Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worried about turbulence

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Worried about turbulence

Hi guys. So I flew from NYC to Ireland on May 13th, and the flight was very bumpy. I don't think the "fasten seatbelt" sign came off at all, and the flight attendants suspended meal service for the majority of the flight. I was terrified. Well, this saturday (May 25th), I'll be returning to the States on a 9:20 flight from Dublin to Atlanta. I've tried to use the turbulence forecaster website to see what's in store, but I can't figure it out. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Why were you terrified? Although turbulence can make for a bumpy ride, it's very common, and not usually dangerous.

Are you prepared to miss your return flight back to the U.S. if someone predicts a turbulent flight?
Old May 23, 2013, 11:37 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, ashleyusm2014. Please follow this thread in the Travel Technology Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 23, 2013, 11:38 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
One of the best analogies I've heard about turbulence: Turbulence is to pilots what potholes/bumpy roads are to drivers.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ashleyusm2014
Hi guys. So I flew from NYC to Ireland on May 13th, and the flight was very bumpy. I don't think the "fasten seatbelt" sign came off at all, and the flight attendants suspended meal service for the majority of the flight. I was terrified. Well, this saturday (May 25th), I'll be returning to the States on a 9:20 flight from Dublin to Atlanta. I've tried to use the turbulence forecaster website to see what's in store, but I can't figure it out. Any help would be very much appreciated.
The bad news: Inflight turbulence has been increasing because of global warming, so don't expect things to get better over the long run. And of course there is no way to predict how much turbulence you will encounter on a specific flight.

The good news: The probability of a commercial airliner crashing because of turbulence, absent other factors, is near zero. Just think of it as a car going over a bumpy road.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashleyusm2014
Ambien.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:37 pm

Hi ashleyusm2014,

I get pretty nervous during turbulence too, and even though I know it's mostly harmless, it can certainly be unnerving! A great thing I heard a pilot once say is that during turbulence, even pretty heavy turbulence, look at your cup of water etc. on your tray table. It's probably moving a little, but it's not falling off the table, right? You'd think it would, based on the intensity of the bumps, but it still doesn't. Basically he was saying that our natural fear over the bumpiness is heightening our sensitivity to it and that even when we feel a hefty bump, it's not a very big deal at all.

The other thing I would do is get some peaceful music and some noise-cancelling headphones. If it starts to get crazy, close your eyes and just try to sink into the music.

One last piece of advice is try to get a seat in the middle of the plane, where it is most stable because of the position of the wings.

Good luck!!
Old May 23, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since this discussion is really about anxiety over turbulence than any particular tool for predicting it (does such a thing exist?) I'll move it over to TravelBuzz.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! Turbulence can be startling but is almost never dangerous in the context of airline flights.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:52 pm

Keep your seat belt fastened and relax.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by vasantn
The bad news: Inflight turbulence has been increasing because of global warming
Huh?

You been listening to Gore again?
Old May 23, 2013, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Huh?

LoL!
Old May 23, 2013, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Huh?

It's a fact that deniers continue to deny.

http://rt.com/news/climate-change-ai...satlantic-541/
Old May 23, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I often find air turbulence to be the worst over big masses of water, whether it be over the Atlantic or Pacific. I will look at my glass of water (or other beverage) to see if it is spilling over and if it is about to, I will try and finish drinking it so it won't create a mess over my lap. Otherwise I try to recline my seat back and just try to relax the best as I can as I know eventually it will pass, although even 5 minutes of heavy turbulence can seem like forever.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Ambien.
+1

But seriously, turbulence is nothing to worry about. It's pretty common, and sometimes it can induce nervousness. I've experienced horrible turbulence over the Atlantic. While it's uncomfortable, it's nothing to worry about. In fact, I'm more worried about the nascent global warming argument in this thread than I am about turbulence. It is highly unlikely that turbulence will bring down a 767 booking it across the Atlantic. It's more concerning that your beverage will spill on your laptop or clothing; just make sure that your beverages aren't overfilled. Watch the movie and don't pay too much mind to it.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
[SIZE=1]

Why were you terrified? Although turbulence can make for a bumpy ride, it's very common, and not usually dangerous.
Just one caveat on that: turbulence is very common and not dangerous at all to the aircraft or to anybody onboard who is strapped in.

Severe turbulence is extremely dangerous to unsecured people on an airplane. And the severe variety isn't as unlikely as most people think. The NTSB of the USA publishes monthly accident reports online, and it's a rare month where one or more flight attendants and/or passengers on a commercial airplane aren't injured during a turbulence event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.