Reload this Page >

Motorsport Tourism?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motorsport Tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta, Continental, United, USAir, Marriott, Best Western, Super 8, Holiday Inn
It's been a quiet summer for me in terms of attending motorsports events. I live about 20 minutes or so from Watkins Glen, so that's been my only outings so far this year.

Back in April, we did the Opening Day laps along with 99 other MINI owners. The TUDOR weekend was wet off and on. But, there was a MINI Corral for the first time put on by a Canadian online BMW/MINI magazine and MINI USA. We were supposed to do parade laps before the Continental event on Saturday, but several of us got excluded since we missed the indoctrination by the IMSA people. However, all was not lost as we were given passes to the IMSA Hot Lap Program. Each of us got to be driven around the course in a new John Cooper Works Hardtop by Stephen Simpson, one of the team drivers. I also made the Vintage Weekend just before the NASCAR weekend. It was rescheduled from its usual September date due to the repaving work. Jaguar brought a bunch of the new F-Types and sedans and set up an autocross course in the north parking lot. Davy Jones is the lead instructor and other Names among the 6-7 other drivers were Roberto Guererro and USAC ace, Tony Hunt. I drove the 380hp V-6 F-Type on Saturday and its big brother, the 550hp AWD F-Type on Sunday. Tony Hunt was my instructor on Sunday. Trust me, 550hp WILL get your attention!!

Other than that, I'm planning on doing the Petit LeMans again this year with my son who now lives in the Atlanta area.

Bon Temps Roulet!!!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:14 am

We were lucky enough to have a Red Bull Global Rallycross round right here in DC, and not having to travel to an event makes a nice change!

Our next trip will be out to COTA for the Lone Star Le Mans in a couple of weeks, and both IMSA/WEC always put on a great show, along with the various support races. Hope some of my fellow FT petrolheads will be there!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I'm a lucky boy this year - off to Singapore for the GP! Turn 3 premier tickets. A boatload of money, but I feel this is a bit like Monaco and if you are going to do it, you gotta do it right.

Anyone else in Singapore that weekend?

Greg
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:26 pm

The good doctor and I weren't planning on going to the F1 race at COTA this year, but we're now booked to go down to Austin this weekend. It looks like there are a few other FTers who will be at the track too -- anyone else going to the race?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:00 am

I have to admit that I'm getting a little worried about the weather this year.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta, Continental, United, USAir, Marriott, Best Western, Super 8, Holiday Inn
M:

That certainly was the case at Road Atlanta this year. The rain never really stopped in the 3 days I was there. We left at about 3 hours into the Petit LeMans. Hated to do that, but I was miserable...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:26 am

The good doctor and I are booked to go down to Daytona at the end of the month for the Rolex 24 -- anyone else?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Abu Dhabi GP

I could use a bit of help here. My work schedule is such that the only dates where I can reasonably get away from the office are in late NOV - early JAN. I was thinking about the Abu Dhabi GP in late NOV, extending Thanksgiving by a bit. For plunking down more money that I ever have before for a vacation, is this race a good one to go all in for?

Using AA miles on EY, I'd fly R/T direct LAX-ABU in F and stay in UAE about 6 days (2 race days, 3 tourist days, and a departure day). I did a few cycles of the Exec card at 100k, and with MS, I was able to accumulate a good stash. With the AA deval, I plan to act before the 22nd. I have SPG points to cover about anything in the area (including, at the end of the trip, 2 discounted nights at Maha resort, but I'm unsure that's worth it based on FT reviews).

Thoughts appreciated.

TIA.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:31 am

Talking

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
My work schedule is such that the only dates where I can reasonably get away from the office are in late NOV - early JAN.
I was thinking about the Abu Dhabi GP
For plunking down more money that I ever have before for a vacation, is this race a good one to go all in for?
As always: it depends.

At the end of the day, it is an F1 race. Are they as exciting as those of the late 80s? They are not. But it is still F1: the cars are beautiful, the noise is loud, the smell is addictive and the drivers are the best in the world.

It is up to you to decide if this is an event worth paying for. If you love the sport and this is the only event you can attend because of work, then you should probably go for it. For the majority of people who attend the Monaco GP nowadays – who have no clue about the teams or drivers and complain about the noise during the race – flying to Abu Dhabi for the GP would definitely be a waste of money.

Last edited by mmff; Mar 7, 2016 at 4:37 am
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:41 am

Personally I wouldn't do any of the Middle East gp's. The tracks just aren't interesting as they're just too 'playstation' and I'm dubious about the non track action and aptmosphere as there isn't really a history to draw on. If I could only attend late season it would be Brazil, then us, then daylight, then the Middle East.

For myself I'm doing the following this year, if anyone is about and is up for a drink or two just yell

Rennsport Sydney
Bonneville speed week
Monterey classic car week
Spa F1
Manx GP
Goodwood revival
Japan F1
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:28 pm

I feel about the same way. I do like modern tracks with nice facilities, but I don't think the atmosphere would be my thing. Brazil would be great.

I'm also doing Rennsport Australia. I go to the US one, so why not. Just can't quite take my car.
I did Goodwood F.o.S. last year and had a blast. I need to schedule a trip for the revival one of these years too.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Thanks! I might be able to time things right to get to Brazil. Advice from anyone who's been there for the race and tacked on a trip appreciated.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Revival

Husband and I are going to Goodwood Revival in September. First time for us. Any one have any tips? We have tickets for all 3 days. Think we have outfits mostly planned to blend in for the vintage event.

Can't wait!!!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Had a fabulous time at Revival. It defies description. Wish it could be a regular on the schedule for us, but it can not, sadly. Wonderful event.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by clkc86
Had a fabulous time at Revival. It defies description. Wish it could be a regular on the schedule for us, but it can not, sadly. Wonderful event.
Pictures?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.