Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why don't more airports offer decent pay lounges??

Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Many of you either have employers who pay business class tickets or have other methods to gain entry. That still leave a huge lot of people flying with out an a lounge option. Why do not more airports cater to this group by offering such venues on a pay per use option?

While they are at it have them is statigic points not hidden away somewhere totally away from points of departure.

Now before you tell there are lots of options - it may look so on paper but when you really look close there are only a very small number of such lounges around the world. These are also often so unattractive because they are way off the beaten path.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold; TK Gold; M&M Silver
Well, I imagine that they have done the sums and calculated that they are not a profitable business.

What's wrong with Starbucks or a pub/bar/restaurant? These tend to have food/drinks and often wifi, and you pay for them - just like a pay per use lounge...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
A good amount of the lounges out there will already let you pay to get in.

I would guess that real estate at an airport is way too expensive for somebody to come in and open just a lounge and be able to make money with it. The airlines are already leasing or whatever quite a bit of space for their operations, so the cost to set up a lounge is much less for them.

It's also possible the airlines have it in their agreements at some airports that they can not lease terminal space in their terminal to a lounge that competes with theirs.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cordelli
A good amount of the lounges out there will already let you pay to get in.
That was my first thought: don't most airline clubs offer daypasses? I know this is incredibly common in the U.S. - all of the majors sell daypasses. Don't know whether the other biggest worldwide carriers do this or not.

Then there are also other networks of lounges for various credit cards, access clubs, etc. (Although I agree with the OP that sometimes this category of lounge is both lame and not where you need it to be.) I see these more often in non-U.S. airports. Maybe a decent "infrequent lounge user" strategy would be Diner's Club + the occasional U.S. airline daypass.

If I was flying Y with no status, I think I'd be most likely to just find a good pub. At the kinds of airports where you're likely to have a long layover, you're also likely to find a decent pub. Unless you're really planning to tie one on, that's just as good as the kind of lounge you'd get with Diner's Club.

Disclaimer: I dumped Diner's about 10 years ago. I used DC for lounge access in a few international airports over the years - it was always one of those generic lounges for a variety of credit cards, that "Priority Access" card (or similar), and maybe the least-dominant airline alliance for that airport. No idea if the program has changed since then.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:25 pm

Move to the US or get something like Priority Pass? There are a lot of pay lounges if you know how to pay for them.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:01 pm

The only time I paid (or would pay) to get into a lounge is if I need, and it has, a shower. Otherwise, the airport is the lounge

Actually, I guess I would also pay if the lounge had good, free booze (or quality food), and the entrance fee is less than what I'd spend at a bar during the wait
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Most British airports have a pay per use lounge somewhere. Pretty common - 15 for 3 hours in lounge.

The best ones are the no.1 lounges - would put some airline lounges to shame.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moeve
Many of you either have employers who pay business class tickets or have other methods to gain entry. That still leave a huge lot of people flying with out an a lounge option. Why do not more airports cater to this group by offering such venues on a pay per use option?

While they are at it have them is statigic points not hidden away somewhere totally away from points of departure.

Now before you tell there are lots of options - it may look so on paper but when you really look close there are only a very small number of such lounges around the world. These are also often so unattractive because they are way off the beaten path.
Few companies pay for business class nowadays. Business travelers can usually pay to get a direct flight. Those at a hub typically don't have much need/use for a lounge. I fly out of one and I wouldn't pay more than maybe $50 for a year membership. Why would I leave my house to go in to the airport earlier?

That said, most airlines let you buy a day pass.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my understanding is that mcdonalds have left airports. the unstated reason is the government running the airport has jacked the rents up so high they walked. the same is true of the off airport rental car agencies.

the rent is too high.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by qvzn
The only time I paid (or would pay) to get into a lounge is if I need, and it has, a shower. Otherwise, the airport is the lounge

Actually, I guess I would also pay if the lounge had good, free booze (or quality food), and the entrance fee is less than what I'd spend at a bar during the wait
This is why there aren't more pay airport lounges. If they at best break even on customers, they cannot afford to operate such a lounge.

