Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by weero
At the risk of OMNI-PRing my response ... this is not how I treat my spouse of course. This is how I perceive that many females these days treat their husbands. And my encouraging them to do so was of course sarcastic.
I absolutely refuse to fly Coach. Business 20% of the time, First the rest of the time. All International.

My wife is Thai and fairly tiny (just over 5') (although not as tiny as she was when we got married 20 years ago ). So she fits in Coach just fine. Last year she asked me to buy her a Coach ticket when we flew to Thailand. She wanted the difference in the price of the ticket for some jewelry. I said OK. Very, very last time. Even though it was her idea and she was happy with it, it just felt wrong for me to be sitting in First while she was in Coach.

Next trip she got First *and* the jewelry. I think I've been had.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Calchas
This is how you treat your spouse?
At the risk of OMNI-PRing my response ... this is not how I treat my spouse of course. This is how I perceive that many females these days treat their husbands. And my encouraging them to do so was of course sarcastic.
That would be TOTALLY how I would treat my wife ... in my dreams If we're flying together that means we're either going for a holiday (which means I'll be with her 24/7 for the next two weeks), or coming back from a holiday (I was with her 24/7 for the past two weeks). So surely she can stand being away from me for less than a day so that I can enjoy my F seat
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I absolutely refuse to fly Coach. Business 20% of the time, First the rest of the time. All International...
Lucky you.

I scaled back on both premium tickets and frequency of trips. But for work, I try to get Premium Economy fares if permitted. My wife always pushes for coach when we travel as she perceives it a waste of money to even buy upgradable fares. As I can then encroach on her seat that is fine with me ...
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Lucky you.

I scaled back on both premium tickets and frequency of trips. But for work, I try to get Premium Economy fares if permitted. My wife always pushes for coach when we travel as she perceives it a waste of money to even buy upgradable fares. As I can then encroach on her seat that is fine with me ...
Careful. This is a family oriented forum.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:59 am

No I meant it innocently .... as in comparison to her I am a Blimp / Mongolfiera ...
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Good point. It's against the rules of some airlines too. SQ might arrange for you to be caned upon arrival since it's well known that they forbid certain activities in even their double bedded FC suites.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Good point. It's against the rules of some airlines too. SQ might arrange for you to be caned upon arrival since it's well known that they forbid certain activities in even their double bedded FC suites.
Good grief good people !

What are you guys reading between the linen?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
^^

Good grief good people !

What are you guys reading between the linen?
It's a sickness you get when you occasionally wander into OMNI.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:00 pm

..It's a sickness you get when you occasionally wander into OMNI.
You are right.I try avoid this when possible.

Modern coach seas, even on 2-4-2 Dreamliners are so narrow that my shoulders do not entirely fit in the envelop of the stool. So there is now a whole range of planes and configurations I entirely avoid.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are right.I try avoid this when possible.

Modern coach seas, even on 2-4-2 Dreamliners are so narrow that my shoulders do not entirely fit in the envelop of the stool. So there is now a whole range of planes and configurations I entirely avoid.
Oh, there's an opportunity there. Such an opportunity. I want to say it. I need to say. The mods will bomb me if I do. Aaaaaaaaaagh.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:46 am

Oh, there's an opportunity there. Such an opportunity. I want to say it. I need to say. The mods will bomb me if I do. Aaaaaaaaaagh.
Life can be so rough .....

But then you don't fly coach and I guess that makes up for that.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:37 am

Life can be so rough .....

But then you don't fly coach and I guess that makes up for that.
OK. But does he fly Economy?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:49 pm

Not a horror story, more like a confession:

I flew LHR-AUH in the new EY Apartments back in December. I purposely picked 4A, the only row in the cabin by the windows that faces forward (and has 3 windows to boot.)

3A settles down, and her husband is seated in 1H (a rear facing, aisle seat by the lavatories). She asks if I am willing to swap and I politely decline. I guess she asked the cabin crew to nudge me a little as the purser also asked me if I would switch. I decline on the basis that I would feel uncomfortable sitting backwards.

Eventually they got 2H to swap for 3A and all was good.

I felt guilty at the end of the exchange. I suspect that my service suffered for not swapping - I was mostly ignored during the meal service, never got refills and my meal took way longer to finish than the rest of the cabin.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by tng11
I felt guilty at the end of the exchange.
Not really something worth feeling guilty for.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For refills, did you use your call button? Similarly, hit the call button if you want your empty dishes to be removed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.