Reload this Page >

Worst destination you have visited

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst destination you have visited

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Hot Springs, AR for two Sun Belt basketball tourneys. Luckily my team no longer is in the Sun Belt so I don't have to go anymore.

Also for those hating on LA. If all you've visited is Hollywood Walk of Fame then I recommend checking out areas like Venice or Santa Monica. Totally different character.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:34 am

Ft. Polk, LA and maybe Tijuana as a close second.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Have you been recently? The City has undergone a tremendous revitalization in the past few years and actually has quite a bit going on.

It has consistently ranked towards the top of numerous surveys in the last few years for:
- Quality of new architecture and urban design standards;
- Quality of life;
- Suitability for new business formation; etc.

Indeed, the U.S. Conference of Mayors recently held their annual conference in Oklahoma City precisely because so many other cities are attempting to emulate Oklahoma City's success.

I send people from Dallas up there on a regular basis for weekend getaways and they always come back impressed.
I have had the distinct displeasure of revisiting OKC several times in the past few years. It's Tulsa with a fake riverwalk. I did find a fairly good sushi place, though, so there's one positive.

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
You're doing it wrong then.
I don't gamble. I dislike pointless noise and garish displays. I abhor pointless suburban sprawl. Thus, I detest Vegas.

Last edited by brendog; Feb 7, 2013 at 7:50 am
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:40 am

Bangkok - Just another big, dirty, ugly city. Love the country once I leave BKK, but it's one of my least favorite places on Earth by a wide margin.
Shanghai - Though, if I'm being honest, this is mostly because I was apparently there when the pollution levels were much higher than normal. If I hadn't been coughing up coal dust the whole time, I might have a less dim view of it.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:42 am

Riga
Crete
Slancev Bryac
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Orlando is the worst place I go for oncology meetings.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I would also not recommend Hartlepool in the UK. It's rather like Blackpool, but with (even) more day drunks and crack users.
Travel a couple of mile further to the south and you reach Middlesbrough. That is one town I would not advise going to unless your idea of heaven is looking at steel and chemical plantations.

Agree on Blackpool being horrid like most other UK seaside towns
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: BA GfL
Dubai. A cultural and culinary vacuum, one of the most pedestrian-unfriendly places I've ever been, full of dust and hot as blazes. I can't imagine why this place holds appeal to anyone.

Karachi and especially Lagos are right up there as well. Oddly, I don't mind Mumbai as much as some people seem to, or even Calcutta. At least the food's good in India.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
Auckland NZ. So much effort to get to for so little in return. Such a boring place.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's odd, but I have trouble thinking of anywhere I've been that I truly didn't like, particularly for international travel. I guess the only place that readily comes to mind is Daytona Beach, Florida -- twice I've had to spend rather extensive amounts of time there for business. It personifies everything I hate about the U.S.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by PTravel
Daytona Beach, Florida -- twice I've had to spend rather extensive amounts of time there for business. It personifies everything I hate about the U.S.
I can say that about almost everywhere I've ever been in Florida (in fairness, this is only Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties). The Keys do get a pass.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
Lome, Togo - dysentery, street crime but with great beaches
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by highman123
Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Well I don't like DAC at all, the hotels are actually quite nice, the Pan Pacific and Radison especially.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: EBG
Atlantic City, NJ - win or lose, once you walk outside any of the hotels its just a nasty place.

Edit: Even inside the hotels its pretty sad too. Just look around and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by highman123
Dhaka, Bangladesh.
+1 - I wanted to like it, I really did, but the absolute grinding poverty made it very, very difficult. That said, I have lots of colleagues who've spent more time there than I have, and loved it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.