Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Final scheduled DC-10 flight in the world?

Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

According to airlineroute.net, Biman Bangladesh is the last carrier to operate the DC-10 on scheduled service, and the final flight will be 12/01.

They run it on various AUH, DXB, MCT, HKG, and KUL routes.

I have never flown this aircraft. I see one-way fares from DXB for $238, but unfortunately this appears to be a one-class aircraft. I thought it might be fun to try, but no thanks!

Actually, they run it on some domestic services CGP-DAC, so might not be so bad to try.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mecabq
According to airlineroute.net, Biman Bangladesh is the last carrier to operate the DC-10 on scheduled service, and the final flight will be 12/01.

They run it on various AUH, DXB, MCT, HKG, and KUL routes.

I have never flown this aircraft. I see one-way fares from DXB for $238, but unfortunately this appears to be a one-class aircraft. I thought it might be fun to try, but no thanks!

Actually, they run it on some domestic services CGP-DAC, so might not be so bad to try.

Just a warning, Biman is a terrible airline. Don't take them for a long haul, the CGP-DAC run isn't too bad, but expect terrible delays and bad service (though on a short flight the service doesn't matter). However, trying a DC10 would be interesting!

Last edited by dinoscool3; Jul 5, 2013 at 6:04 am
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
DETA Air has a couple. Fancy a trip to Kazakhstan?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Aren't there still a bunch of these things running around for cargo carriers? Maybe a combi setup somewhere?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:21 pm

I believe there are still some DC-10s used for military passenger charter flights (Omni or World?)... (not to mention all the cargo DC10 operators).

As far as scheduled commercial passenger service, this is the last one.

Would love to take this last flight..... hmmm....

The KLM MD-11 will be retired pretty soon as well.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So I gotta wonder... On a flight like this, last for a type or even last for a type for a major airline, does the gate area fill with aviation enthusiasts from around the world?

Or is it just like 6 hardcore plane nerds sharing a common "I know why you're here" nod alongside 300 normal everyday passengers flying their regular Bangladesh segment?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by pinniped
So I gotta wonder... On a flight like this, last for a type or even last for a type for a major airline, does the gate area fill with aviation enthusiasts from around the world?

Or is it just like 6 hardcore plane nerds sharing a common "I know why you're here" nod alongside 300 normal everyday passengers flying their regular Bangladesh segment?
In my limited experience of these matters its the latter
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
Originally Posted by pinniped

In my limited experience of these matters its the latter
Yup.

I've booked my seat on the flight as well as positioning flights.

http://blog.wandr.me/2013/07/buildin...it-of-purpose/

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 5, 2013 at 10:10 am
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by mecabq
I flew a single class DC-10 LAX-AMS on MartinAir in 1982 with my family for a summer vacation. You'll be fine if you miss the experience.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I seem to remember reading that FedEx operates the largest DC-10 fleet.

Ah - yes, 64 DC-10s and 63 MD-11s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Express#Fleet
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Just a warning, Biman is a terrible airline. Don't take them for a long haul, the CGP-DAC run isn't too bad, but expect terrible delays and bad service (though on a shirt flight the service doesn't matter). However, trying a DC10 would be interesting!
Nothing to add, except that I love the typo. Would a "non-shirt" flight be sarongs??
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:06 am

I miss the DC-10, used to fly it regularly on AA, DFW-SAN back in the day. Seemed sort of majestic with the full meal service and all. Then AA replaced it on the route with the 757, then the MD80, and who knows what now. Just glad I don't have to travel heavily in the US anymore. I would opt for a different career if faced with all those regional jets.

Homer nods: Looks like AA still flies the 757 and MD80 on that route. Guess some things really don't ever change.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Memories of flying DAC - KTM on the DC10. Lively landing.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Missed them big wide-bodies on the good old Friendly Skies - UA in the 80's and early 90's, mostly JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA and IAD-LAX/SFO/SEA and LAX/SFO-HNL runs. When loads were light on the red-eyes, we've able to stretch out across the row in Y, grab a couple of pillows & blankets and do some z's instead of sitting in old J. Ah, yes - on daylight ones, full meal services (with a printed menu for all classes) plus a snack/cold one pre-arrival, and hot/wet towels even in Y. Used to do lot more TPAC and it was nice transition/downsizing from the 747's. Then, the 767's were put into service (Ocean to Ocean was UA's buzz word then, I vaguely recalled - Friendship Service, later on ?) to cope with rising jet fuel prices - stepping down further to the narrow bodies 757's and A320's - times have surely changed.

Now, we are squeezed into a CRJ for non-shuttle flights that last as much as 3.5 or 4 hours (longer if you count the bucked-up delays after push-back and tarmac delays due to ATC or WX ...) Unthinkable in those days for a 737 birds to fly coast-to-coast on a paid box meal deal.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jul 5, 2013 at 10:46 am
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Missed them big wide-bodies on the good old Friendly Skies...
It was not that long ago (15 years or so) that Northwest flew at least 6 to 8 DC10s daily from SEA to MSP/DTW/MEM. 34 F cabin seats, upgrades were easy, flights were roomy and comfortable. Now NW, the DC10, and the upgrades are all gone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.