Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the longest turbo prop flight you have taken?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the longest turbo prop flight you have taken?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
3:30 in good weather

I've done DUT-ANC and the return many times in the Saab and a few times in a King Air. ANC-DUT is much more problematic. A typical busy season morning would see Saab's leaving every 15 minutes from ANC. Inevitably the winds would force a fuel/wait out the weather in DUT stop in CDB. Six Saab loads of people would crowd into the one room/one bathroom/one coffee pot CDB terminal for a few hours until they realize that the weather in DUT was not going to clear. Then everybody gets back in the Saab's, heads back to ANC to try again the next morning.

I can only recall twice that we made it from ANC-DUT without a stop. DUT-ANC is a wind assisted cakewalk in comparison.

To save weight, they would often load the pax on the Saab's, but put luggage in a Metro and fly it separately.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I've been fortunate enough that it has only been Great Lakes flights between Denver & Telluride on a Beechcraft 1900 and occasionally some SFO/MRY & LAX/SBA on Brasilia 120 all with travel time under about 55 min.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
A single engine Waco UPF-7 bi-plane ride over Puget Sound in 2010.
That's not a turbo-prop. It's a radial engine with a propeller.
I stand corrected. Proves how much I know or I don't know
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *Alliance Gold
Lockheed Electra ORD LGA early 1960's
Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
DCA-GSP, and that was enough.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
HPN to BUF on (I think) Allegheny Airlines, circa 1975. Had a 150 kt headwind, as announced by the pilot. We dropped to ~ 7500 ft to avoid, could see cars on the NY Thruway "passing" us as their ground speed was greater than ours! Had to stop at ROC to refuel. Don't remember how long it took total but I sure remember that flight.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Looks like Icelandair are about to for the record, certainly in Europe anyway.. they've announced direct flights from BHD (Belfast City) to KEFlavik (why, beats me unless they are feeding the North American routes) in a Bombardier Q400: flight time 2:55!

News release here
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:03 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
LED-TAS in a fabulous Aeroflot TU-114 eggbeater -

Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: DL,EK
6:45 from Vilanculos to Pemba in Mozambique.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by JMN57
I was chatting Monday with a soon to retire AA pilot and we ended up talking about that plane. He called it the "San Antonio sewer pipe" - a name I'd never heard for that aircraft but entirely appropriate (it was made by Fairchild in San Antonio).
Some good nicknames for that one:

"SA 227 Metroliner: San-Antonio sewerpipe, Texas Sewer Pipe, Death pencil, The Screamin Weenie, Texas Lawn Dart, Swetro (It got very hot in the summer), Baltimore Whore (no visible means of support, skinny lil 'ol wings), Terror Tube, "That noisy ....ing thing", Widow maker, Kerosene Crowbar, Fear tube, Necroliner, Buzzbomb, Metrowhiner, Death Tube, San Antone Sewer Rocket.... With Garrett Grenades."
http://www.b737.org.uk/aircraftnicknames.htm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:13 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
PHL-DAB, Eastern Air Lines Lockheed Electra. Probably had three or four intermediate stops; I remember DCA was one of them.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
SEA - RNO and return on the Q400 is the longest for me
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
6:45 from Vilanculos to Pemba in Mozambique.
When? What aircraft? Commercial or private? If commercial, what airline? Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:13 am

Only counting nonstop, scheduled flights on modern aircraft:

Perth (PER) to Karratha (KTA). Can't recall exact plane. Was a 3 hour flight. Plenty of regional Australian flights in Queensland and WA that are quite long, but also happened a long time ago.

Next year I'll be flying Suva (SUV) to Funafuti (FUN) which is a close to 3 hour flight on an ATR 72.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
FHB-OFP (Fernandina Beach, FL to Hanover County Airport, VA)
541 miles
Sole passenger on private King Air 350. Lovely!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.