Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corporate Flight Policies for Employees Booking Business/First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
Economy all the way, expect if a client is willing to pay for it, than added into contracts.
Currently the only client that pays is a state owned TV station in China, so trips from NA to PEK are all in J.

Few years ago (before my time), if you left North America you could do business, but never first. Cost cutting measures, and sinking stock prices there have been cuts.

Does anyone else have meal allowances? $15 for breakfast, $20 for lunch, $30 for dinner if alone, tax, tip not included. No limits if you are with clients or in NYC.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:22 am

Here is a perspective from another part of the world. I work in a senior position for a large India based organization. Anything over 8 hrs is J but only for corporate pay grades. Everybody else flies Y.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
US based here, and our 6+ transoceanic flights are in J. F is only authorized on a domestic segment of an transoceanic flight with no J cabin. Lowest fare, of course, although lowest appears to be subjective somehow.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I work for a consultancy, and for us it's Y under 1,600 miles and J above that. Used be a four-hour cutoff but that got gamed. Also for non-chargeable travel over 1,600 miles, Y+ is "encouraged".

As for choosing airline and time, staff members are permitted to use their professional judgment, but the lowest offered fare for your journey (within 3 hours either way) is printed on your itinerary and occasionally people get pulled up and asked to explain a choice.

As for miles, a don't ask, don't tell policy applies.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Interesting to see how for many people, it's about rules and procedures rather than value.

I think that tendency increases with the size of the organisation and ability to charge to clients.

Yes I know there is value on arriving rested and well, having been able to work on the plane. But believe me, if you're in a small business trying to get cash flow going, you'll fly Y from Hammerfest to Hobart if that's what it takes, and all the amenities of J class don't seem so important.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
All travel within Australia is Economy. Overseas travel is in Business class so you are ready to work as soon as you arrive.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
One more thing!

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
All travel within Australia is Economy. Overseas travel is in Business class so you are ready to work as soon as you arrive.

Forgot to say.... Australian Government position.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:23 am

Kinda confirms the popular stereotype of public servants, Annalisa12
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Can you expense Qantas Club access? Our Australian staff can.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 4:46 am

I'd see QC access as a relatively cost-effective benefit, if they fly frequently.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:43 am

Large energy multinational. Anything over six hours is business.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
North American based resource company with operations in Europe, Asia and Africa. Any flight with a segment over 5 hours is business.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: BA, VS, FB LH
Self-employed but T&C state 6+ hours in J. No-one has ever queried it, and it allows me some discretion. I did a job for a large NGO and did LHR-NBO in Y when the partner for a global consultancy also on the job insisted on J.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
Fortune 500 IT Company

The system finds cheapest flight with least connections in economy and business, and we are given an allowance, somewhere in middle.
If you are under the allowance, the credit gets saved for your future business trips.

With this system, many people fly premium economy, or business one way.

And of course, you can torture yourself with extra stops, hidden city or whatever you want to endure, if it helps you stay under allowance. That's what I do, and enables me to fly in J most of the time.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:08 am

After a decade and a half in the F500 world, I now work for a much smaller, venture-backed company. We really don't have any policies insofar as class of service, but as my bonus is directly linked to my budget, I'm pretty vigilant about booking Y, unless a cheap A fare pops up, which they do from time to time. Fortunately, all of my flights are short now, 6 hours max, so it doesn't matter as much as when I was consistently shuttling to BNE or LHR in years past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.