Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite travel "secret" that other flyertalk members don't know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your favorite travel "secret" that other flyertalk members don't know?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jerry305
Pick your own seat on any plane:
Most people won't put a fuss if you just take "their" seat. There's room; they'll find another seat. (KIDDING!)
For this to be effective, you should immediately "nest" and then fully recline your seat - makes it very hard for the later-boarding passenger to dislodge you. It's just easier for him to go take your middle seat in the back...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Make fully flexible hotel reservations and change at will, only accepting the the non-refundable rate (if significantly lower) a day or two before you are scheduled to arrive.
And don't forget to cancel your flexible rate.. (happened to me!)
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:44 am

Often that cheaper nonrefundable rate disappears well in advance of 1 day beforehand.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Speaking of phones, this one is probably obvious: if you mainly make outbound calls while traveling (e.g., you don't care if people back home can call you), a cheap unlocked GSM phone can be a lot cheaper than your own quad-band phone from home.

I bought a little Nokia - has a 1990's look to it but it was new in the box in 2008 - for 15 euros at a street market. Now I've used it in about 15 countries with cheap local SIMs. Much more convenient than looking for and trying to figure out local payphones. I also carry my real cellphone and make a Skype call every now and then, but outside of a very strong hotel Wifi signal this usually isn't great.

Prepaid wireless is a fairly standard way to go in many countries. It doesn't scream "I am a drug dealer."
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mr. Style
You don't buy the Starbucks gift card with your company corporate card. You buy it with your personal card and go online and set it to reload automatically with your personal card. Once you buy so many drinks, Starbucks will mail you a gold card with your name on it.

When you buy a latte, you pay with the gift card and are given a receipt. You submit that drink receipt on your expense report for reimbursement. After you buy 12 drinks, Starbucks will e-mail you a code for a free drink which you use on the weekend or you save for use when you are on vacation.

If you have a morning meeting with a client, you can call them on the way over to confirm the meeting time and offer to bring them a coffee or latte. After all, its rude to bring a drink for yourself and not for them. Since all coffee at work tastes awful, they will be very happy to get one. You pay with your starbucks gift card for both drinks and after 6 morning meetings, you have a free drink for yourself. If you are meeting with a couple of people, then it can be even quicker.
Nice, so you do get a receipt you can submit for reimbursement. Given the free $5 thing they have going on right now, I just may sign up for this. I generally only ever buy anything at Starbucks when I'm traveling for business, so your suggestion should work for me. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:35 pm

[*]A starbucks gift card can be reloaded automatically so you get CC points + a free drinks for every 12 my company reimburses me for as a travel expense
Instead of auto-reload, buy more gift cards at an office supply with a 5x card, register the card, and then transfer the balance to your main card.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:17 pm

you can enter your flight # into Google to see if they are running late (i.e. "SWA 1900") and it will say what gate you need to go to without finding the departures board
That is genius! Will definitely do that from now on.

One of my favorite things to do is find out about good restaurants in whatever city I'm going to visit. I like using Chowhound.com for this. For those who don't konw, Chowhound is a discussion forum for foodies. Useful resource.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:36 pm

You can get into airport lounges for free.
Buy a refundable ticket when you get to the airport, go in, call and get a refund.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG PC, Marriott, SWA A-List Preferred with Companion Pass
Question

Originally Posted by azcoyote
Instead of auto-reload, buy more gift cards at an office supply with a 5x card, register the card, and then transfer the balance to your main card.
I haven't bothered getting a 5x card. I mostly stick with the Costco Amex (cashback and its the only credit card accepted at costco), IHG Rewards (Stay at a lot of Holiday Inns), Chase Southwest card (Got me a companion pass) and I have an AT&T Universal card (no fee, keep it for long account history on my credit report) gives me points on a website to buy stuff but I mostly just use it on Amazon.com because it offers to redeem the points at checkout and its convenient. I guess I am kind of lazy because I could probably be maximizing my points by doing some things differently - but any time I've received gift cards in the past, I've been left with small balances that got wasted by fees so I haven't bothered.
Does anyone have a "system" that works well for using/tracking gift cards?

Last edited by Mr. Style; Aug 30, 2014 at 3:04 pm Reason: forgot a card
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tylerf
You can get into airport lounges for free.
Buy a refundable ticket when you get to the airport, go in, call and get a refund.
And then find out that when you bought the ticket and checked in (in order to get into the lounge), it will take weeks and sometimes months to process the refund and you're paying interest on your CC.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Speaking of phones, this one is probably obvious: if you mainly make outbound calls while traveling (e.g., you don't care if people back home can call you), a cheap unlocked GSM phone can be a lot cheaper than your own quad-band phone from home.

