Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite travel "secret" that other flyertalk members don't know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your favorite travel "secret" that other flyertalk members don't know?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
You can buy a used timeshare and stay in beautiful $800 a night 2 bedroom condos for $700 per week.

After lurking around the TUG - Timeshare User Group forums (http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?) I purchased several timeshares for cheap.

Over the past few years I have stayed in Hawaii, Phuket, France, Spain, Mexico and Scottsdale in beautiful rooms for a fraction of the rack rate.

We love the full kitchens and in-room laundry compared to staying in hotels. Perfect for family vacation travel.

Be warned, if you spend a lot of time lurking around flyertalk forums, TUG can be equally addicting.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by jg3
I fly with tools pretty often.
As do I. The worst are the ones that can't seem to deadlift their 200 lb. roller bag into the overhead.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG PC, Marriott, SWA A-List Preferred with Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Sean22mac
You can buy a used timeshare and stay in beautiful $800 a night 2 bedroom condos for $700 per week.

After lurking around the TUG - Timeshare User Group forums (http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?) I purchased several timeshares for cheap.

Over the past few years I have stayed in Hawaii, Phuket, France, Spain, Mexico and Scottsdale in beautiful rooms for a fraction of the rack rate.

We love the full kitchens and in-room laundry compared to staying in hotels. Perfect for family vacation travel.

Be warned, if you spend a lot of time lurking around flyertalk forums, TUG can be equally addicting.
Wow - very interesting. I rented a condo in FWB some years ago, but that was through a rental agency - it was very nice having separate bedrooms and a kitchen. Getting the rental directly from the owner should save some money too. thanks!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Nice, so you do get a receipt you can submit for reimbursement. Given the free $5 thing they have going on right now, I just may sign up for this. I generally only ever buy anything at Starbucks when I'm traveling for business, so your suggestion should work for me. Thanks!
one of the things that irks me about SB's is even if you order 5 drinks, you only get credit for one..unless you order them all separately and pay for them separately-occcassionally I have ordered 2 drinks and when I ask to ring them up separately Im told the store is "too busy" for that.....its not really that big of a deal, but it just irks me, lol
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sean22mac

Over the past few years I have stayed in Hawaii, Phuket, France, Spain, Mexico and Scottsdale in beautiful rooms for a fraction of the rack

Deleted. Wrong thread !
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by jerry305

Quiet space:
Every airport has a chapel. Some airports, it's the only place where you can sit without the din of CNN Headline News in the background.
Maybe not all airports. http://national.deseretnews.com/arti...chaplains.html

This isn't a secret, but I'm always really nice to the agents when they have to change or fix something. I NEVER interrupt them while they're typing and working to fix whatever might be wrong. They seem to really appreciate my being quiet and patient and things usually work out just fine.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by nlkm9
one of the things that irks me about SB's is even if you order 5 drinks, you only get credit for one..unless you order them all separately and pay for them separately-occcassionally I have ordered 2 drinks and when I ask to ring them up separately Im told the store is "too busy" for that.....its not really that big of a deal, but it just irks me, lol
I use a second card for that. I carry both my initial ordinary card and my gold card with me. When I get two items I charge the coffee to card #1 and the sandwich (or whatever) to card #2. The cashiers don't bother me about that and I don't feel like I'm asking them for extra work or a favor. Both cards are associated with the same starbucks account so I get "stars" regardless of which is used.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:35 pm

My "secret" is packing less than I did on my last trip.

I have about reached the point where this is becoming
a real challenge, so I may need to purchase a smaller
bag to add some enforcement to the issue.

On a serious note I find I enjoy my trips more with less
in tow. Long gone are the days of packing "just in case".
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Paul56

I actually have 2 Cpaps and 2 sets of makeup- so the suitcase and Cpap is mostly always packed--- I have all the toiletries , etc and all I have to do each week is add my clothes. I also have a packing cube with sneakers and workout gear that I replace when I get home. All this just makes my life easier
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by WCT3U
I use a second card for that. I carry both my initial ordinary card and my gold card with me. When I get two items I charge the coffee to card #1 and the sandwich (or whatever) to card #2. The cashiers don't bother me about that and I don't feel like I'm asking them for extra work or a favor. Both cards are associated with the same starbucks account so I get "stars" regardless of which is used.
Oh- I didn't realiZe if you had another card on acct you got stars for it...
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Paul56

This is the best "secret". I have found it to be extremely liberating being able to pack less and less. It most certainly makes my trips more enjoyable.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:06 am

Here are mine. BTW How can it be a secrete if you want us to reveal them here?

I shall call these tips not secretes.

1 Before travel day if its possible I'll go to the airport and scout it out to see where things are at. Whether doing a practice run to find the rental car or return or public transportation route, where the ticket counters are, closest security checkpoints and do some plane spotting. You never know if you are delayed getting to the airport so its nice to know the layout before hand. I do this at my local airport too just for kicks sans looking for the rental car return lot.

2. For international flights I have a mantra"Passports Boarding Passes, Priority Pass(Lounge Access Card)Wallet Credit Cards, Foreign Currency Emergency(Contacts) Cell Phones, Car Service. Never forgot an item once(it works). If you catch me repeating it don't be scared.

3. I will go on the website of the airport I'm flying out of to look at the terminal maps, print them out and use their feature if they have it for how to connected between one concourse and the next(sort of like a Google Map). Then I'll look for local restaurants to eat at and read Yelp Reviews to see which one is good on a layover.

4. I use my cellphone for the Basic WiFi and not touch my laptop unless I really need to look at documents for an extensive amount of time while at the airport or on the flight.

5. I setup flight staus updates on my phone and via e-mail 48 hours before the flight leaves. In addition I forward them to the proper parties meeting my flight etc.

6. For the long flight I will make sure I have a amenity kit I saved from Delta with eyeshades, socks, toothbrush toothpaste and comb.

7. What to cruise for less? Then take a Trans Atlantic Repositioning Cruise off season?

8. Off season travel in Europe is fun and you can really experience Europe like a local while saving money. Stay in that luxury hotel where the prices can be lower than going on season.

So these are my tips(:
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tylerf
You can get into airport lounges for free.
Buy a refundable ticket when you get to the airport, go in, call and get a refund.
You have to check in to get into the lounge. The airline won't issue a refund that quickly if you've checked in.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:10 pm

When you are traveling internationally, call any US number from your gmail for free.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You have to check in to get into the lounge. The airline won't issue a refund that quickly if you've checked in.
You check in with the ticket you actually travel on, you buy (and refund) another ticket to get lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.