Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please, someone explain to me the joy of flying

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Please, someone explain to me the joy of flying

I hate flying. A lot. I haven't always hated flying, but a lifetime in the air has made me learn to loathe this most modern experience.

Let me explain. I'm 32, American. I lived in Europe (Finland and the UK) for about 8 years and in Asia (South Korea) for 2. This meant flying back home around once a year on flights lasting about 12-24 hours, door to door (8-18 in the air).

Additionally, I've travelled a lot: Thailand, Japan, Central America, and just about everywhere in Europe, as well as both coasts of America, Iceland, and Hawaii. I couldn't calculate how much I've been in the air, and it's probably less than others my age in this forum, but I'd say I've flown at least once every 3 months for the past 11 years.

And now I hate flying so much. I've settled back in America and hope to keep from flying for a few years.

Don't get me wrong: I love traveling. I think I'm blessed to have been able to live in different countries and experience different cultures in a very deep, personal way. I'm also grateful to have seen Mayan ruins, Icelandic geysers, Hawaiian beaches, Roman ruins, medieval French towns, crumbling Soviet office buildings in Riga, Bangkok food vendors and bargirls, Tokyo Tower, and so on.

I also love airports and airport lounges: Incheon, Amsterdam, SFO, and Minnesota are amazing, beautiful places. JFK and LAX are not only ...... and an embarrassment, but I even love visiting them and laughing at how terrible their airports are in relation to how many people visit the cities they're connected to.

So it's not that I hate traveling--no, I hate flying. I'm not scared of flying--I know it's safer than driving. I just hate it. Bad food, cramped space, lack of things to do, inability to go to the bathroom comfortably--and having to share a tiny bathroom with a bunch of strangers who urinate on the ground. Speaking of bodily functions, the aircraft itself always smells from other people. China Eastern Air is the worst, of course--expect to hear and see Chinese men hocking up phlegm and spitting into bags throughout the flight--but even Virgin Air flights from NYC to London smell bad due to the other hairless monkeys accompanying me on the aluminum tube.

I hate flying.

Now, I know some of you will read this and think, "poor ......., he needs to fly business or first." I haven't flown first, but I've seen the pictures. I have flown business (IcelandAir), and it wasn't much better. First class doesn't look any better either--even on Emirates, you get a little pod and a recliner that goes back all the way. Woohoo. I don't care how many times a beautiful stewardess fluffs my pillow, it doesn't beat my apartment where I can walk around, sit on a couch, lay on my bed, watch t.v., read a book, or go out and have a drink at the neighborhood bar.

Of course I don't expect any of this from flying. My point is that flight, due to the limitations of space and technology, and due to the fact that human beings are disgusting, is an uncomfortable, unenjoyable experience. It is an ugly means to an end: getting from point A to point B really ....ing fast.

So my question, then, is why some people fetishize it. Why does lucky spend so much time flying from route to route--and why do people envy him for it?! Yes, I envy him for visiting all of these different places, but I sure as hell don't envy how he gets there! I know he's probably doing it to collect thousands of dollars in credit card affiliation links (that's how he affords his flights, btw--he's easily clearing six figures from that blog just from clicks to credit cards alone), but why the hell would anyone consider that "lucky"?

Please, some air travel lover, enlighten me!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:23 am

Simple: Different strokes for different folks.

(Or whatever cliche phrase you fancy)
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Flying is a respite from day to day life on a journey to somewhere new and exciting (ideally).

What's not to love?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:29 am
Original Poster

EuropeanPete: Yeah, that's kinda my point--of course being somewhere new and exciting is awesome, and I understand the anticipation on the trip to somewhere new and exciting--but that could apply to driving, a cruise, or a train ride. What is it about air travel specifically that is so great to offset the lack of space, the smells, the bad food, the horrible security (I didn't even get into that), and the constant waiting?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Simple. It got romanticized, just like cruises and train travel. I'm sure no passenger in steerage ever romanticized being on a ship but look at how many people love going on a cruise--even if they're in a cramped interior room. Train travel was easier to romanticize once there wasn't constant black smoke pumped into passenger cars. Airline travel has become the same as we've seen the introduction of suites and the like. The average air traveler doesn't think of air travel as the average FT member does.

I agree that first and foremost, air travel is just an efficient way to get someplace. From your experience, you can imagine how your trips would have been different if air travel weren't an option. Getting to the West Coast from the East in five hours or to Europe in less than eight is a luxury in itself. Some of the remaining luxury in first-class cabins (turn down service, pajamas, champagne, warm nuts, caviar) may be fluff to some and essential for others.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Like many things in life, if you can't understand it, nobody can "explain" it to you, because it's not some logical decision-making process involving a weighing of positive and negative factors. It's a purely emotional decision, one not based in logic or rational thought. It's about feelings. And while many people will list the positive aspects of air travel as a justification for their feelings, none of these things will change your feelings, because feelings are not influenced by logic or rational thought. They're feelings.

In short, if you don't like flying, that's perfectly understandable and acceptable to those of us who don't share your feelings. But we DO like it, which should be perfectly understandable and acceptable to you, even though you don't share our feelings.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by ihateflyingsomuch
EuropeanPete: Yeah, that's kinda my point--of course being somewhere new and exciting is awesome, and I understand the anticipation on the trip to somewhere new and exciting--but that could apply to driving, a cruise, or a train ride. What is it about air travel specifically that is so great to offset the lack of space, the smells, the bad food, the horrible security (I didn't even get into that), and the constant waiting?
Point A to Point B at 600mph. Also, I get to sleep the entire time. If there was another manner to travel more quickly, I would avail myself.

Granted, it's not nearly as bad as you say, except on LCCs. I fly 150 or so segs a year, and very seldom experience the magnitude of crapulence you detail.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
There is nothing inherently joyful about flying [or anything else for that matter]. Joy is an emotion or mental state. People assign the feeling of joy in inconsistent and illogical ways.

Also note that hate is an emotion, equally assigned in inconsistent and illogical ways.

The only explanation is within the individual.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I love travel. Getting there in realative comfort of J or F makes it all the better.

I understand that there are those who prefer to stay home. I certainly don't go on those folks boards and express any feelings I have towards folks who prefer that lifestyle.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, *G, OW G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
I love travel too. The idea of being in motion and going on a journey gets me excited. Also I got the opportunity to fly biz class on Air Canada through a really cheap award a few years ago and the lie flat seats had me hooked for good.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:08 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i enjoyed flying private planes for fun as teenager.....piper cubs & other small planes....

flying commercial since then for work & play hasn't been fun.....

of course, if you get an ug, it helps...

my work trips ended in 1993, when you could get the paper work done w/o online interruption...

now, i just grin & bear it...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Gamecock
I love travel. Getting there in realative comfort of J or F makes it all the better.

I understand that there are those who prefer to stay home. I certainly don't go on those folks boards and express any feelings I have towards folks who prefer that lifestyle.
You don't troll ReclinerTalk?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by brendog:20172565

You don't troll ReclinerTalk?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:27 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Simple: Different strokes for different folks.

(Or whatever cliche phrase you fancy)
I agree - there's nothing we can say that will convince you. Some people like to fly, and some don't. I personally enjoy it for a variety of reasons:

1). The feeling of movement and "going somewhere"
2). I have a deep interest in the airline industry (and aircraft)
3). Collecting status and points is fun
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
IcelandAir J doesn't count, it's basically a domestic US F seat for a 5+ hour int'l flight.

Longhaul flights in F are a joy. You sit around, eat good (for airplanes) food, watch some movies, read and take a nap. It's like a lazy day on your couch, but at the end of it, you're on the other side of the world instead of still in your living room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.