Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Am I Allowed To Bring and Consume Mini-Bottles of Alcohol on a Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I Allowed To Bring and Consume Mini-Bottles of Alcohol on a Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dayone
Let me know which liquor store sells minis of brands I know for $1.00.
Bacardi Silver, 50ml, $0.99 - http://www.hitimewine.net/BACARDI-SILVER-50ML.html
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jbsay
Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
You can sit next to me, I will shield you anytime in E+ if you share.

FYI, I am doing a trial run of this next week, I need to save a few pennies, 6 drinks at $7 each on a 2 hour fly is adding up. Then I have another 3 hour flight for another 6.
Wow....

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jan 25, 2013 at 11:10 pm
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by rcheneyjr
Just wondering...what is the reason that this is illegal?
They say it is for safety, most people suspect it is to make money.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jan 25, 2013 at 11:10 pm
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by katarn444
Do it all the time and have never had a problem. I do not hide it nor do I flaunt it. I am not paying $7 when you can usually buy them for $1-$2 at a liquor store.
Me and the wife do it all the time.. hehe. But on another note we have never had a problem with taking these on board. We don't get drunk and we don't pour when the FAs are around. Discreet, yes, but we also like to mix our own drinks. When they do it, many times it comes to us WAY, WAY too strong.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
Let me know which liquor store sells minis of brands I know for $1.00.

Total Wine has dozens, if not hundreds of 50 ml bottles for $0.99.

They opened their first store in our area just before Christmas, and people were buying them like crazy as stocking stuffers

OK, maybe thousands. I just looked and they have 54 different types of just Vodka on their website for under a buck.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: FT
Funny responses. I mean speeding is illegal and I bet 100% of those responding about the illegality of BYO speed routinely…I mean, even 1mph over is SPEEDING…

honestly, i would only BYO a few small bottles of single malt. not because i do not want to pay 7$ but because i do not want to pay 7$ for cheap liquor.

FYI, on BA, you can BYO as long as you give it to the crew and they will in fact serve you the whole flight. so if you manage to pick up a nice bottle of champange in the duty free before boarding, be nice and say its a special day and voila...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
It looks like the bottom line is:

- It's against the rules and you could get in trouble.
- But if you are discreet and not visibly intoxicated, in most cases you will get away with it.
- If you get busted, don't ignore the FA's instructions. (Pleading ignorance is probably the best approach for defusing such situations.)

Not sure there's more that needs to be said.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by rcheneyjr
Just wondering...what is the reason that this is illegal?

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...nd-to-new-york

Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:45 am

I think he had a maxi instead of a mini...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:29 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
I hear that Aeroflot has a different kind of practice going, despite the "official" policy. Maybe it's their flight quality, but the frequent fliers do usually bring and consume their own alcohol, from the duty free shops, etc.
I have been on many a delayed Aeroflot flight (internal flights in Russia) where some of the passengers got so plastered passing around their carry-on bottles of vodka (1 liter bottles) that the flights attendants hid except for doing the the flight safety announcements and demo. Heck, I would have hid if I were them too (I wanted to hide with them) - most Russians are nasty drunks.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If you are drinking 6 drinks in 2 hours, you have bigger problems than the OP. If you are drinking 12 drinks in 5 hours..... Well, wow. I can recommend a good hepatologist.
There are 6 units of alcohol in 2 large glasses of wine (in otherwords, 9 units in a bottle). I am pretty sure not only can I drink 4 large glasses of wine in 5 hours (heck, that's in the 2 hour region tbh), I have drunk at least that on flights many times transatlantically. And that doesn't include the lounge beforehand. Every day? Nope, but on long flights, it helps pass the time / makes it more bearable.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I have been on many a delayed Aeroflot flight (internal flights in Russia) where some of the passengers got so plastered passing around their carry-on bottles of vodka (1 liter bottles) that the flights attendants hid except for doing the the flight safety announcements and demo. Heck, I would have hid if I were them too (I wanted to hide with them) - most Russians are nasty drunks.
I was on an Air France flight into St. Petersburg some years ago, and every other passenger was necking alcohol from a bottle - and it was about 9am. Aeroflot in the 90s- heck, I'd be plastered before boarding, but Air France didn't throw up the same concerns!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Are you allowed to do it? No.

Has it been done before? Absolutely.

Last week in Y, my seatmate brought several vodka mini-bottles, which he used to mix in his bottles of Mountain Dew. I was confused about the whole vodka-and-Mountain-Dew thing, but he strongly asserted that it was good...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Are you allowed to do it? No.

Has it been done before? Absolutely.

Last week in Y, my seatmate brought several vodka mini-bottles, which he used to mix in his bottles of Mountain Dew. I was confused about the whole vodka-and-Mountain-Dew thing, but he strongly asserted that it was good...
I used to do that in college.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.