Wiki Posts
Search

Student survey: Baggage Fee Preference

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Student survey: Baggage Fee Preference

Greetings Flyers!

I'm conducting a bit of "market research" for a school term paper, and I was looking to get a community consensus on baggage fees.

These fees have, unfortunately, become a reality on the majority of our flights. However, I was curious if the community had a preference for a specific type of payment scheme they'd prefer to travel with: pay for checked bags, pay for carry-on, or pay for both.

Keep in mind the total travel experience if you're answering the question, as opposed to simply the monetary payment. This includes: Time spent waiting for checked bags, faster boarding/unboarding with fewer carry-ons, etc

I've created a survey to collect responses, and would be greatly appreciative of any and all responses.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q8C5ZF3

Feel free to leave comments below if you have an explanation for your preference (I'd love to hear it).

Also, although I didn't include an "Other" option in the survey, any additional revenue mechanisms for baggage would also certainly be insightful.

Safe Flights!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:27 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
section3team9, welcome to FlyerTalk!

One important observation about the FlyerTalk community: a sizeable number of FlyerTalk members have elite status with the airline(s) they fly most often. With that status comes freedom from most or all checked bag fees.

Therefore, for so many FlyerTalk members, the limited number of choices you give to your one-question survey may not mesh with the makeup of much of the FlyerTalk Community.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 25, 2012 at 10:11 pm Reason: Clarification.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Welcome to FlyerTalk section3team9!

The above post details the issues with asking a question that doesn't apply to many of the respondents. If you haven't done so already, I highly encourage you to consider what the results say statistically based on the sample you collected and if you can consider FTers to be a random sample for which a normal or other approximation would be appropriate. Be sure to include a margin of error when stating your results.
Good luck on your report.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, everyone. You are correct in that I'm drawing upon a particular subset of the overall traveling base.

Even as fliers that avoid bag fees due to status, I'd like anyone interested in responding to consider overall flight quality when answering the question (perhaps I'll rephrase the question going forward).

For example, you may not have to pay for checked bags, but if checked bags became free again, perhaps you'd have to deal with a longer line due to more people checking their bags and tying up the ticketing agent.

Or, if passengers began having to pay for carry-ons, perhaps this would lead to a smoother entry and exit of the plane, and a greater chance of avoiding a delay.

Any additional insights that you all would have about the behavior you've noticed vis-a-vis various bag checking options would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.