Community
Wiki Posts
Search

People who crowd the luggage claim carousel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:43 am
Original Poster

I apologize if this rant has been given before...

It would seem like common sense that it is a moronic idea to stand, literally, touching the carousel as you wait for your luggage.

Indeed, ideally, folks would stand a couple steps away from the carousel. Then, when they see their luggage, they step forward to grab it.

This is simply and obviously the way it should be done, based on the simple geometry of a circle (the bigger the circle, the more people that can fit), and the obvious sight-lines that are opened/closed depending on how close people stand to the carousel.

Am I the only one who gets this????

I try to spread the word, by (Loudly) commenting about the "morons" who think they need to practically stand on the carousel.

But...should it go beyond comments???

Should the airlines put up signs: "Stand at least 4 feet back from carousel until you identify your bag"

Or...should there be a yellow line painted on the ground that is not to be crossed until one is ready to grab his/her bag????

This is one of my BIGGEST peeves at the airport...just curious if anybody else notices this????
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:53 am

Pay $50 to have a Priority Claim Area at the carousel.

In all seriousness, I think it's based on fear of someone taking your bag (so you want to see the carousel/bags), and the need to have space to retrieve it, without having to ask people to move. Also, it's a chicken/egg thing - the more people block your view, the closer you want to get, thus you're blocking the view for others.

Although I agree with the concept you presented, I must say that I didn't think about it, and that I usually stand right next to the carousel, unless it's REALLY crowded.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

They do gum up the works but I don't think your passive-aggressive solution of calling them all morons while speaking to nobody in particular is useful or endearing. On those occasions when I find myself on the outside looking in and I see my bag, a simple "excuse me" usually suffices to provide me the space I need to retrieve it.

Also, in before the move out of the DL forum.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:05 am
Original Poster

I don't fear anyone taking my bag, but I 100% agree with the chicken/egg theory.

I simply find it VERY annoying, when the carousel is packed with people having their knees pressed up against the metal.

Do they not realize that they can sand 4 feet back, then step forward when they see their bag???

Why does the airline/airport not realize this???

I am a dumb, dumb, dumb, dense, moronic guy....but it's completely obvious to me...so I CAN'T be the only one who realizes the supreme flaw in the way things are currently done...
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:54 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ChurnBabyChurn
I apologize if this rant has been given before...

It would seem like common sense that it is a moronic idea to stand, literally, touching the carousel as you wait for your luggage.

Indeed, ideally, folks would stand a couple steps away from the carousel. Then, when they see their luggage, they step forward to grab it.

This is simply and obviously the way it should be done, based on the simple geometry of a circle (the bigger the circle, the more people that can fit), and the obvious sight-lines that are opened/closed depending on how close people stand to the carousel.

Am I the only one who gets this????

I try to spread the word, by (Loudly) commenting about the "morons" who think they need to practically stand on the carousel.

But...should it go beyond comments???

Should the airlines put up signs: "Stand at least 4 feet back from carousel until you identify your bag"

Or...should there be a yellow line painted on the ground that is not to be crossed until one is ready to grab his/her bag????

This is one of my BIGGEST peeves at the airport...just curious if anybody else notices this????
I freely admit to being one of those morons. I always stand up close to the belt near where the bags come out. I don't want people taking my bags. If I'm in your way, a simple "excuse me, that's my bag" will work.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:08 am

I stand back too... even though with *G , and on the airlines I usually fly where Priority tags WORK, I pretty much always have to try to get TO the bag past folks whose own bags are nowhere in sight yet...

Yes, I find it irritating too.... realjd..It isn't that one can't simply say "Excuse me"... or that folks will not let you past... they will.. but it makes it SO much harder for everyone else to SEE the damn bags in the first place!

I think it's selfish....

Those hovering at the Gate are called Gate lice.... so do we label these folks similarly???
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Belt lice?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Belt lice?

That works.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: DL DM
If this is one of your biggest peeves at the airport, you are a lucky traveler.

IME, most baggage claim belts are quite long. If you hate the crowds and are not concerned about theft, go wait for your bag right where the belt disappears back behind the wall. No one ever waits there. Ever. Problem solved.

In before the move.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ChurnBabyChurn
This already exists at ARN and works quite well there, and I feel like I read an article about a US airport that saw that and did the same, though I couldn't tell you which one.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:41 am

Anybody inside the line for >30 secs, gets zapped.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This is definitely not a DL subject so I am moving it over to TravelBuzz where more people can crowd in.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I'm pretty good at elbowing my way to the front when required. I don't think the sound of someone muttering "moron" would deter me.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i do not understand why black was the only bag for years. now red is the only bag. everyone looks strangely at my bag. i have a large fluffy yellow ribbon tied to the handle. with that ribbon, i do not need to stand next to the belt to see the piece, and when it is close to arriving, i say loudly "excuse me" in the appropriate language, and shove into place, pushing all the (lice?) aside.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:26 am

I'm patient too, and stand back until I see my bags coming around. I also go to the less crowded area like just before the belt disappears back into the building. My peeves are people who move immediately in front of me and then just stand there - that just seems so rude. I've also seen people swing their bags off the belt coming close to flattening people standing near them. That's also unbelievably rude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.