mother country). As a result we've had to categorize the list a bit. We'll start with a little background: the IATA (International Air Transport Association) defines "domestic" as two places with the same ISO country code. Contrary to the IATA definition, however, the regular passenger considers domestic flights as those where they do not need to pass immigration on departure and arrival.

LONGEST NON-STOP DOMESTIC FLIGHT

The winner: St. Denis, Reunion-RUN to Paris-CDG operated by Air Austral covering 5,809 miles in 11h 10mins on a B777. This is same ISO code to same ISO code, so quite technically it's the longest non-stop domestic flight in the world.

In addition to the CDG-RUN route, Air France, Air Caraibes and Corsair International operate flights from Paris-ORY to Reunion-RUN, which is just 7 miles shorter than the CDG-RUN route for a total of 5,802 miles.

Runner up: USA coming in for a strong second with New York-JFK to Honolulu-HNL at 4,983 miles in 10 hours and 50 minutes. Operated by Hawaiian Airlines on an Airbus A330.

Worth noting: Either France had a much larger Empire that I realized or they've just maintained control of the territories longer than say Portugal or Great Britain and can therefore be qualified as domestic. Either way, with these two flights below, France's total has jumped to 3 of the longest domestic flights in the world.
- Paris-ORY - Cayenne, French Guinea-CAY (ISO Country: FRANCE) - 9h 15m flight - 4,401 miles. Flown by Air Caraibes & Air France from ORY.
- Paris-ORY - Fort-de-France, Martinique-FDF (ISO Country: FRANCE) - 8h 50m flight - 4,259 miles. Flown by Air France, Corsair International and Air Caraibes from ORY.

Longest non-stop domestic flight within contiguous country

Winner: Moscow-DME to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky Airport-PKC clocking in at 4,224 miles. The flight takes 8h 40mins on Transaero’s B777-300. A very close second, but technically the same market, is Moscow-SVO to PKC, coming in just 21 miles shorter at 4,203 miles. This flight takes just 8h 05mins on Aeroflot’s B777-300ER (Rossiya Airlines sells tickets as well). Super impressive that this flight doesn’t pass over borders or water.

Runner-up: The second longest domestic flight is from Sakhalin, Russia-UUS to Moscow-SVO for a distance of 4,140 miles. Aeroflot’s Airbus A330 makes the trip in 8h 50 mins.

For comparison: The longest non-stop flight in the contiguous 48-states is Miami-MIA to Seattle-SEA on American Airlines at 2,724 miles in 6 hours 40 minutes. So, yes, if there’s one thing Russia is still better than us at, it’s being fricken enormous–really giving Texas a run for its money.

LONGEST DOMESTIC FLIGHT WITH STOP

The winner: Paris-CDG to Papeete-PPT with a stop in Los Angeles-LAX. The cool thing? LAX couldn’t be anymore perfectly in route: the total distance with a stop at LAX of 9,765 miles – exactly matching the total distance if it could be flown directly. The flight is operated by both Air France (on a B777) and Air Tahiti Nui (Airbus A340) and takes a total of 22h 30mins: 12 hours from CDG-LAX, a 2 hour stop and a final 8h 30 mins on the LAX-PPT leg.

Now should this officially count? Ehh, French Polynesia is just a territory but…Francois Hollande is the president. They do use their own currency, though. Either way, it’s on this list and pretty cool that you can fly CDG-LAX-PPT all on the same Flight #, without ever having to deplane (I think), although I’m sure you would at least want to!

Runner-up: Houston-IAH to Guam-GUM with a connection in Honolulu-HNL. Flight #201 is operated by United Airlines and is technically 7,705 miles, though you could argue that only the direct distance of 7,446 miles should be counted. The total westbound trip takes 17h 1min: IAH-HNL in 8h 12mins, a 1hr 4 min stop and a 7hr 45 min flight from HNL-GUM.

Same debate applies with Guam as did Papeete, should it be included? Well Obama is the President, they have a governor and they use the US $ as their only currency. Sounds like ‘Merica to me.

FRICKEN COOLEST DOMESTIC FLIGHT?

Winner: RAF Brize Norton, UK-BZZ to RAF Mount Pleasant Airport-MPN (Stanley, Falklands) would come in at 7,840 miles if flown direct but since they have to stop for refueling in Ascension Island-ASI the total is 8,096 miles.

But what’s so cool about this flight? The British Ministry of Defence (sic–as with most words in the Queen’s version of English) arranges the flights and sells only between 10-30 seats per flight to civilians. It used to be flown entirely on Royal Air Force (RAF) equipment, but now is contracted out to different charter companies. They fly a few times a week and sell seats that aren’t needed for British Military personnel. Don’t expect any deals, though: the flights will run you about Ł2,222 roundtrip ($3,450!). More info available here.

