Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best airline for overweight passengers? (first time flyer)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best airline for overweight passengers? (first time flyer)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You should also give some thought to distance between the seats (front/back), that is. I was recently on a flight with a very large man and he sat in my row. I presume he purchased two seats. He wasn't using more than 30-40% of the second seat. However, he had a heck of a time getting into the row.

If you're also very tall, just something else to consider where first class or front of the cabin might work better (assuming seats are wide enough).
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
As a person with a disability, I have to question how you were able to buy a handicapped seat (and if it is ethically correct) when you don't meet the legal (or moral) criteria, as the poster above stated, of being handicapped? Not to belittle your situation or cast any sort of aspersions. My question merely comes from, if people of size are now able to claim seats and facilities designated as handicapped, where does that leave those of us who have medical disabilities that we have no option of overcoming? If all the handicapped seats in that NBA arena were taken by persons of size, then truly "handicapped" people would never be able to attend games. And it's not a matter of using them until they are needed by a true person with a disability - if it is a pre-sold seat in an arena, then that seat is now unavailable for me to buy. I don't have the luxury of squeezing myself into a too-small seat or even just being uncomfortable in a standard seat for the duration. No handicapped access = no access period.

I am sure the flaming will now begin (I look forward to your emails) and, as I said, I am not judging or belittling in any way. I am just saying that handicapped seats are meant for those with medical handicaps, not for persons of size based on size alone, absent any other medical disabilities. If businesses start allowing handicapped facilities to be claimed purely on the basis of size (height as well as weight - size is size), then those of us who are physically unable to fly, sit, move about without these facililities will no longer be able to do these things because of the increasing numbers of plus sized individuals. These facilities are meant for persons with disabilities, not for those whose size makes it less comfortable for them using the 'standard' facility. Maybe they aren't going to make you give up that handicapped seat if I came along as you said, but you are keeping those persons with true disabilities from even attending that event. If buying 2 seats would magically fix me, where do I sign up?
You can certainly express your dissatisfaction with the following facilities that allowed me to do that with no hesitation:

Alamodome
American Airlines Center
Madison Square Garden
Reliant Stadium
Cowboys Stadium
United Center
Staples Center
US Airways Arena
Whatever El Paso's arena is called
Sprint Center

I never stated I was handicapped - just simply I am uncomfortable in normal seats and was recommended to talk to the box office - and they accommodated me.

I'm sure they would all appreciate hearing your viewpoint as well. Not 1 arena has told me I shouldn't do that or I am abusing any sort of issue.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but I googled, and according to this:

http://www.diversityinc.com/diversit...ity-says-eeoc/

Maybe that's why...
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
No flaming from me. I agree completely.
Regardless of agreeing - I would hope no flaming would be necessary for either side of the issue. I hope we can have a respectful and cogent discussion of both sides as a learning experience.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by horseymen
Regardless of agreeing - I would hope no flaming would be necessary for either side of the issue. I hope we can have a respectful and cogent discussion of both sides as a learning experience.
Yes. In fact I am rather stunned at how civil this thread has been, pleasantly stunned I should add, given other threads on this general topic.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
You can certainly express your dissatisfaction with the following facilities that allowed me to do that with no hesitation:

Alamodome
American Airlines Center
Madison Square Garden
Reliant Stadium
Cowboys Stadium
United Center
Staples Center
US Airways Arena
Whatever El Paso's arena is called
Sprint Center

I never stated I was handicapped - just simply I am uncomfortable in normal seats and was recommended to talk to the box office - and they accommodated me.

I'm sure they would all appreciate hearing your viewpoint as well. Not 1 arena has told me I shouldn't do that or I am abusing any sort of issue.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but I googled, and according to this:

http://www.diversityinc.com/diversit...ity-says-eeoc/

Maybe that's why...
My dissatisfaction is not with the facilities - I think they are trying to keep customers happy and not be accused of being un-PC, or worse, by suggesting that someone is not entitled to a handicapped seat without knowing the details. I would assume they take people at their word as far as needing a handicapped seat as not all disabilities are always apparant. I wouldn't expect a ticket office worker to challenge you if you stated you needed a handicapped seat, nor should they. There could be serious repercussions for doing so and I can't imagine anyone sticking their neck out or putting their job on the line for something they probably could care less about. Why would the box office worker care if you take a handicapped seat? No skin off his nose.

