Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite travel "secret" that other flyertalk members don't know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your favorite travel "secret" that other flyertalk members don't know?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
As several others have mentioned already, my "secret" is packing less. I think it was Rick Steves who said there are two kinds of travelers: those who pack light and those who wish they had. IME this is absolutely true!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
You check in with the ticket you actually travel on, you buy (and refund) another ticket to get lounge access.
Not sure I follow. You can buy another ticket to get lounge access but you would have to also check in on that ticket to get a boarding pass that you can show to the lounge agent.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
Not sure I follow. You can buy another ticket to get lounge access but you would have to also check in on that ticket to get a boarding pass that you can show to the lounge agent.
That's right. You have to check in on the seat you're actually going to use. But in order to get into the lounge you have to show the premium boarding pass. Thus you also have to check in with the expensive ticket you bought that you plan to get refunded. Once you've checked on the expensive ticket it is not a quick process to get a refund.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Not a show stopper." Getting unchecked in and refunded under a penalty-free ticket contract hasn't been a problem for me; and the refund shows up on my bank cards very quickly. More frequently than refunding a low/no-penalty ticket on which I've been checked in, I get the airline to cancel my check-in and change the date to a later date of travel.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
As several others have mentioned already, my "secret" is packing less. I think it was Rick Steves who said there are two kinds of travelers: those who pack light and those who wish they had. IME this is absolutely true!
I discovered this "secret" a while back and concur with you.

I still remember the first time I packed light and thinking
how much that simple action enhanced my trip.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Agree about light packing. As I travel mainly for business, I still have to pack more than I would like, with an extra suit and more clean shirts required for multiple meetings. (I often wear a suit on the plane to avoid having to pack it.) But if I can get it all in a carryon, I will. Good quality ultralight roller luggage is also key.

Another thing I do if I am going to a meeting in a neighborhood I have not been to before (for example, in a European city) is using Google maps street view to virtually "walk" from the nearest metro or light rail station to the building where the meeting is. Much better when you know your way.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Artpen100
...Another thing I do if I am going to a meeting in a neighborhood I have not been to before (for example, in a European city) is using Google maps street view to virtually "walk" from the nearest metro or light rail station to the building where the meeting is. Much better when you know your way.
^ I do this as well -- I find it's much easier to get around if I've done a virtual "walk-through" and have a mental picture of where I'm going. Especially upon arrival it helps to be able to exit a metro station and know "OK, there's the plaza, I have to cross over there, and there's the street that leads to the hotel, which is on the left side, etc."
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Agree about light packing. As I travel mainly for business, I still have to pack more than I would like, with an extra suit and more clean shirts required for multiple meetings. (I often wear a suit on the plane to avoid having to pack it.) But if I can get it all in a carryon, I will. Good quality ultralight roller luggage is also key.

Another thing I do if I am going to a meeting in a neighborhood I have not been to before (for example, in a European city) is using Google maps street view to virtually "walk" from the nearest metro or light rail station to the building where the meeting is. Much better when you know your way.
I second, third, fourth, or whatever number we're up to on this point. My travel almost never involves going somewhere I couldn't pick up another shirt, pair of pants, underwear, or, probably, even another suit on short notice. I stopped obsessing about what I packed long ago, and have learned to pack for a week's business trip to foreign countries with no more than a roll aboard suitcase, and that includes some workout gear, non-business wear, and toiletries.

It would be exceptionally rare for me not to be able to buy anything that I might need at my destination.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... I often wear a suit on the plane to avoid having to pack it. ...
that's what I called my "First Law of Luggage" when I was traveling to and from college: If you're wearing it, you didn't pack it, and the airline won't lose it
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If travelling with a friend or partner and you have 2 suitcases, mix the clothes up so you have a bit in each case. If one case goes missing you still have clothes to wear.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
If travelling with a friend or partner and you have 2 suitcases, mix the clothes up so you have a bit in each case. If one case goes missing you still have clothes to wear.
This strategy works if you wear an uncommon size, as I once did.

Now? I'd rather buy new clothes and send in the receipts for reimbursement.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
This strategy works if you wear an uncommon size, as I once did.

Now? I'd rather buy new clothes and send in the receipts for reimbursement.
^ Agree. I used to think I was accomplishing something when I was able to travel on a 4 week trip and jam everything into a carry-on. Got tired of the hassle of dragging it around airports, of the clothes getting worn out, or a wide assortment of problems. I check luggage on every flight now. I only carry on my computer and whatever I need to use on the flight. I wait an extra 10 minutes on the average for my bags. Much easier.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Although it is possible to buy additional clothes when traveling, I still find it is a annoyance spending the time to do so, so pack trying to avoid that.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by leonidas
When you are traveling internationally, call any US number from your gmail for free.

Most useful tip in here by a mile. You can even do this in combination with a cheap 3g hotspot and avoid phone carrier fees entirely.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikekelley
Most useful tip in here by a mile. You can even do this in combination with a cheap 3g hotspot and avoid phone carrier fees entirely.
Use Skype and call anywhere on the planet for free, not just the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.