Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airport Parking Lost My keys - What to do?

Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP lite, Hertz 5*G, Nat'l Exec

Dear all, I hope this is in the correct forum (Mods-if not, feel free to move). Long story short, the title says it all. I went away for a quick day trip leaving one night and coming back the next afternoon. I used the Valet airport parking (something I almost never do) and when I returned, the Valet staff spent over an hour looking for my car key.
In the end I took a cab home and returned later with my spare key to retrieve my car.
Any advice about the best course of action to take up with them?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:35 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

They have to pay for the cab and for the cost of the replacement key. At the least.

Sorry to hear that. I hope there is nothing devious here, like someone stealing the key, now that they know the car.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by planes&trains
They have to pay for the cab and for the cost of the replacement key. At the least.
Agreed that is what they should do.

I wouldn't be amazed if they tried to hide behind some kind of 'we are not responsible no matter what . . .' disclaimer on the valet ticket, however.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:30 pm

Should he call the police or something? What kind of keys were on it? Hope just your car keys and nothing else.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If your house key disappeared, would you just let it go, or would you rekey your house? Same thing applies to the car. Although, depending on the car, it can cost $300-3000 to do the same.

Many newer cars have transponder keys, remote headed keys, that can easily cost $100-$500 each. Some even require you to have two keys to make a duplicate.

What kind of car?
Old May 1, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If your house key disappeared, would you just let it go, or would you rekey your house? Same thing applies to the car. Although, depending on the car, it can cost $300-3000 to do the same.
Personally, I think in this type of case, I would definitely have the house key redone (if the key was on the chain, but I wouldn't leave a house key with valet anyways). After all, you've basically left your house key with a company that now can't account for it, but had access to your car, and presumably your car's registration with address on it. I'd probably try to get them to pay for that too, although it's probably not going to be as easy to get them to do, since they'll just point out that one shouldn't leave their house key with the car key when you valet.

The car key and the cab ride? I'd definitely be trying to get them to cover. It may take suing them in small claims court to get anywhere unfortunately, but even if they have a not responsible for damage claim, I would think you have a fair case. Not responsible for damage is one thing, not keeping track of the keys to the car is just plain negligence.
Old May 2, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
When people use valets, do they normally leave all their keys? While I don't often use valets, I keep my car key and fob on a clip in case I need to remove it for a valet, or if my wife and I have switched cars (I don't like carrying both), or if I am biking or going somewhere where I don't need the car key to avoid bulk.

If I leave my keys with the valet, it's just for that one car.

--

As for the original question, there are almost certainly "limit of liability" language in the parking contract, but as a customer service matter it is not unreasonable to ask them to pay the replacement cost of the keys and and the round-trip taxi cost (or at least the difference between that and the parking bill, if they -- as they ought to have -- comped the parking.)
Old May 2, 2013, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it's one of those electronic ignition systems, rekeying can easily cost $1,500. And, it's something you need to have done because someone out there has a key and knows which vehicle it belongs to. No insurance will cover a theft if you knew about the missing key and didn't take action.

Start with the "limited liability" language. But, then push hard.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:41 pm

And your source for that sweeping statement is?

Originally Posted by Often1
No insurance will cover a theft if you knew about the missing key and didn't take action.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
And your source for that sweeping statement is?
Read any policy. You always have an affirmative obligation to take measures to prevent whatever the insured event is.

Look around the country and you will see that it's the most often cited reason in controversies large and small relating to the denial of coverage.

If you can find a theft policy which doesn't require that, please post a link as I suspect may would love to switch to it.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Judge Millian calls it "mitigating your damages".
Old May 3, 2013, 8:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If it's one of those electronic ignitions that cost $1,500 to rekey (please, give us an example of which one that is) the dealer can usually pretty easily disable any lost keys through programming. Takes a few minutes and doesn't cost any where near $1,500. With many cars you can also disable a key through the menus.

As to the insurance issue, I seriously doubt that's even remotely true.

Keys can also be cloned through the VIN number and on some through the OBC port, will insurance also not cover any theft using those methods?
Old May 3, 2013, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP lite, Hertz 5*G, Nat'l Exec
Update - I was contacted by the parking lot's 3rd party insurer who asked me to fax them an estimate for the replacement of the valet key. (It was the only key on the ring).
The key was only for the ignition and did not have a remote like my regular keys do but since there is still a chip embedded the dealer gave me a quote of $350.
This has been quite a hassle (especially since I almost never use the valet) but I guess lesson learned.
I wonder if there are additional steps I have to take vis a vis my car insurance as the dealership's service manager didn't seem to know anything about disabling the lost key - I will have to look into that.
Old May 3, 2013, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UALAX
Update - I was contacted by the parking lot's 3rd party insurer who asked me to fax them an estimate for the replacement of the valet key. (It was the only key on the ring).
The key was only for the ignition and did not have a remote like my regular keys do but since there is still a chip embedded the dealer gave me a quote of $350.
This has been quite a hassle (especially since I almost never use the valet) but I guess lesson learned.
I wonder if there are additional steps I have to take vis a vis my car insurance as the dealership's service manager didn't seem to know anything about disabling the lost key - I will have to look into that.
There may not be a need to disable the lost key. On my Mazda the computer only allows for two standard ignition keys to be available. Anything prior won't start it.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by cordelli
If it's one of those electronic ignitions that cost $1,500 to rekey (please, give us an example of which one that is) the dealer can usually pretty easily disable any lost keys through programming. Takes a few minutes and doesn't cost any where near $1,500. With many cars you can also disable a key through the menus.

As to the insurance issue, I seriously doubt that's even remotely true.

Keys can also be cloned through the VIN number and on some through the OBC port, will insurance also not cover any theft using those methods?
Many dealers will replace the computer and locks for a vehicle. Although not recently, I had a Toyota dealer quote $3000 to do this, parts and labor.

And a key made by VIN is not a clone. A clone would be where you take an operating key, and copy the transponder codes onto a key. Most also would require the mechanical key to be cut, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.