My issue is more with requesting and taking advantage of handicapped seating when one is not a person with a disability thereby preventing those who truly need those seats from buying/using them. If I were told all handicapped seats were taken for an NBA game, I would then be unable to attend that game. Unlike those who are just doing it for the extra comfort that seat affords and are not entitled, either legally or morally to it. The fact that you are just 'more comfortable' in the seat provided by law to those with disabilities and the fact that the businesses don't challenge you to prove a disability doesn't make it right.

And I too appreciate the polite exchange of ideas we have had on this thread. A refreshing change.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
My dissatisfaction is not with the facilities - I think they are trying to keep customers happy and not be accused of being un-PC, or worse, by suggesting that someone is not entitled to a handicapped seat without knowing the details. I would assume they take people at their word as far as needing a handicapped seat as not all disabilities are always apparant. I wouldn't expect a ticket office worker to challenge you if you stated you needed a handicapped seat, nor should they. There could be serious repercussions for doing so and I can't imagine anyone sticking their neck out or putting their job on the line for something they probably could care less about. Why would the box office worker care if you take a handicapped seat? No skin off his nose.

My issue is more with requesting and taking advantage of handicapped seating when one is not a person with a disability thereby preventing those who truly need those seats from buying/using them. If I were told all handicapped seats were taken for an NBA game, I would then be unable to attend that game. Unlike those who are just doing it for the extra comfort that seat affords and is not entitled, either legally or morally to it. The fact that you just 'more comfortable' in the seat provided by law to those with disabilities and the fact that the businesses don't challenge you to prove disability doesn't make it right.

And I too appreciate the polite exchange of ideas we have had on this thread. A refreshing change.
Well, with me, the issue is not necessarily 'more comfort' as a convenience. I too could not attend the NBA game if I was not given that seat - nor could you. My physical posterior would not fit in the seat and I would have to stand in that area the whole game, which would be uncomfortable and probably not pleasant to everyone around me who would have to look around me.

I understand your point; however, I do not agree - and given the legal definition appears to have changed (I am not a lawyer and I did not extensively research - there could be 50 websites saying that's incorrect) - it seems it would be legal and ethical. The moral issue is a bit more hazy as I have no doubt you would trade your disability for the relative "ease" of obesity 10 days out of the week - and anytime you're in Dallas and want to go to a basketball game, the seats are on me!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Well, with me, the issue is not necessarily 'more comfort' as a convenience. I too could not attend the NBA game if I was not given that seat - nor could you. My physical posterior would not fit in the seat and I would have to stand in that area the whole game, which would be uncomfortable and probably not pleasant to everyone around me who would have to look around me.

I understand your point; however, I do not agree - and given the legal definition appears to have changed (I am not a lawyer and I did not extensively research - there could be 50 websites saying that's incorrect) - it seems it would be legal and ethical. The moral issue is a bit more hazy as I have no doubt you would trade your disability for the relative "ease" of obesity 10 days out of the week - and anytime you're in Dallas and want to go to a basketball game, the seats are on me!
Careful, I may just take you up on that
And if you are ever in Vancouver, I welcome you to join me at a hockey game. Even better if the Stars were playing.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Yes. In fact I am rather stunned at how civil this thread has been, pleasantly stunned I should add, given other threads on this general topic.
+1 ^
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Re: OP. Oddly enough, Spirit might not be a bad option because they have the "Big front seats" at 2 to a row and might charge as low as $25 a segment to upgrade. It's not first class...just a first class-size seat with a bit more legroom and that's it.

If memory serves, AirTran also made a big deal out of business class being available on every flight and upgrades not costing a lot, but the Southwest merger will probably wipe that out.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Reasonable people can always have a civil discussion of issues on which they disagree. It seems that this thread has attracted mostly reasonable people thus far, so the discussion has stayed civil and friendly.

Originally Posted by RustyC
Re: OP. Oddly enough, Spirit might not be a bad option because they have the "Big front seats" at 2 to a row and might charge as low as $25 a segment to upgrade. It's not first class...just a first class-size seat with a bit more legroom and that's it.

If memory serves, AirTran also made a big deal out of business class being available on every flight and upgrades not costing a lot, but the Southwest merger will probably wipe that out.
Checking the flights I usually take from BWI-MCO, I find that Air Tran's coach fares vary from $127 for n/s to $153 for one-stops each way, and the Business Class fares are $388 and $399, respectively. That's a difference of $261/$246, or 305%/260%. Basically, it'd be cheaper to buy two or even three seats than to upgrade to Business Class - a far cry from the $35 I paid the last time I flew Air Tran, back in 2002, to upgrade one leg at time of check-in.

For transcons, it might be worth the extra money. For short-hauls, I'd rather buy two seats.

