Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Old May 20, 2013, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by FXWizard
It's not a horror story, but this was my most recent experience with a seat change request.
So it doesn't belong in a thread looking for "Horror Stories" and is just a plug for your blog?
Old May 20, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Several years ago, I was happily sitting in my bulkhead window. Plenty of legroom and I'm settled in with my Kindle for a 3 or so hour flight. Just before they close the door, the FAs come up and tell the three of us that they need to reseat us to accommodate a family. They hand the guy on the aisle a ticket for the middle window in the bulkhead row on the other side, they give me a ticket for the middle seat in an exit row, and they give the woman in the middle a seat on the aisle near the back of the plane.

We all start to move and the woman who was in the middle starts to freak out. She had already told me that she doesn't fly that often and now starts to panic since she says she can't sit in the back because she's claustrophobic. The FAs can see a full fledged panic attack coming on and are trying to talk her down. Since I just want to get home, I tell them I'll take the seat in the back and head to the second row from the back. She calms down since she'll still be near the front of the plane.

Good news for me - the lead FA was grateful and gave me a couple of free minis of wine when he came through with beverage service.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:17 am
Suspended

BA PHX-LHR in Y. I was sitting in aisle seat and my sister asked to swap so I did without really questioning it. The seat in front of me was broken and reclined more than it should so whenver the guy in front reclined the seat would come right up near my face. The guy in front kept turning telling me to 'knock it off' and stop 'whacking his seat' I told him I wasnt. Half way through the flight he got up and shouted at me and called me a 'cretin' and a host of other words. I just smiled and laughed at him which seemed to anger him even more. Nevertheless I didnt enjoy the experience and he was such an idiot. He knew his seat was broken but still tried to blame me for it.

I blame him for being such a twat and I blame BA for not fixing their phony seats. Also I will never ever swap seats with my sister again as she didnt back me up and just pretended to be asleep for all my encounters with the idiot man. She is always the lucky one and I am always the unlucky one.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
BA PHX-LHR in Y. I was sitting in aisle seat and my sister asked to swap so I did without really questioning it. The seat in front of me was broken and reclined more than it should so whenver the guy in front reclined the seat would come right up near my face. The guy in front kept turning telling me to 'knock it off' and stop 'whacking his seat' I told him I wasnt. Half way through the flight he got up and shouted at me and called me a 'cretin' and a host of other words. I just smiled and laughed at him which seemed to anger him even more. Nevertheless I didnt enjoy the experience and he was such an idiot. He knew his seat was broken but still tried to blame me for it.

I blame him for being such a twat and I blame BA for not fixing their phony seats. Also I will never ever swap seats with my sister again as she didnt back me up and just pretended to be asleep for all my encounters with the idiot man. She is always the lucky one and I am always the unlucky one.
^^ for using the word "twat"...I rarely hear it used.

If I was in your place, I would probably have told him off. I can usually take about 5 seconds of someone screaming at me before I lose it...That is...If I'm in the right.If I'm wrong then I shut up and accept what's coming my way.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:39 am

Perhaps a bit off-topic but tw** is much less offensive in the UK than in the US. Rough US translation is 'jerk'.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Not everyone considers the last row of F to be the worst row of F. I'd take the last row in a heartbeat over the bulkhead any day.
+1

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
Point well made. But I do think everyone considers the last row of coach to be the worst row of 2nd.
Also +1 but I'd still take it over the bulkhead.

Originally Posted by jatink129
On a LHR-JFK flight,as I boarded the plane,I came across a gentleman sitting in my aisle seat. (Coach...way before I'd heard of FlyerTalk).
I explained to him that he was in my seat and he tried explaining to me in broken English (with a Russian accent) that he wanted to sit next to his wife and his seat was in the next row.

Having lived in Russia for 6 years, I speak fluent russian and told him in russian that it wasn't a big deal and I'd be glad to switch seats.

The lady in the next row overheard us talking and says to her neighbor in an audible whisper, "Oh my God what are they talking about in that strange language?" I looked at her and she rolled her eyes in apparent disgust (!?)
Normally I could care less, because I've dealt with a lot of racism in my time in Russia but the whole eye roll just got under my skin.

Turns out that the seat I was being offered to switch for was also an aisle seat and it was all good.
I take my seat and a few minutes later she taps my shoulder and asks me in a voice dripping with honey, if I'd be "so kind" to switch seats with her, because she likes sitting in the aisle seat.

Needless to say, I refused.
I'm confused...how is this racism? Aren't Russians white? Or is this reverse racism?
Old May 23, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunnyjl
I'm confused...how is this racism? Aren't Russians white? Or is this reverse racism?
Racism is not just about skin colour!
Old May 23, 2013, 5:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
Racism is not just about skin colour!
Its nothing to do with nationality either though.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[Deleted]

Last edited by Calchas; May 23, 2013 at 6:18 am Reason: Thought better of continuing this hair splitting
Old May 23, 2013, 6:59 pm

never swap again

Last year I was sitting in first class in a window seat in like 5A. A man say next to me and asked if I would swap with his daughter who was in a window in bulkhead. I do not like bulkhead seats due to the limited legroom. He seemed genuine so I agreed. When I got to the seat up front the guy next to me said he offered his seat to the Dad so he could sit with his daughter but he declined. This pissed me off. So apparently the guy wanted to sit next to his daughter but NOT in bulkhead. When we left the plane I told the guy that what he did was very sneaky. Never again will I fall for that.
Old May 24, 2013, 3:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jatink129
^^ for using the word "twat"...I rarely hear it used.
Thanks its not every day I get such appreciation for using the word 'Twat'. I think its a great word and was not aware that it was more offensive in the US than it is here in the UK.
Old May 24, 2013, 3:41 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
It has occured to me, that anyone asking for a swap has a lesser seat then mine!
There have been enough attempted scams, that I just decline to keep my innner peace on the flight!
Old May 24, 2013, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by sunnyjl

Errr...Sorry.
I'm not Russian. And I'm not white.
I'm Indian.
And Russia (especially St.Petersburg) has a lot of skinheads and other racist folk.
Old May 24, 2013, 6:49 am

Thanks its not every day I get such appreciation for using the word 'Twat'. I think its a great word and was not aware that it was more offensive in the US than it is here in the UK.
^^ You're welcome. The only time I hear it now is when my dearest girlfriend (living in Leicester) calls me that, when she's extremely mad at me.
The fact that I start laughing when she calls me that, doesn't help my case any.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, SWA, Starwood, HiltonHonors, Marriott, Accor
In the US, it is a vulgar term for female private parts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.