Stealing from Lounges/Planes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stealing from Lounges/Planes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
I've walked out of lounges with a couple of cookies tucked away for use as an in-flight snack, which is technically a violation of club rules. Is it stealing? That's debatable. I've never nicked cutlery, china, or anything else, though.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: AC E75K
While I doubt anyone will raise too much of an eyebrow for taking an apple or cookie from the lounge, I can't fathom the OP being serious about taking cutlery and glassware.

His only "rationale" for why it might be acceptable seems to be that the items are rather nice...I'd be speechless if this is not a troll.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
What do you think about taking Amenity kits? my little brother collects them. and i like using them on trips etc.

would the FA let me take one if i ask? (when flying Y...from empty J seats at the end of the flight)
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
When an airline has a large number of things that are free to take, like slippers, magazines, eye covers. They usually start labeling smilar things like blankets with "property of" " do not remove"
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by photographer2012
What do you think about taking Amenity kits? my little brother collects them. and i like using them on trips etc.

would the FA let me take one if i ask? (when flying Y...from empty J seats at the end of the flight)
Collecting amenity kits is fine. Fun, even. I know people on FT who habitually collect them and donate them to local homeless shelters. If the FA is okay with it, so am I.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by catbox9
So this is probably a pretty obvious question but I wasn't finding much on google/here so I thought I'd post.

I haven't really been much of a flyer until the last year or so and now I fly a lot and have status and go into airline lounges all the time and noticed that the glasses/silverware is pretty cool. The not-quite-kleptomaniac in me wants to steal these items, but I'm sure that's pretty frowned upon so I haven't actually stolen anything. Thoughts?
By all means, please take whatever you like!

I hope you had a first class ticket, since I'll have a better chance for an upgrade when you are arrested and don't make your flight.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Like I said before, I don't actually take this stuff from the lounge, but wouldn't mind having some. I see it on eBay and wonder where these people get it. If they're just stealing it and then reselling it for a profit, it seems dumb to pay for it when someone could just steal it for themselves.

The other reason I mentioned this as if it was at least somewhat plausible is recently I was at a restaurant and only ate part of my food and got a to go box. When I asked the waitress for a little cup or something to put the sauce in, she insisted that I just take the container it came in because that was easier. This container was not some sort of disposable container and certainly not meant to be removed from the restaurant. I didn't really want the container, but the sauce was important for the meal and I didn't want to dump it all over everything so I ended up stealing the container. It now sits in my cupboard where it will almost certainly never be used.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Braniff's klepto old lady commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jfSyzH5z2M
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by clacko
going way back when the attaboy/girl hand outs started at aa, i gave one to each of the 3 fa's & they gave me a barf bag full of booze...probably late 80's....
I certainly hope the booze was still in the mini bottles!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:14 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
a quick search on eBay will reveal that it seems to be a reasonably common practice
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
So far as I know, the vast majority of these items for sale on ebay are not stolen. I know a couple of guys who worked for TWA for years and when the airline would switch out one style of cutlery and china for another every few years, the old stuff would be available to employees through the company store. And it wasn't just TWA either. Having worked in the industry myself over the years, I know this was common practice with most other major airlines as well, whenever they rebranded a service or the plates and glasses simply got old and needed to be replaced.
Another source of items (especially for defunct carriers) are "as is" sales held by the company or entity that is liquidating the carrier's assets. I clearly remember a public sale being held in Miami to sell off the assets of Eastern Airlines. I was out of town on the day of the sale, but several co-workers purchased items, some of them never used (glasware, etc) and still in the original boxes.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
I'm not sure if this is a related question, but I'm wondering if anyone has managed to score some minis of alcohol from the FAs? Or more specifically, would they give you alcohol if they knew you didn't intend to drink it onboard?

I've done it once on a 2.5 hour flight in domestic F, when the FA served my drink with 2 minis and I only finished one before dinner. I had some wine during dinner, and something else after. I pocketed the unopened mini and took it home.
Back in the days when I traveled often, and the "2 minis at original beverage service" applied up front, I, a modest drinker, carried away a stream of "seconds", always a better deal than hotel minibars.

Then there was a return from reserve training, DL, SFO/DFW, the height of the Vietnam protests, when after a unpleasant experience at SFO witnessed by a couple of FAs, I, clad in dress blues with a couple of rows of mostly "gedunk" ribbons (the "been there, done that" class of decoration), was rewarded by 4 splits of domestic champagne to be tucked away in my flight bag. I suspect that, even after being bumped up to F, the FA (who told me her fiance was a Naval Aviator) felt my pain.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
What about taking a full bottle of wine from the lounge?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by catbox9
When I asked the waitress for a little cup or something to put the sauce in, she insisted that I just take the container it came in because that was easier. This container was not some sort of disposable container and certainly not meant to be removed from the restaurant. I didn't really want the container, but the sauce was important for the meal and I didn't want to dump it all over everything so I ended up stealing the container.
You have an interesting definition of stealing. She, as employee of the restaurant, gave the sauce container to you, so then it is your to keep, a little present. Stealing would be if you just took the container with sauce without asking.

That being said: would you really risk a record for stealing $5 worth of IKEA cutlery from an airline lounge?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:03 pm

Maybe simply ask? I used to fly Alaska Air a lot and when I was moving, on what was pretty much my last flight with that airline (for the forseeable future), I simply asked the FA if I could take a glass with AS markings on it as a keepsake. That wasn't an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.