Of course, being a die-hard WN flier, I'll stick with buying two seats on WN, since they don't charge luggage or change fees, and get the fare from the second seat refunded.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by djk7
As mentioned upthread, you no longer have to pay for the second seat on Southwest. You also don't need to pay extra for early bird or business select, passengers needing two seats can preboard fro free.
Correct. Just walk up to the counter at the gate well before boarding starts. Say that you believe you need a second seat. Assuming the flight is not overbooked it's a done deal.

If you want protection from oversale, just buy the second seat in advance and call in for a refund after the flight. It's free after refund.

The only remaining gripe a person could have is the need to identify yourself as a person who requires a second seat. I can't imagine a workable policy which did not include that requirement.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Correct. Just walk up to the counter at the gate well before boarding starts. Say that you believe you need a second seat. Assuming the flight is not overbooked it's a done deal.

If you want protection from oversale, just buy the second seat in advance and call in for a refund after the flight. It's free after refund.

The only remaining gripe a person could have is the need to identify yourself as a person who requires a second seat. I can't imagine a workable policy which did not include that requirement.
And if the flight is overbooked, or just sold out, then it's not a done deal, and you either have to squeeze into one seat, or if that's not possible, you may be bumped from the flight.

Trying to get a second seat at time of check-in these days, at least on WN, is a crapshoot at best. Something like 80-90% of their flights are sold out (partly why they're so profitable - they don't waste jet fuel and employee salaries to move empty seats about the country).

So if you truly believe that you won't fit in one seat, according to the CoC regarding Customers of Size, you'll need a second seat. IMHO, it's best to buy it ahead of time and get the refund later, rather than risking the squish or the bump.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:34 am

stadium seats

Most stadiums I have been in have fixed armrests. So a fat person can't buy two seats and raise the armrest. However sometimes there are bench seats in part of the stadium where purchasing two seats would work out OK.

I'm glad that horseyman is trying to make it work for him, but I might feel differently if I were handicapped. But at least he isn't going in with the plan to take up part of the seat someone else has paid for, which I feel some people do with airline travel, trying to avoid a second fare and planning to flow over...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Laylla
Most stadiums I have been in have fixed armrests. So a fat person can't buy two seats and raise the armrest. However sometimes there are bench seats in part of the stadium where purchasing two seats would work out OK.

I'm glad that horseyman is trying to make it work for him, but I might feel differently if I were handicapped. But at least he isn't going in with the plan to take up part of the seat someone else has paid for, which I feel some people do with airline travel, trying to avoid a second fare and planning to flow over...
I seriously doubt that many people actually plan to overflow their seats. They simply don't give it any thought, and are shocked and dismayed when they discover that they don't fit in the seat. And they are embarassed, which is why many will become indignant and even angry when someone challenges them about overflowing the seat.

This thread has made me consider something important. While my butt and hips fit in the seat with the armrest all the way down, and I don't need a seatbelt extender, I have thought back over the flights I've taken for the last 10 years or so and realized that my shoulders have overflowed the seat on every flight. If my seatmate happens to be a small person, it works out okay; I always sit in a window seat and take the armrest by the window, leaving the other armrest to my seatmate. But on my last few flights I have been miserable leaned over into the wall to avoid overflowing my seat, and while I have been successful, I've been very uncomfortable.

I grabbed a yardstick and stood in front of the mirror, and it seems that my shoulders are about 25" wide, even with my elbows tucked in. With the elbows relaxed, they flare out to about 30" wide. Given that I always fly WN, which has a seat width of 17"... well, you can see where this is going.

So my mind is made up - I'm booking two seats for my next flight. I won't impose myself on anyone else, but there's no reason why I should make myself miserable in doing so.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: delta, northwest, southwest
concerned about seat size

When my husband and I travel, I have found that: 1) buying 3 seats for the 2 of us - giving us a side to ourselves (when there are 3 seats) is really helpful. This still doesn't help with leg room although you can do a little more stretching out sideways. 2) if you can't buy 3 seats, buy an aisle seat for both of you - especially if there are only 2 seats on one side and the plane isn't full. We find that sitting right behind each other is not a problem.

For longer international flights, there are sometimes rows that "indent" along the aisle. The aisle seat that indents effectively gives you more aisle space to stretch out in (my husband now loves that seat).

First or business class - be careful assuming an upgrade to this area will get you more room. I have found that some international business class seats are all metal along the sides on the interior of the seat space - effectively boxing you into a smaller space. I have zero idea why they would do that since they have the room to leave the sides open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.