FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Best tourist attractions in the world (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1409429-best-tourist-attractions-world.html)

titanikusa Nov 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Best tourist attractions in the world

The "Most overrated tourist attractions in the world" thread makes me want to know more about where I *should* visit. So, what are some of the better attractions, ones that lived up to expectations or even exceeded them.

I'll start. Venice. The whole city. I expected a tourist trap but, from the first view exiting the train station, wow.

iztok Nov 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Plitvice Lakes.

cjkcue Nov 20, 2012 7:21 pm

All of Rome.

fly_yag Nov 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Bagan Myanmar
Ha Long Bay Vietnam
Terracotta Warriors, Xian China
Cappadocia Turkey
Lalibela Ethiopia

worldiswide Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Jerusalem
Varanasi

Doc Savage Nov 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Iguazu Falls - Fall is a good time to go, March/April.

Everest.

Galapagos Islands.

will5404 Nov 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Banff / Jasper national parks
Tasmania

deniah Nov 21, 2012 1:05 am

angkor wat at sunrise

Skyman65 Nov 21, 2012 1:54 am

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 19721981)
angkor wat at sunrise

+1

Amazing experience.

theassassin Nov 21, 2012 1:54 am

Okavango Delta, Botswana
Paris, any time of year
Pyramids in Giza
Tasmania
Sydney (only because I live there an love it)
NYC
British Museum in London

Oops: that's more than 5!

I guess I need to travel more...

Skyman65 Nov 21, 2012 1:57 am

Originally Posted by titanikusa (Post 19720651)
I'll start. Venice. The whole city. I expected a tourist trap but, from the first view exiting the train station, wow.

Interestingly, when we were planning our trip to Italy, my boss' wife, who had lived in Italy for a couple years, advised us to cut Venice from our itinerary and spend more time in Florence. I am soooo glad we did not follow her advice. We absolutely LOVED Venice, and thought that Florence was just so-so. If I had to do it over, I would have cut Florence and spent more time in Rome.

jerry305 Nov 21, 2012 6:29 am

Toronto
Maui
Orlando

Gamecock Nov 21, 2012 6:34 am

Rome
Florence
Riding a horse through the deserts of SE Arizona at sunset.
The Arabian peninsula, at midnight during the winter, countless miles from any light source
Hiking in Big Bend National Park and taking a dip in an abandoned natural spring hot tub in a ghost town on the Rio Grande.
Africa. I have been all over the continent and always feel sad when leaving.

MarTN Nov 21, 2012 8:03 am

Lake Tahoe and surrounding area

There is something mindboggling about sitting on a sandy beach with beautiful water, looking at spectacular mountains, in the middle of winter wearing a down coat.

CMK10 Nov 21, 2012 8:55 am

The Chicago Art Institute. I went there for my first time this year, stayed two hours, saw maybe 10% of the place and am dying to go back.