Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bags - Overhead Bin - Super Aggressive Couple

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Holy cow, what a big fit this couple threw over bags in the overhead bin on a flight from BNA to DFW this week. I was sitting in 14A, my carryon bag was in the bin directly opposite me in 14D, it's a full flight and the overhead bins are filling up fast. In the last few people that boarded was a couple who each had a carryon and bag for under the seat. The husband started rearranging the bins over my head and directly across from me. He starts shouting you people put the bags on the wrong side, you people loaded your bags wrong. There were three bags in the bin where my bag was, but there was a small bit of space beside my bag and my bag I was carrying that week was 19" so there was some space in front of it. He points at my bag and decides it shouldn't be where it is so his wife starts to yank it out. I tell them please stop touching my bag. He tells me put my bag under my seat, I am taking up his overhead space. I tell him no, I have my laptop case under my seat and my wheeled carry on won't fit under there anyway. He is exclaiming and pointing at my bag and gesturing with his arms telling me I must move my bag. I am not sure where I was supposed to put it but he wanted the space my carryon was in.

His wife reached for my bag and tugged on it again, I told them again please stop touching my bag in a louder voice. Then his wife turned around to argue with me. I am in the A seat so they are shouting over the person in B's head, poor girl so I push the flight attendant button. Then this woman walks up behind them while they were arguing with me, stuffs her small duffle beside and in front of my bag effectively blocking it in. The husband takes one look at that and realizes that argument was done. It was all I could do to keep from busting out laughing.

The husband goes back to rearranging the bin over my head and yelling all you people put your bags in wrong. The flight attendant shows up and he starts to argue with her. She tells him we are ready to close the door, he will have to check his bags. He yells no I am not checking our bags, we are going to Denver we need our bags. She offers to put him on the next flight and he ignores her. He then looks at a woman in a row sitting behind me and says I am sorry you have to gate check your bag and yanks her bag out of the bin and stuffs his carryon in the bin right in front of the FA. The flight attendant tells him sir you can't do that, you will need to leave the plane now and take a later flight. She takes his bag out and puts the other woman's bag back in. He is just beside himself and his wife is shouting people put their bags in the bins wrong leaving no room for others. The FA tells them both you need to check these two bags or leave the plane and catch the next flight. Reluctantly they let them take their two bags, 4 other bags were checked as well so they weren't the only ones not to get bin space.

So is this saga over yet? Nope, they were one row behind me. When we landed at DFW the gentleman in 15B stands up immediately and gets his carryon down. Mr. and Mrs. Loudmouth are in 15 D and E, the wife in the middle. The wife stands up and starts shouting you must let us off, move out of the way, we must catch our flight. The 15B guy says lady no one is moving yet, we will all leave when it is our turn. She crawls out of the middle seat and tells this guy move out of my way, I need to get my bag. 15B tells her Ma'am you need to settle down. She tells him I just need off this plane and I needed to get my bag, I am going to Denver. So she pulls a bag out from under her seat while pushing him slightly. He tells her again please calm down, we all get off at the same time.

DFW is my home airport but I was catching another flight later that evening and as I deplaned I was so happy I didn't have to be on the flight to Denver with this super aggressive loud couple.

I have read stories about people taking other people's bags out of the overhead bin and sitting them on the floor but this was the first time I witnessed it first hand that I can remember. The flight attendant did a good job handling it once she got there but I was kinda hoping she would make them get off. After the deplaning process I wonder if 15B felt the same way?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:43 pm

I've always been tempted when I get to my seat and find a random bag in the bin over my seat left behind by someone seated in the back of the plane who figured it was a bright idea to deposit the bag in some row near the front to pick up on the way out to just shout loudly "does anyone know whose bag this is?" and remove it from the bin.

Also, I get annoyed at the rollerbags people keep putting in sideways or small bags that could easily fit on top of larger bags put in beside them and so on. So I'm often rearranging bags to be more space efficient.

So I read your story with a bit of "there but for the grace of something go I" feeling. I could easily be these two if I a bit more nuts. Never actually had a problem I guess I'm safe?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres

Wow, that story is incredible. They should've been removed. But the bags in the bin thing is easy. If you buy an economy ticket it is possible that you may have to gate check your bag. There are fares that can be purchased so that you get on the plane ahead of most others so if this was a big deal for them, they should've bought one of those tickets. Instead, it was everyone else's fault when things didn't work out like they expected.

