Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Am I Allowed To Bring and Consume Mini-Bottles of Alcohol on a Flight?

Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MM 1k

I hate paying 6 bucks for a drink in coach.... Am I allowed to bring Airplane bottles through security?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: UA GS
Yes, you can bring them through security (in your baggie) but you are prohibited from consuming any alcohol on board that is not served by a crew member. Whether or not you get caught is another story.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:47 am

It's illegal to drink alcohol on a plane unless it is served to you by the crew.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MM 1k
thanks
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Builderman
It's illegal to drink alcohol on a plane unless it is served to you by the crew.
I've never been rebuffed when asking a crewmember if they would "serve" a mini to me left over from a previous flight. It's at their discretion, of course, and not something I do often.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
14 CFR 121.575 (a) if anyone is wondering what the reg is.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:45 am

If OP is 1K, should have received drink coupons with membership kit.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
and drinks are $7 now.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, US CP
Originally Posted by villox
Yes, you can bring them through security (in your baggie) but you are prohibited from consuming any alcohol on board that is not served by a crew member. Whether or not you get caught is another story.
I would not want to chance this. If you get caught by a flight attendant in a bad mood, or who wants to make an issue of it, that could be very bad. Just pay the $7 or use chits.

Edit: I understand that villox was not affirmatively recommending chancing it, just noting (correctly) that those who do might not get caught. All the same, I wouldn't.

Last edited by Ejote; Jan 23, 2013 at 11:13 am
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:21 am

I would be hesitant to sit next to you if you are serving yourself.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by erik123
I mean I understand if someone is consuming a whole ton, but if they were doing one or two to save a buck would you report them or asked to be moved because of it?

I am in no way advocating that people do so as it is indeed illegal, but so is leaving your ipad turned on in your carryon.

I don't usually buy alcohol on board because I either have drink chits or don't really care if I go a couple hours without a drink, but I can understand why someone who wants to have a couple drinks would choose to spend $3 vs $14 and serve themselves.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I will admit I was once flying Air Canada YYZ-SEA and was stuck in the very last row of the plane so I poured out some coke added some rum from the MLL and took it on board. Karma immediately swooped in and rewarded me with a seatmate who was heading to some get rich quick seminar which he described in every wondrous and excruciating detail for the next 6 hours.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:20 pm

Do it all the time and have never had a problem. I do not hide it nor do I flaunt it. I am not paying $7 when you can usually buy them for $1-$2 at a liquor store.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
It is certainly possible. I would say just don't flaunt it and know it is actually illegal. You can use your own judgement after knowing that.

TSA won't blink an eye over it though if your 1L bag is packed full of them. I think you can fit about six or so in one of those.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by erik123
You can sit next to me, I will shield you anytime in E+ if you share.

FYI, I am doing a trial run of this next week, I need to save a few pennies, 6 drinks at $7 each on a 2 hour fly is adding up. Then I have another 3 hour flight for another 6.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.