I bought a little Nokia - has a 1990's look to it but it was new in the box in 2008 - for 15 euros at a street market. Now I've used it in about 15 countries with cheap local SIMs. Much more convenient than looking for and trying to figure out local payphones. I also carry my real cellphone and make a Skype call every now and then, but outside of a very strong hotel Wifi signal this usually isn't great.

Prepaid wireless is a fairly standard way to go in many countries. It doesn't scream "I am a drug dealer."
I used to do this, but T-Mobile actually has pretty reasonable roaming rates in most countries. If you're fine with somewhat slow data speeds (they're happy to sell you LTE speeds), then it's free and unlimited. Voice rates in most places are also cheap enough to where you don't have to sweat it chatting for an hour or two on the phone while you're abroad. Definitely less work than tracking down a local SIM card and then getting it all set up.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
[*]Never take checked bags - cheaper to buy cheap hand tools at Home Depot or Lowe's and give the to customer that to pay $25x2 to fly with them (and waste another hour at airport)
I don't agree with this unless, as others have suggested, your tools are cheap and common.

I don't travel with tools, per se, but I do often travel with specialized equipment that's either too large for carry-on or fails some FAA/TSA rule for carry-on safety. This gear, when new, cost several hundred dollars. I am not going to pay that kind of money all over again just to avoid checking a bag, nor will I take the risk of buying and attempting to use cheapo equipment. (I bought the good stuff because it works so much better than the cheapo stuff!) If we're talking about something as simple as a $10 bottle of suntan lotion then, yes, I will absolutely pick that up at a convenience store at my destination instead of checking a bag solely because I have one or two bottles of fluid larger than 100mL.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:24 am

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/
You can find flights between multiple combinations of departure, arrival, and connecting airports. It's easy to find the cheapest flight.

One way car rental deals
Every year, car rental companies need to get cars driven into Florida in the fall, and driven out of Florida in the spring. They may not advertise it, but if you search for a one way rental to/from Florida in the appropriate season, you can get a really good deal (less than $10/day) and no drop fee. Same thing applies for Arizona for those that live out west. The fall deals usually start in November and the spring deals usually start in April. At least one company will do it, and they'll lower the price if there are fewer takers than expected, because they need the cars driven to where they can make more money from them. They might lose money on the rental after depreciation, but they save by not having to pay an employee to drive it or to have the car sit idle when there's a shortage of cars elsewhere.

Need to nap for a few hours during the day?
If you are traveling and need to nap for a few hours during the day, and can't justify a hotel room for a short nap, public libraries and college student centers usually won't bother you if you fall asleep on a comfy chair or couch for a few hours. But they will wake you up in hotel lobbies, even if you just checked out, even if you're in business clothes.

You don't always need to take a taxi to/from the airport
Research the public transit system in the city you're visiting. For example, in NYC, it's often times faster to take the train from EWR or JFK to Manhattan in peak hours. In Chicago, it's faster to take the train from ORD when the Kennedy is jammed. And in many cases, why pay $50 for a cab when you can pay $5 for public transit that takes just a little bit longer.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by IFlyHarder
My favorite secret?
I'm the one who passed gas on the PBI-EWR flight last weekend.
So the saying whoever denied it supplied it is incorrect then!! You took ownership!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
You don't buy the Starbucks gift card with your company corporate card. You buy it with your personal card and go online and set it to reload automatically with your personal card. Once you buy so many drinks, Starbucks will mail you a gold card with your name on it.

When you buy a latte, you pay with the gift card and are given a receipt. You submit that drink receipt on your expense report for reimbursement. After you buy 12 drinks, Starbucks will e-mail you a code for a free drink which you use on the weekend or you save for use when you are on vacation.

If you have a morning meeting with a client, you can call them on the way over to confirm the meeting time and offer to bring them a coffee or latte. After all, its rude to bring a drink for yourself and not for them. Since all coffee at work tastes awful, they will be very happy to get one. You pay with your starbucks gift card for both drinks and after 6 morning meetings, you have a free drink for yourself. If you are meeting with a couple of people, then it can be even quicker.
It's even quicker and cheaper if you buy 12 separate coffee beans. Go when there is no client in the store and ask the barrista to sell you the beans by the weight. Pay for one bean at a time and you'll get one star per bean (1 star per transaction, even if only for a cent). That's a pretty aggressive form of travel hacking and is definitely not for everyone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.