Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

obese pax denied boarding

Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS

I was wondering what you thought of this story I read in the NY times today?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/a...w0EZLnvYr9XQmM
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
It sounds as though the airlines did everything they could for her, but there is a physical limit on the size of person they can accept. Sadly, she exceeded it. And then, even though she was ill, she was not willing to accept any medical treatment in Hungary - that was her choice, and it had fatal consequences
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
425 lb and they try to sue the airlines for her death? Please.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: Enough
If y'all don't fit, y'all don't fit. It sucks, but she really should of sought medical treatment in Hungary. There are American-quality clinics in Budapest.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
They could fly her there but couldn't fly her back?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in that photo, he also looks to be a person of size. i don't think the two of them would fit in 3 seats.

i would think the law suit would be in Hungary. i doubt the courts there are as sympathetic to suits of this type as courts in usa.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by empedocles
I found that odd as well. She obviously was a similar weight and had similar mobility issues on the way there. How did they manage to accomodate her on the way there, but not on the way back.

I do think that the couple was silly for not getting medical treatment in Hungary. It's not a third world country, and despite her complicated medical history I'm fairly sure that the doctors in Hungary could have probably kept her alive.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by empedocles
She was there for a month, and the claim was she had gained "water weight" in that time due to her kidney condition (which could actually be true).
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:51 am
Original Poster

I also find it strange that they could fly her there and not back but maybe it has to do with the equipment available at the airport. I have never heard an airline say that the seatback couldn't support the extra-weight only the problem with seat space.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I think its easier to be judgemental about this situation because she had what some people could say "self induced" problems but I thinks its important for airlines and pax with special needs to think about airport accesability at arrival/departure and transfer airports. I have seen pax carried up aircraft stairs in wheelchairs in airports without jetbridges and thought that looked unacceptably dangerous.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Catusa
I think its easier to be judgemental about this situation because she had what some people could say "self induced" problems but I thinks its important for airlines and pax with special needs to think about airport accesability at arrival/departure and transfer airports. I have seen pax carried up aircraft stairs in wheelchairs in airports without jetbridges and thought that looked unacceptably dangerous.
It actually isn't as dangerous as it looks. When there isn't a jetbridge or a lift (that's when I get to ride the lift with the garbage), it is fairly common to be strapped into an aisle chair and then be carried up or down the aircraft steps. The people who do this are pretty experienced and I've never felt at all unsafe being carried.

Plus I MUCH prefer being carried up or down in an aisle chair to being thrown over someone's shoulder and carried like a sack of potatoes.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Catusa
I have never heard an airline say that the seatback couldn't support the extra-weight only the problem with seat space.
I have actually had to deal with a similar problem in the past. A passenger weighing ~300kg could not be accommodated on one of our flights due to the seat loading limits (which were in the 250kg range). That passenger was also physically unable to pass through either the aisle of the aircraft or an overwing type III exit, making them a serious liability in the case of an emergency.

We eventually required that the passenger provide a doctor's note confirming that they had sufficient mobility (either with or without assistance of an attendant) to be able to evacuate the aircraft in an emergency. They were unable to provide this.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: FB Silver. Some hotel programs. More interested in cheap travel than points accrual.
I might be thinking too practical, but they could have taken a boat back (?).
And cruise ships have doctors on board.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
It would seem that a couple like this might to do better with a private jet service than to chance it on the commercial carriers. I can't blame the airline if they made a good faith effort, but people with disabilities should not be restricted from traveling either, within reason.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
It sounds like the airlines did what they could to accommodate them. The fact that a fire crew had to assist in getting her out of the wheel chair and into the seat (and failed after 30 mins of trying) shows that this is an extraordinary circumstance.

I put a lot of this on the passenger and the husband though. First, they knew about the medical condition and need for treatment and chose to travel out of the country. They also chose to stay in a country in which they did not trust the medical care. Finally, they were willing to drive to Prague to try to get on another flight. Instead, they could have driven to Vienna or Munich for medical care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.