Wiki Posts
Search

Motorsport Tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
Arrow Motorsport Tourism?

I'm terribly curious whom here actually travels to watch Auto Racing?

Its an area that I've recently became very addicted to. Curiously enough already managed to bump into another FT'er who's got the same passion.

Likewise if anyone needs some help in this area, I'd be happy to contribute whatever I've learned, or at least try to point you in the right direction.

cheers!
--Russ
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
I'm terribly curious whom here actually travels to watch Auto Racing?

Its an area that I've recently became very addicted to. Curiously enough already managed to bump into another FT'er who's got the same passion.

Likewise if anyone needs some help in this area, I'd be happy to contribute whatever I've learned, or at least try to point you in the right direction.

cheers!
--Russ
My niece's neighbor in Baton Rouge travels to all the Nascar races in their RV.

I am sure at the other end there are fans who flies to all the F1 races. I remebered one fan who mentioned an official F1 travel/ticket agency that you can buy accommodation and access packages for the races.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
Motorsport Tourism?

Been to a few F1 races. Couple of Le Mans and can't wait for all the Goodwood festivals next year!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
My niece's neighbor in Baton Rouge travels to all the Nascar races in their RV.

I am sure at the other end there are fans who flies to all the F1 races. I remebered one fan who mentioned an official F1 travel/ticket agency that you can buy accommodation and access packages for the races.
nice! that is the difference I guess between North America where people of a certain demographic travel to a bunch of races in their RV's... fun crowd - they always try to feed us!

vs.

the F1 fans that fly to different races... There are many agencies that have sub-businesses that only cater to Grand Prix tours... I'm trying to see how I can actually contribute to some of them in some ways so I can offset my costs travelling to races.

Le Mans and British GP are on my list for next year fingers crossed I get selected, you'd think it'd be easy getting in when volunteering, but in many ways the criteria for selection is more stringent than paid jobs... sheesh!

I have to say Motorsports is a perfect excuse to Travel.... I wish I would have started this sooner.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: SPG, Chase Sapphire, AA, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club, US Bank Flexperks, UA Mileage Plus
my hubby races in the 24 hours of Lemons series...it's a riot ! Cars cannot cost more than $500...but then you can add on and go crazy...all the safety equipment, etc is required...check it our sometime...too funny...
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by homegirlchris
my hubby races in the 24 hours of Lemons series...it's a riot ! Cars cannot cost more than $500...but then you can add on and go crazy...all the safety equipment, etc is required...check it our sometime...too funny...
Oh yes, I know of this series.

I'm sure your hubby knows SpeedyCop that man is a legend!

I've done a few ride alongs with him in Washington DC which was fun, but what was more fun was hanging out at his "ranch" full of beaters that we could race around... picture paint ball games using SUV's chasing each other around a huge backyard lol
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:20 am

A lot of my travel tends to be loosely based around some kind of car event, whether that is something like a round of the F1, driving nurburgring or going to an event like Goodwood. This year was the F1 and Moto GP in Japan which was a brilliant couple of weeks.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:47 am

Not a regular thing for me, but, I just got home having been to watch the F1 race in Austin! There's plenty of people who follow F1 across the world!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My buddies and I keep talking about roadtripping to a deep-South NASCAR race. The harder core, older school, and more redneck the better.

I've attended one NASCAR race, but it was in Kansas - total wine & cheese crowd. We want deep, deep South for this. I don't think the DFW area would quite cut it either. I'm thinking Darlington, Chattanooga, Martinsville, Bristol...one of those. But open to others - bonus if it's in the fall and we can pair it with an SEC football game. (We have no need to watch the Busch race, the truck race, etc.) Again, I'd want that to be in Bama, Mississippi, or Georgia. Maybe Tennessee if the Vols don't suck when we get around to this. No Vandy or anything like that.

Extra bonus if we can play one of the RTJ golf courses in that part of the world...I realize that doesn't jive with the demographic here but it could be a Friday activity nonetheless.

I kind of like the idea of that track that basically looks like a huge football stadium where they do a night race. I think it's a half-mile track and half of the pits on each side of the track. (Martinsville?)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: SPG, Chase Sapphire, AA, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club, US Bank Flexperks, UA Mileage Plus
Oh yes, I know of this series.

I'm sure your hubby knows SpeedyCop that man is a legend!

I've done a few ride alongs with him in Washington DC which was fun, but what was more fun was hanging out at his "ranch" full of beaters that we could race around... picture paint ball games using SUV's chasing each other around a huge backyard lol
yes, SpeedyCop is a legend...gives back quite a bit to charity...nice guy ! We used to live in Charlotte, NC, but the Nascar stuff got to be a bit too serious...big money ! Our son just went to the F1 race in Singapore not long ago...hubby was VERY jealous ! The other son got to go to the race in Austin...what's with these kids ?? Do they just have too many FF miles ??

After racing in SCCA for years, hubby is finding the Lemons races to be alot of fun...his team had a Fiat last year that they put a diesel engine into...it didn't go very fast, but got great gas mileage !
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by homegirlchris
After racing in SCCA for years, hubby is finding the Lemons races to be alot of fun...his team had a Fiat last year that they put a diesel engine into...it didn't go very fast, but got great gas mileage !
Oh yes, good gas mileage... critical for racing of course, LOL

Both Singapore and Austin GP's were a lot of fun and frequent miles definitely helped me to get there too
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Y29M
Not a regular thing for me, but, I just got home having been to watch the F1 race in Austin! There's plenty of people who follow F1 across the world!

I've only managed to do six F1's this year... it was a great year nonetheless
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
I've only managed to do six F1's this year... it was a great year nonetheless
Only 6? Wow that's a great effort! We did, Malaysia, China and USA and I thought that was pretty decent. Austin was very impressive I thought! Going again next year and going to try and hit Singapore too
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

we ought to organize an F1 FT meet up at the next event... who's planning to go where next year?

in Singapore I was able to guest an awesome flyertalker that hosted me for the trip, hopefully he's around next year to host me again
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
My buddies and I keep talking about roadtripping to a deep-South NASCAR race. The harder core, older school, and more redneck the better.

I've attended one NASCAR race, but it was in Kansas - total wine & cheese crowd. We want deep, deep South for this. I don't think the DFW area would quite cut it either. I'm thinking Darlington, Chattanooga, Martinsville, Bristol...one of those. But open to others - bonus if it's in the fall and we can pair it with an SEC football game. (We have no need to watch the Busch race, the truck race, etc.) Again, I'd want that to be in Bama, Mississippi, or Georgia. Maybe Tennessee if the Vols don't suck when we get around to this. No Vandy or anything like that.

Extra bonus if we can play one of the RTJ golf courses in that part of the world...I realize that doesn't jive with the demographic here but it could be a Friday activity nonetheless.

I kind of like the idea of that track that basically looks like a huge football stadium where they do a night race. I think it's a half-mile track and half of the pits on each side of the track. (Martinsville?)

I have a family wedding in Asheville NC on Oct 19/13 and trying to fit in a NASCAR event. I could probably work in one of the following:

Oct 12 Charlotte
Oct 20 Talledaga
Oct 27 Martinsville

It sounds like I would have the same goal as you for the event, the more redneck the better. Which date would be best?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.