I hope I never run into these people.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I've always been tempted when I get to my seat and find a random bag in the bin over my seat left behind by someone seated in the back of the plane who figured it was a bright idea to deposit the bag in some row near the front to pick up on the way out to just shout loudly "does anyone know whose bag this is?" and remove it from the bin.
I guess I don't quite understand your thinking on this. Why would you take someone else's bag out of a bin?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
I guess I don't quite understand your thinking on this. Why would you take someone else's bag out of a bin?
Because some people put their bag on the bin over say 15-16 and their seat is 27 or something that far back. Just so that they are guaranteed space. Unless this arrangement is provided by the FAs, it should be considered bag abandonment.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by felipegarcia
Because some people put their bag on the bin over say 15-16 and their seat is 27 or something that far back. Just so that they are guaranteed space. Unless this arrangement is provided by the FAs, it should be considered bag abandonment.
No.

Don't mess with other peoples' bags, other than to move them slightly in the bin.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by felipegarcia
I say go for it. It's no more than they deserve. Dumb nuts.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I've been on many flights where the attendants specifically say "find any open space, it's first come first serve."

No passenger has the right to touch, let alone remove another passengers bag.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Raptl1985
I've been on many flights where the attendants specifically say "find any open space, it's first come first serve."

No passenger has the right to touch, let alone remove another passengers bag.
I didn't think it was about "rights". It was about teaching some moron a lesson.

If you're that clueless that you dump a bag in an empty bin 10 rows in front of where you're sitting then you clearly don't care what happens to it.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by User Name
I didn't think it was about "rights". It was about teaching some moron a lesson.

If you're that clueless that you dump a bag in an empty bin 10 rows in front of where you're sitting then you clearly don't care what happens to it.
Let me know if you need a referral to a good plastic surgeon after you get punched in the nose.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:49 pm
IPG

Programs: *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold,

This.Story.Is.Everything. I have not laughed that hard in awhile. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
One time I was in F on a flight from ONT to IAH. It was a 6AM flight and so I was running a little late (I hate mornings). By the time I boarded there wasn't much F space left but I managed to get my maximum in every dimension bag in. About 5 minutes later the biggest DYKWIA gets on the flight and sees there is no more F space left. He started throwing the biggest fit ever. First he opens all the closed bins and jams bags around looking for enough space to put his large rollerboard in. When that was fruitless he started beating other people's bags. I kid you not. He was cussing under his breath and beating our bags. He worked up quite a sweat before the FA took his bag to Y.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Great story ... I recently had a PAX who did the same after landing - wanted to pass but because they had no bags. Yet no one was going any where as the doors were not open and the next stop was immigration.

Regarding bag in front PAX in back. Having been the recipient of someone who put their bag in the overhead bin taking the last spot in the general proximity then walking to the back where there was plenty of space I can say it is rude plain and simple.

In my case I pointed it out to the FA who did nothing. However, another PAX cheerfully did a bit of maneuvering of their bags to fit mine in. I thanked the PAX and left a nice note for the rude PAX.

However, I see more and more these rude antics and I will be honest I have no issue with moving such a bag further to the back of the plane. Had the other PAX not helped out I would have taken the bag in question out and placed it another bin further to the back of the plane. Especially given it was in the first few rows of Y where there if often little space because of bulkheads/first aid/FA Manuals/etc.

However, there is fine line in doing so - early/middle in the boarding process and I see the PAX do the stow in front and walk to the back. If I am late boarding then caveat-emptor.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jun 14, 2013 at 10:58 pm
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
However, I see more and more these rude antics and I will be honest I have no issue with moving such a bag further to the back of the plane. Had the other PAX not helped out I would have taken the bag in question out and placed it another bin further to the back of the plane.
If you did that, I would not hesitate to exclaim "hey, that guy is taking my bag somewhere!" in a loud voice. If it were an international flight, I would also demand that the flight attendant get the passenger's information, so that I could provide it to customs when asked if anyone else has handled my luggage. When you think about it, it would be very easy to slip something in someone's bag, have them go through customs with it, and then steal it back.

Putting your bag in the front for your own convenience is most certainly rude and selfish, but it is not a violation of law or any airline policies. It does not justify vigilante justice on the part of other passengers. It is similar to jumping into the aisle and trying to exit before it is your row's turn. It's rude and arrogant, but some people are rude and arrogant. Not every jerk you come across requires an intervention.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by User Name

So when people comply with the FA's announcement that to expedite boarding you should put your bag in the first available space, they are a "moron" and "clueless?" And you claim for yourself the duty to teach them a lesson?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.