OTOH, if the airport wants to encourage more travelers to use their airport, one might envision the airport trying to provide or encourage lounge facilities. The question is whether making lounges and showers available is a cost effective way to do so. There also might be a consideration of whether the lounge would tend to benefit some airlines more than others.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:53 am
Original Poster

In my case it is really lay over time that plays a role. Often the cheapest flight isn't a direct one and this means time at an airport where one uses the time to work and catch up on emails etc. a good lounge would really come handy here.

Even with priorty pass that isn't an option at many airports because they are either in the wrong terminal or there are none available in the program at all for this airport.

However most of you are probaly right about the cost factor. An alternative I find interesting are those terminal hotels rooms / bubble rooms you can rent by the hour. It gives one a bit of quite and in some cases a shower and internet to work with.

Some airports are experimenting with them near concources - not a bad idea for longer lay overs.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by qvzn

I'd be interested to briefly discuss exactly which airlines really do sell daypasses, because of qvzn's notion of booze that is both good and free.

Now every U.S airline sells daypasses and as of the past couple years every lounge offers free drinks. (This wasn't the case a few years back.) But...the free drinks are usually American macrobrew draws (e.g., Bud Light) in 8-ounce glasses, a couple rotgut wines that I wouldn't use to cook with, and maybe some well liquors(?). I am honestly not sure about the liquor...they may even charge you for bad vodka.

So I guess my question is eseentially which of the big global European or Asian carriers sell daypasses? I know the beer and wine they pour in those lounges is somewhat more drinkable. Jenbel, what about these no.1 lounges of which you speak? In Britain, I'd probably be after a good local beer more than anything...

Originally Posted by slawecki
my understanding is that mcdonalds have left airports.
Seems like McD's is one restaurant that could actually make money in an airport since they attract a queue from open to close, whereas some of the others are really only crowded around traditional mealtimes and then some don't do any (or much) breakfast business. But if they can't make money, then yeah, you start to think the airport authority might be shooting itself in the foot.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is why there aren't more pay airport lounges. If they at best break even on customers, they cannot afford to operate such a lounge.

OTOH, if the airport wants to encourage more travelers to use their airport, one might envision the airport trying to provide or encourage lounge facilities. The question is whether making lounges and showers available is a cost effective way to do so. There also might be a consideration of whether the lounge would tend to benefit some airlines more than others.
Every now and then, I'll see a little regional airport that has it's own home-grown lounge. Haven't seen showers (since long-hauls aren't involved) and the lounges take on more of a business flavor than a bar scene flavor...wifi, computers, printing, comfy seats, place to make phone calls...that kind of thing. I think Burlington has one. Or maybe it was Rochester. Smallish airports that probably compete with other airports for traffic from pax who live 60-90 minutes from two or three different options...

Originally Posted by moeve
However most of you are probaly right about the cost factor. An alternative I find interesting are those terminal hotels rooms / bubble rooms you can rent by the hour. It gives one a bit of quite and in some cases a shower and internet to work with.

Some airports are experimenting with them near concources - not a bad idea for longer lay overs.
We stayed in one of these at DEL...were in the room for about six hours for around $125. Not really a "cheap" option, but we were paying for the convenience of staying in the international area and we desperately wanted a real shower and a real bed for our 11PM-to-7AM connection. I think they have a less expensive option somewhere else in the terminal that is just a sleeping pod - no shower or toilet.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
If I was flying Y with no status, I think I'd be most likely to just find a good pub.
This is a good point. I was without status for a period of time this year for the first time in many years. I spent lots of time in pubs and didn't really miss the lounge as much as I thought I would. Here in FRA some of the lounges (LH at A26 in particular) are practically standing room only at certain times of the day anyway.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:05 am
Original Poster

As I have said before it isn't about the exit airport but more the lay over ones. I have a 4 hour one in Houston in July. Not enough to plaly the security game on the way back but since I am heading for an international flight it too long to sit at a pub before the next 10 hour flight.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
my understanding is that mcdonalds have left airports. the unstated reason is the government running the airport has jacked the rents up so high they walked. the same is true of the off airport rental car agencies.

the rent is too high.
Unless they are having trouble renting the space that McDonalds would otherwise be in, then the rent exactly correct (or even too low.) That is what running government like a business looks like.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.