Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was the weirdest thing you took aboard as a carry-on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was the weirdest thing you took aboard as a carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
YC'S Mongolian BBQ. It's in Tempe, AZ and I really like it, especially the next day as cold leftovers. So I went for lunch, ate half, wrapped up the rest in a to-go container with a bunch of plastic bags and put it in my bag praying it wouldn't spill all over my clothes.

Got it back to NC, refrigerated it for a while and it was delicious! ^
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:53 am

In 1984, I was given a bottle of champagne in a case that looked just like a miniature violin case. People in the airport and on the plane were fascinated by it and it was asked to open it on multiple occasions.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
FA's Share "The Weirdest Thing You've Seen a Passenger Try to Bring Onto a Flight?"
This is also a very funny thread if you want a good laugh. ( in TravelBuzz).

The oddest thing I managed to carry on was a wooden bird cage about 12" circumference and 14" high). Securely bubble wrapped and thankfully, a kindly FA stowed it in a closet for me.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
My carry on is very boring compared to this lot.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:02 am

Those $115 Japanese electric water pot. My grandma wanted a rice cooker but the only overseas versions were $400 dollars so that was a no no.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:03 am
TTM

About $20,000 worth of specialty camera gear through India

edit:
Also, about 6lbs of frozen Filipino food full of meat and animal bones. I bet that looked funny in the x-ray. But the Filipino security guard was thrilled to hear about my kare-kare and diniguan!

Last edited by TTM; Dec 18, 2014 at 3:12 am
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I shall replace my previous offering with model railway wagons. Not that odd but the guy who was looking as the baggage xrays was mystified by them (luckily this was at Munich so he looked in the tray rather than pressing the panic button).

Edit to add: I've also carried on a rock. It was previously the highest point in Portugal - sorry Portugal you're 4 inches lower than you used to be.

Last edited by exilencfc; Dec 18, 2014 at 5:27 am
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
A woven basket of fresh apricots given to me in the context of my work in Yerevan, Armenia. The rather large basket traveled in C class on Austrian - Yerevan - Vienna - Rome (with not a peep from any crew or authorities).

The apricots were wonderful, by the way...
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A big metal waffle iron, the kind that makes thin waffles that divide into 4 square quarters. I carried two big metal boxes of slides (the photographic kind) on the same flight. They went through x-ray and nobody blinked (this was way pre-9/11).

I knew a guy who carried a bicycle frame in a suit bag (in the mid 90's) so he wouldn't have to pay the bike fee. He put the parts in his checked bag, and I think he might have borrowed wheels at his destination.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:21 am
Suspended

Green tea kit kats and a bottle of Awamori. Customs couldn't figure out if it was classified as a spirit or wine. Eventually they realized I was under the limit for either and waved me through.

The "green tea kit kats - $5" on the form also got an eyebrow raise.

(I was coming back from Tokyo and jet lagged to hell which didn't help)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
not "the kitchen sink" but a Talavera bathroom sink from Mexico.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
In 1972 in First Class on a Trans Caribbean Airways DC-8-50 from San Juan to Newark, a gentlemen sat next to me with an EJ Korvettes shopping bag with a dead chicken hanging over the side!

Some things you never forget!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Not quite a carry-on, but...

When I first moved to Jakarta in 2008, I was craving US-brand peanut butter. I didn't know where to look, so a trip to Singapore came in handy.

Of course, peanut butter was a no-go through security, so I asked Garuda staff to find me a box to throw it in. That was my one piece of checked luggage.

The dang jar never showed up at CGK.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:19 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Handgun ammunition. Totally by accident.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not me, but many years ago a kid brought on a small portable TV set to play video games.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.