Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:41 am
Original Poster

"Flight" -- Starring Denzel Washington. Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ53JCLG9I0

Thoughts:

-- How awesome is that last shot?

-- Looks like an MD-80 with winglets and a 3-2 economy cabin configuration. What say you equipment gurus?

-- It would make sense to use an MD-80 since they are no longer in production. Still, Boeing could throw a fit over the plot as could the carriers that still use the model.

-- That's a mighty nice house for a captain at a regional. Are they hiring?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by PaulKarl
-- It would make sense to use an MD-80 since they are no longer in production. Still, Boeing could throw a fit over the plot as could the carriers that still use the model.
Looks like a DC-9 due to the shape of the nose... otherwise it could be MD8x/9x or B717.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Nadine Velazquez

And now the information you really want.

The hot flight attendant is played by Nadine Velazquez, an actress who has mostly done television work including a recurring stint on My Name Is Earl. Looks like she's starting to land movie roles.

And she was in Chasing Papi, which is the Fairchild Semiconductor of scorching hot Latina actresses.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: BA
Range of nonsenses

Not at all. There are so many aspects of impossibility of flying an MD80 inverted like that, starting with the fact that to fly inverted, level, you need the nose up at about 20 degrees - look at a stunt plane at an airshow. The fuel flow would quit in a moment as the fuel outlet from the bottom of the tank would now be at the top (an aerobatic plane needs a special aerobatic fuel system to overcome this) - need I go on ?

Didn't the same actor appear in pretty much the same script about a train not long ago - "Unstoppable" ? That was a load of inane bo11ocks from beginning to end as well.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Palal
Looks like a DC-9 due to the shape of the nose... otherwise it could be MD8x/9x or B717.
A few MD-80s were used. DL supplied one MD-88. Here's a shot of the bird used returning from Atlanta's Fulton County Airport back to ATL after the MD-88 was used for filming.
DL MD-88 @ Atlanta Fulton County for "Flight"

In the same discussion where I found that picture, another user made a post outlining which other two aircraft were used for the movie. (Reply 23)
New Movie "Flight"

I'm looking forward to when this movie comes out.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
Wow (as I type this from a 738 en route to DTW getting the snot kicked out of us by turbulence...)
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
There are so many aspects of impossibility of flying an MD80 inverted like that, starting with the fact that to fly inverted, level, you need the nose up at about 20 degrees - look at a stunt plane at an airshow. The fuel flow would quit in a moment as the fuel outlet from the bottom of the tank would now be at the top (an aerobatic plane needs a special aerobatic fuel system to overcome this) - need I go on ?
No. Look closely at the clip. The plane's nose is tilted up. The tilt is obscured because of the tilt of the camera angle, but it can be seen in relation to the roof at the beginning of that shot.

Robert Zemeckis is a pilot as well as a geek, so I'm sure the film will be as accurate as a good story and effects technology alllows.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm actually looking forward to this film. I like that there's a central moral question and that Denzel isn't squeaky clean for once in his damn acting life (except Training Day). Plus, it looks beautifully shot and I like the Director.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:46 pm

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ53JCLG9I0

Thoughts:

-- Looks like an MD-80 with winglets and a 3-2 economy cabin configuration. What say you equipment gurus?

-- That's a mighty nice house for a captain at a regional. Are they hiring?
No one complained about the 747 in Snakes on a Plane
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by t325
No one complained about the 747 in Snakes on a Plane
Hawaii did complain about the fact that snakes were on a plane from Hawaii
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak

-- That's a mighty nice house for a captain at a regional.
Regional? What "regional" uses MD-80's? Clearly meant to be a mainline carrier, obviously a fictional airline because what airline would agree to lend their name to a movie about a plane crash?

Originally Posted by WHBM
- need I go on ?
Please do continue to enlighten us about how Hollywood movies sometimes do not portray a 100% accurate representation of reality.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Clearly meant to be a mainline carrier, obviously a fictional airline because what airline would agree to lend their name to a movie about a plane crash?
There was this low budget film "Cast Away" with some no-name actor Tom Hanks where they used a FedEx plane. But not too many people saw it.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
There was this low budget film "Cast Away" with some no-name actor Tom Hanks where they used a FedEx plane. But not too many people saw it.
Touche, but FedEx is not a passenger airline. They don't have to worry about selling tickets.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Touche, but FedEx is not a passenger airline. They don't have to worry about selling tickets.
And at the end of the day, Tom Hanks STILL DELIVERED THE FED-EX PACKAGE ^
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm actually looking forward to this film. I like that there's a central moral question and that Denzel isn't squeaky clean for once in his damn acting life (except Training Day). Plus, it looks beautifully shot and I like the Director.
Other than the aforementioned Training Day, there was American Gangster (a straight up criminal) and Out of Time (guilty of a crime and trying to cover his tracks and deflect suspicion away from himself). His characters in Devil in a Blue Dress and Philadelphia were not angels either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.