Weekend Blitz - TOP 10: LONGEST DOMESTIC FLIGHTS IN THE WORLD

Last edited by jmgriffin; Aug 9, 2013 at 10:04 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Very interesting - thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:00 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Either way, it’s on this list and pretty cool that you can fly CDG-LAX-PPT all on the same Flight #, without ever having to deplane (I think), although I’m sure you would at least want to!
Thanks for sharing all these informations ^

You have to deplane and go through immigration and security check because the USA don't have a transit area
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:07 pm

For comparison: The longest non-stop flight in the contiguous 48-states is Miami-MIA to Seattle-SEA on American Airlines at 2,724 miles in 6 hours 40 minutes. So, yes, if there’s one thing Russia is still better than us at, it’s being fricken enormous–really giving Alaska a run for its money.

Fixed it.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, ok, I realize this topic (and thread) comes up time and time again but with routes being added and removed all the time it's useful to revisit every now and again and it's always interesting to look at.
I would be great if you could update the existing thread on this

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...available.html

with all this information.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: FB Plat / SNCF GV Le Club / Accor Plat
LONGEST DOMESTIC FLIGHT WITH STOP

The winner: Paris-CDG to Papeete-PPT with a stop in Los Angeles-LAX. The cool thing? LAX couldn’t be anymore perfectly in route: the total distance with a stop at LAX of 9,765 miles – exactly matching the total distance if it could be flown directly. The flight is operated by both Air France (on a B777) and Air Tahiti Nui (Airbus A340) and takes a total of 22h 30mins: 12 hours from CDG-LAX, a 2 hour stop and a final 8h 30 mins on the LAX-PPT leg.

Now should this officially count? Ehh, French Polynesia is just a territory but…Francois Hollande is the president. They do use their own currency, though. Either way, it’s on this list and pretty cool that you can fly CDG-LAX-PPT all on the same Flight #, without ever having to deplane (I think), although I’m sure you would at least want to!
That is so funny. I plotted the exact same route a few days ago on gcmap to get the same conclusion about the location of LAX.

I'm pretty sure all passengers have to deplane, though - so that the aircraft gets cleaned while refueled.

Last edited by psychoid; Aug 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
That's really interesting, thanks for the share!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Very well put together, organized and concise. The addition of maps does add a lot for the visual learner. Thanks for your time!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G_G
Thanks for sharing all these informations ^

You have to deplane and go through immigration and security check because the USA don't have a transit area
Originally Posted by psychoid
That is so funny. I plotted the exact same route a few days ago on gcmap to get the same conclusion about the location of LAX.

I'm pretty sure all passengers have to deplane, though - so that the aircraft gets cleaned while refueled.
Thanks for info! Will update...

Originally Posted by nerd
I would be great if you could update the existing thread on this

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...available.html

with all this information.
Got it, I will copy/paste....

Originally Posted by SMFlagg
Very well put together, organized and concise. The addition of maps does add a lot for the visual learner. Thanks for your time!
Thanks! Very glad people are enjoying it!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:51 pm

Thanks for putting this together- love the maps.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Excellent job! This is an example of why I love FT because you always learn something.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:34 pm

The coolest is pretty cool.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Excellent job! This is an example of why I love FT because you always learn something.
Thanks. I've already had a few comments that I missed a few flights. I've updated the main post here, of course, Weekend Blitz - TOP 10: LONGEST DOMESTIC FLIGHTS IN THE WORLD. Here are the additions (causing some to move down on the list):

UPDATE 8/10: Added AMS-BON route, thanks Scottbee/Boffin.
Worth noting: A 3rd place medal goes to the Amsterdam-AMS – Bonaire-BON route flown by Arkefly’s 767-300 for 4,844 miles, scheduled flight time is 11h 0 mins.

Longest non-stop domestic flight within contiguous country

Update 8/10: PlymSpotter points out that:
  • The longest domestic flight in Russia is actually AER-KHV at 4,287 miles
  • Moscow-VKO – PKC is actually a few miles longer than the DME-PKC route.
  • DME-UUS is 10 miles longer than SVO-UUS.
  • Updates have been made below.
Winner: Khabarovsk, Russia-KHV to Adler, Russia-ADL clocking in at 4,287 miles is flown on a Transaero B767-200 in 9h 30 mins. Interestingly, the Transaero website says that they fly the route in 4,271 miles making them either guilty of a typo or they're fricken magicians.

Runner(s) up: Just about all Moscow airports (VKO, DME and SVO) fly direct to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky Airport-PKC (I mean is that really necessary, Russia?), super impressive that these flights don’t pass over borders or water:
  • Moscow-VKO – PKC = 4,228 miles on a Transaero 767-300.
  • Moscow-DME - PKC = 4,224 miles. The flight takes 8h 40mins on Transaero’s B777-300.
  • Moscow-SVO - PKC = 4,203 miles. This flight takes just 8h 05mins on Aeroflot’s B777-300ER (Rossiya Airlines sells tickets as well).

Last edited by jmgriffin; Aug 10, 2013 at 8:44 am
Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by psychoid
Interesting post by the OP.

Well I presume GC Map is overall pretty accurate, there are some results that are a bit hard to believe. For example:

BOS-LAS 2381
BOS-ORD-LAS 2381
BOS-BUF-ORD-DEN-LAS 2385

Possible? I can't prove otherwise but given that runways are several miles long, it seems there is more than a simple rounding issue.

But either way, LAX is still just about perfect for the CDG-PPT route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.